Another Stimulus Check?

Ugh.
Cascadia

Re: Another Stimulus Check?

Post by Cascadia »

JKLivin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:58 pm Who the hell owns/manages that hardees? That's who's lazy and entitled. Why did you wait to this point to hire someone? Where was the forethought and planning? If no one's applying raise the pay. If you're understaffed, offer overtime. Call a friend/family/neighbor to help you. Go in early yourself and do more prep work, stay late to clean up. Who the hell just doesn't open the store they own/manage?

If I was the franchisee, I'd be in there working myself, to make sure I didn't have this kind of embarrassment? We're upset at the wrong lazy person here, where is the pride and honor in the franchisee? Make it a better place to work
Don't know if you've ever had to make payroll or turn a profit for a privately-owned business, but there's a point at which you can't spend any more money and still make any. If you're going to pay Stoner Bob $15 an hour to flip burgers, then those burgers have to go up in price. Then the consumer begins to wonder if that burger is really worth the $8.95 they're paying for it, which means that business goes down. But Stoner Bob still expects his $15 an hour for showing up late, taking a smoke break every 45 minutes, and getting the orders wrong. So, whose pocket does that come out of? The "lazy" franchise owner who probably mortgaged his house to pay the original franchise fee and is trying to keep his head above water.
Man, this level of stupidity is impressive. Well done.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

JKLivin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 am But Stoner Bob still expects his $15 an hour for showing up late, taking a smoke break every 45 minutes, and getting the orders wrong.
Did you ever consider that the above quotation and way of thinking are a big part of what caused the below quotation to become a thing of the past?
JKLivin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 amPeople used to take pride in working to support themselves. There was honor in work, regardless of how much one made.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m just bummed no one else actually read the tweet replies

lulz
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:45 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:26 pm The replies...lulz

https://twitter.com/repdavidrouzer/stat ... 86080?s=21
People used to take pride in working to support themselves. There was honor in work, regardless of how much one made. Today, people are conditioned to sit and wait for their check and complain that they aren't being paid enough to bus tables and wash dishes.
I don't think it's that. I just think life has too many fun things available and people don't want to work jobs where they can't have those things. Cell phones, cars, cable, internet etc... all that shit is expensive yet people making the bare minimum seem to feel that they can't do without them.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

JKLivin wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:33 am
PhDhawk wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:58 pm Who the hell owns/manages that hardees? That's who's lazy and entitled. Why did you wait to this point to hire someone? Where was the forethought and planning? If no one's applying raise the pay. If you're understaffed, offer overtime. Call a friend/family/neighbor to help you. Go in early yourself and do more prep work, stay late to clean up. Who the hell just doesn't open the store they own/manage?

If I was the franchisee, I'd be in there working myself, to make sure I didn't have this kind of embarrassment? We're upset at the wrong lazy person here, where is the pride and honor in the franchisee? Make it a better place to work
Don't know if you've ever had to make payroll or turn a profit for a privately-owned business, but there's a point at which you can't spend any more money and still make any. If you're going to pay Stoner Bob $15 an hour to flip burgers, then those burgers have to go up in price. Then the consumer begins to wonder if that burger is really worth the $8.95 they're paying for it, which means that business goes down. But Stoner Bob still expects his $15 an hour for showing up late, taking a smoke break every 45 minutes, and getting the orders wrong. So, whose pocket does that come out of? The "lazy" franchise owner who probably mortgaged his house to pay the original franchise fee and is trying to keep his head above water.
Then the owner should hire better managers and incentivize them to hire better and train their staff better so that they don't have Stoner Bob's fucking things up and scaring off business. Either that or don't buy a business that has "constant turnover of low caliber staff" as a known business risk. All investments have risk. If you cannot afford that risk then you cannot afford to buy that franchise in the first place.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Could it be that people ARE taking pride in supporting themselves, and find honor in their work, so they went and found jobs better than what Hardee’s offered?

One could just as easily say that refusing to work a shitty job for shitty wages is the most free market thing ever.

fast food workers were mostly considered essential, and weren’t laid off like many other industries, right? Or if they were, you think that Hardee’s manager regrets it now?

Maybe this is just what happens when you marginalize your workforce for too long. We’ve been told that these jobs are meant for high school kids, and don’t deserve to be paid more, and blah blah blah, and after shitting all over these jobs for decades, we’re suddenly supposed to be surprised that no one wants to work them?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:35 am Could it be that people ARE taking pride in supporting themselves, and find honor in their work, so they went and found jobs better than what Hardee’s offered?

One could just as easily say that refusing to work a shitty job for shitty wages is the most free market thing ever.

fast food workers were mostly considered essential, and weren’t laid off like many other industries, right? Or if they were, you think that Hardee’s manager regrets it now?

Maybe this is just what happens when you marginalize your workforce for too long. We’ve been told that these jobs are meant for high school kids, and don’t deserve to be paid more, and blah blah blah, and after shitting all over these jobs for decades, we’re suddenly supposed to be surprised that no one wants to work them?
I think it is better to have a low-wage job than to sit at home and do nothing or collect a check. Then again, there have been very few periods of my life since the age of 18 when I wasn't working at least two, if not three, jobs at the same time, so my expectations of life may be out of kilter with the rest of the world.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I thought that might be you.

Welcome back, psych!
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:35 am
Absolutely.

....but only as long as the governement isnt giving them money for not working. Then it is no longer representative of a free market.

Not saying i blame them or that i am against the unemployment assistantance. For many the unemployment assistance was needed and a lifesaver. I would imagine the majority of people do not abuse the system, but of course some do/will (and that holds true with most things).

I mentioned it before, but the golf course i belong to actually had numerous employees coming into work and NOT clocking in. Basically they decided they would make more on unemployment (which is true), but didn't want to screw over their employer so they still worked, but not on the clock so that they could still collect unemployment. This is obviously an instance of abusing the system, but also speaks to the system itself. These lower wage workers still wanted to come into work so they didn't screw over the course even though they could sit at home and still get paid.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

A person should want to earn their own money and not take a handout.

That said, if I was on unemployment, making a couple grand a month, or whatever it is right now with the Federal subsidy, I'd only be applying for good jobs.

You're crazy if you're making $3,000 a month on unemployment and you would take a $7 an hour job. I mean, you can say you would, but that's just dumb...no one would.

That being said, if you're not actively applying for jobs, you are a lazy ass and should be ashamed of yourself. Or if you're committing fraud.

But, I think there's an important point about Unemployment. It's a form of insurance. If you qualify for it, legitimately, and follow the rules, there should be no shame in receiving it.

But, the original post suggested that the stimulus check plays a role in this, and that's bullshit. No one quits their job, or stopped looking for a job because they got a $600 or $800 check. And the people who think that are just gullible assholes who view people in the worst light. Who the fuck wouldn't want to make money AND cash that $1400 worth of checks?

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

all the freebies from a year ago were needed at the time. maybe even 6 months ago.

but the economy and this great country is getting back on track. the time to shut off the freebee spickit is past due.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 am
Absolutely.

....but only as long as the governement isnt giving them money for not working. Then it is no longer representative of a free market.

I mean, it's much much more of a free market than the one you pretend exists in college sports and you use that to support the notion that colleges should pay players.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

they will never get off the teet unless you kick them off the teet.
Deleted User 863

PhDhawk wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:40 am
Absolutely.

I mean, it's much much more of a free market than the one you pretend exists in college sports and you use that to support the notion that colleges should pay players.
No.

I never once have said COLLEGES should pay players. They should not.

But if BUFU (By Us Fuck You *how high movie*) wants to pay Frank Mason to be in their commercial for skinny jeans then he shouldn't be forbidden from doing so.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Tue May 04, 2021 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 am they will never get off the teet unless you kick them off the teet.
Please define "them".
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 863

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 am they will never get off the teet unless you kick them off the teet.
Plenty have.

My wife collected unemployment for 4 weeks. She is a therapist and the hospital she worked at laid her off and told her to collect unemployment until they figured out a plan....while they figured out their plan she found a new job doing therapy virtually (and started about 4 weeks after the initial lay off) which actually pays her better money...eventually her old job figured out their plan and she worked both jobs for about the last 6-9 months. Then decided to quit the hospital that treated their employees poorly and offered as minimal money/benefits as possible and is doing solely the virtual counseling from home.

She stuck it to the man Ousdahl! You'd have been proud.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

According to the DOL website, the $600/week subsidy ended in January, and the $300/week subsidy ended in mid-March...so what am I missing, what are we even talking about, here? Seems to me they're already being "kicked off the teet".

I haven't heard anyone advocate for extending it longer? I certainly wouldn't, everyone should get vaccinated and get back to work.

Sometimes it seems like Mich is just yelling at the wind, trying to make himself feel superior to others.
Last edited by PhDhawk on Tue May 04, 2021 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

anyone that has to work 3 jobs to “get by” isn’t doing something right
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

uncle joe extended and increased the federal boost to unemployment in march 2021 as part of the 2 trillion giveaway. it was increased to $400.00. and extended to september 2021.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

look for uncle joe to increase and extend the federal boost to unemployment through the midterm elections.