Play McCormack over Lightfoot

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 75

Re: Play McCormack over Lightfoot

Post by Deleted User 75 »

We went small this game a lot (sigh)....but it looks like he's on the outside looking in for rotation minutes at the moment. He's still a useful luxury because I'm sure we'll have some foul trouble occasionally.
bigB

Post by bigB »

painter wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:55 pm Should I start a "LaGerald you better play better or you're going to be losing minutes" thread or nah?

Good thinking
painter

Post by painter »

painter wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:55 pm Should I start a "LaGerald you better play better or you're going to be losing minutes" thread or nah?
^^^ Yo. Do you even watch basketball bro. Come on son. lol
painter

Post by painter »

bigB wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Good thinking
My thread motivated him. You should actually be thanking me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:54 pm We went small this game a lot (sigh)....but it looks like he's on the outside looking in for rotation minutes at the moment. He's still a useful luxury because I'm sure we'll have some foul trouble occasionally.
Sigh?

We have a shitload of really good perimeter players. That can win a shitload of games. Even with this roster if we play a shitload of small ball, I’m totally cool with that.

But, if our shitload of small ball winning works best with 4 guards and a big yuge center, we gots two of them, neither of whom are named Mitch.

Also how much have we discussed Dedrick at the 5?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

painter wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:03 pm
bigB wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:00 pm

Good thinking
My thread motivated him. You should actually be thanking me.
no, he read my posts calling him out after the msu game

get it straight
Deleted User 75

ousdahl wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:08 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:54 pm We went small this game a lot (sigh)....but it looks like he's on the outside looking in for rotation minutes at the moment. He's still a useful luxury because I'm sure we'll have some foul trouble occasionally.
Sigh?

We have a shitload of really good perimeter players. That can win a shitload of games. Even with this roster if we play a shitload of small ball, I’m totally cool with that.

But, if our shitload of small ball winning works best with 4 guards and a big yuge center, we gots two of them, neither of whom are named Mitch.

Also how much have we discussed Dedrick at the 5?
We must have different definitions of "shit load" and "really good".

We have 5 guards. Moore and Garrett are not what I'd consider "really good".....Dotson probably isn't yet either. Vick and Grimes are.

None of that meant as a knock on our guys, but dedric and Dok are our 2 best players and if they're not playing as much as possible then we won't reach our full potential. Obviously fouls dictated a bit of our rotation last night, but I'd sure have liked seeing McCormack get some minutes instead of playing a small ball 4 guard lineup with only 1 or 2 good shooters on the floor.

Small ball works well with good shooters.

Our strength is in our size....not perimeter shooting.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Agree our strength is in our size.
Dedric was a disaster and in foul trouble.
Vermont was better than I expected - they had a good game plan ( swarming the inside on the entry ) - I think we needed to cut more into traffic with Dotson/Grimes to cause chaos in what they were doing. Charlie Moore did a little bit of that. Vick didn't need to by raining fire from distance.

The only guys who had good games were Vick and Dok.
Our freshmen were off.
Our transfers were even further off.
Deleted User 75

I was surprised to see Vermont struggled with Boston prior to playing us.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I agree that our strength is in our size, but that's not to say our perimeter isn't also a strength.

If we're winning by feeding the bigs, great. But if we're winning with small ball, awesome, more winning!

Matchups, foul trouble, who's hot, who's not, a lot of things can determine what lineup has the best chance to win.

Let's not get caught up in the idea we have to constantly force the issue down low - especially considering our depth and options at the perimeter. And yes, I consider Charlie and Marcus "really good" 4th and 5th options in the rotation. How many other teams have players like that coming off the bench?

And as of right now, our frontcourt is actually not that deep. We're only playing 3 guys, with a considerable dropoff when Mitch comes in. That is, of course, unless we can FREE MCCORMACK, and/or free Silvio too, sigh.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and I'll ask again:

how much do we expect from Dedrick at the 5?
Deleted User 75

I see no difference between the 4 and 5 this year the majority of the time. He's (dedric) always been the backup 5 in my mind because Lightfoot isn't capable of guarding 5s (most of the time) and McCormack isn't going to play much it appears. At least not right away.

Dok hopefully can play 25+min per night and then dedric can slide to the main big those other 15mins, while mitch slides to the 4 when he comes in. Dedric played 38 minutes against Michigan state....my guess is in close games he will play 35+ frequently.
Jayhawks14

Post by Jayhawks14 »

Love Mitch and how much of a team player he is. But athletically McCormick needs to play, he’ll be there come crunch time. All this can be erased if/when Silvio comes back.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

One guy in the thread title won a ballgame for us tonight.
I am, I said.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Best game of his career IMO
Deleted User 75

Thank you Mitch.

Last night it was easy to see why he plays over guys with more talent than him.

Self can trust him to do some simple yet effective plays, such as the screen and roll he did with Vick coming out of a TO that got us an easy dunk. Hung in there and got some important charge calls too.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Our best lineup was with two bigs. Both mitch and mac should have gotten a lot of minutes.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:04 am Our best lineup was with two bigs. Both mitch and mac should have gotten a lot of minutes.
Agreed. Small ball doesn't work well without shooters imo.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Mitch’s best game yet. Plays smart and takes opportunities as they come. Keep it coming.

He’s still a liability guarding 1 on 1, and this team still has a way higher ceiling with McCormack up to speed, but glad Mitch is on our team.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:50 am
PhDhawk wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:04 am Our best lineup was with two bigs. Both mitch and mac should have gotten a lot of minutes.
Agreed. Small ball doesn't work well without shooters imo.
yes. small ball isnt gonna work the way it did last year. not enough shooting keeps us from spreading the floor and its not an advantage.