Official Game thread: KU vs Wofford

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Official Game thread: KU vs Wofford

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17 am I wish Garrett would STOP shooting 3s. No matter how wide open he is. It's possible, at times, he's that wide open because the other team is playing to the scouting report.
At least Garrett's 20% from three is better than Dedric Lawson's 9% and Charlie Moore's 12%.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:20 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:17 am I wish Garrett would STOP shooting 3s. No matter how wide open he is. It's possible, at times, he's that wide open because the other team is playing to the scouting report.
At least Garrett's 20% from three is better than Dedric Lawson's 9% and Charlie Moore's 12%.
And yet if my life depended on someone making a 3pt attempt Dedric, Moore, and even Snacks would all be chosen before I'd even consider Garrett.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

It was nice to see us wallop Wofford in the end. Was looking ugly for a while...
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Self says even though the score didn’t reflect it as much, Wofford may have been the best we played. Without Doke, without Vick, we defended well and did the little things to get better.
I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Played with more purposes and energy defensively. Guarded from half court. Stepped out a foot farther. Disrupted their best players. For whole game.
I am, I said.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Huh. I saw them missing open shots they usually make and crushing us on the glass.

Dotson and Garrett out there together on the perimeter are pretty awesome - haven't had two defenders on the perimeter like that since RussRob and BRush. But they can't shoot.

I like seeing Garrett shooting those wide open threes. If he can't ever make them we're fucked because teams can just have a free safety in the post. But if he doesn't shoot them it guarantees that teams can do that. I'd rather take the chance that he eventually gets up to 30%.
Deleted User 75

He's taken 55 3pt shots in his career.....he's made 14. There is nothing to like about that....and you don't want guys who shoot 30% from 3 taking a bunch of 3s every game....so I'd prefer he pass the ball and look for a higher percentage shot for himself or someone else.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

You're getting way too bent out of shape about this. Garrett only shoots 3's when the possession is already lost. The options are 1. He shoots a wide open set 3, 2. He takes a dribble and shoots, or 3. Shot clock violation.

1 is a 25% chance of 3 points
2 is a 10% chance of 2 points
3 is a 100% chance of 0 points
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

WTF dude you need to go back and watch some film. Garrett does not only shoots 3's when the possession is already lost. Therefore all that other stuff is irrelevant.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hartjack8 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:01 pm WTF dude you need to go back and watch some film. Garrett does not only shoots 3's when the possession is already lost. Therefore all that other stuff is irrelevant.
The point is that Garrett's not taking 3 point shots after 1-2 passes. He and everyone knows that his jump shot is not option 1, 2, or 3 on any given possession. It's always after 3-4 passes and at that point, with around 10 or less seconds on the shot clock, the probability of scoring is very low. A wide-open 3, even from Garrett, is our best chance to score on that possession. He should take that shot rather than putting the ball on the floor and airballing a 17 footer.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Garrett is an offensive juggernaut when has open lay-ups.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Sorry my fault. I thought Garrett's best offense was taking it to the rim.
Either make the basket or go to the line. I thought he was decent from the line but then I saw he was less than 50% last year.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Garret's defense and ball handling will keep him on the floor.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

maybe i’m misremembering, but seems Garrett has taken a fair number of 3s early in the shot clock
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:16 am maybe i’m misremembering, but seems Garrett has taken a fair number of 3s early in the shot clock
I can remember a few where it wasn't a "shoot it or it'll be an empty possession" type of scenario.

If Ben Simmons can resist the urge to shoot 3s even when (purposely) left wide open then I have to imagine Garrett can find a way to do something similar...obviously it's inevitable he will have to take some shots, and he should, but our players also have to be aware in late clock situations who they are getting the ball to.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We all agree, and so does Garrett and the team, that he shouldn't be taking shots early in the clock. He's not really doing that anymore. If he does, that's bad, and Self has and will let him know. Nothing to worry about. He's going to end up taking 1-2 3's per game, let's just hope he inches to 30% plus.
Deleted User 75

1 or 2 3s per game seems like a lot to me for the minutes he plays, but I guess his minutes are likely to increase...so we will see. If he was chucking completely ill-advised 3s then Self would sit his ass down, so I assume he's not doing anything totally unwanted by our staff.