NFL Offseason 2021

Kansas Football.
Cascadia

Re: NFL Offseason 2021

Post by Cascadia »

If you have the #1 QB, #1 TE, #2-3 WR, and several other good WR/RB's, you don't waste 3rd and 4th round draft picks on WR's.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

The G they just got in 6th round, if healthy, is a top rookie OL. That’s the player you go for on late rounds.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Pooka to the Bengals.
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

pdub wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:14 pm Pooka to the Bengals.
I believe not a single Jayhawk was drafted. Correct? Incorrect?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Correct. A Jayhawks was not drafted. Pooka a bit of a surprise. Heard 5th/6th round projections.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:37 pm Correct. A Jayhawks was not drafted. Pooka a bit of a surprise. Heard 5th/6th round projections.
Should’ve finished his season here.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Herbert, who was really a Jayhawk, to the Bears
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Give the Chiefs a B on the actual draft.
But I'll give em an A- on the offseason.
Their addressing the OLine was tops--you could argue the Chiefs have a top 5 line now.

But the WR market was ripe for one year prove it deals and we didnt get anyone. And then waited til late to get a guy who struggled for PT in college at points.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Pdub: agre to a point on W/R, but I think the Chiefs got a steal and a possession guy they needed. I give the Chiefs an A for upgrading where they needed it. They always seem to find overlooked athletes. 6'-7" DEs who are freaks of nature. Got another former QB TE who looks and measures out like Kelce. Unsigned FAs are out there too--
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I am starting to hate the chiefs in the way that so many hated the patriots for so long.

Almost every team that has a shockingly bad performance by an entire o-line unit in the playoffs has to scratch and claw to put together a better line over several seasons.

Chiefs retool it in 2 months.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:25 pm I am starting to hate the chiefs in the way that so many hated the patriots for so long.

Almost every team that has a shockingly bad performance by an entire o-line unit in the playoffs has to scratch and claw to put together a better line over several seasons.

Chiefs retool it in 2 months.
“ It's good to be king, if just for a while”
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:05 am Give the Chiefs a B on the actual draft.
But I'll give em an A- on the offseason.
Their addressing the OLine was tops--you could argue the Chiefs have a top 5 line now.

But the WR market was ripe for one year prove it deals and we didnt get anyone. And then waited til late to get a guy who struggled for PT in college at points.
There needs to be a consensus on whether the proceeds from a traded pick should count in the grading. If it does, then I don't see how you give anything less than an A- for a draft in which you got the line all the way to a strength and added another guy that really should be a 5+ year starter on defense. And you also took a guy who might be able, in time, to at least approximate what Kelce does, as well as high-upside lottery tickets at DE and OG.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

B+ Draft.
A offseason.

Day 2 of draft was a bit eh. Spending 2 2nd round picks on NFL average linebackers in back-to-back years is a bit underwhelming. Fine with Humphrey, he'll just get pushed around by bigger guys and will have Thuney and Long next to him his first year, which will help. But Day 3 draft was outstanding. Got WR depth, got a freak at DE, got a guy who is a top guard in the draft if he doesn't develop blood clots. And a decent backup TE who can do some things Kelce can do.

But the offseason as a whole has been about as good as it could go.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So...what's the OLine? My guesses:

LT Brown
LG Thuney
C Blythe
RG LDT
RT Remmers

Long will compete for RG. Niang for RT.
Then you have Humphrey and Allegretti.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Long is better than LDT. LDT more athletic, but I think the Chiefs are done with screens and athletic linemen. They need some guys that are stone walls.

Brown
Thuney
Humphrey
Long
Niang

Blythe will be a interior backup, as will Allegretti and Remmers will be the swing tackle.

UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Teams usually carry 8 o-linemen? The Chiefs will have Brown, Thuney, Long, LDT, Niang, Blythe, Humphrey, Remmers, and Allegretti. Allegretti is probably the odd man out and gets cut this year.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Very rare that they do keep 8. But I mean, Long was just brought out of retirement. So you don't know how his body will respond.

UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

If Humphrey is the real deal, I could see Blythe getting let go as well. Also forget about Trey Smith, the other guy they drafted, he's another interior guy.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Good point. Raved about him and forgot about him. Allegretti is gone. Blythe could be gone too.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:47 am Teams usually carry 8 o-linemen? The Chiefs will have Brown, Thuney, Long, LDT, Niang, Blythe, Humphrey, Remmers, and Allegretti. Allegretti is probably the odd man out and gets cut this year.
Chiefs love Allegretti, and he is versatile. Wouldn't surprise me if LDT is the odd man out, depending on who's cheaper to cut between him and Blythe.

Also: Humphrey will start. No way in hell you burn a second on a C if you don't think he can start right away.