Re: Random KUBB you remember

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

Winter park pub.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Sparko wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:28 pm Does anyone else remember the Len Bias game with Manning? That one was a surprise to me. And kind of redoubled the tragedy of his loss later. Manning kept getting the absolute best other teams could send at him, making the 1988 championship all the sweeter. Great Alaska Shootout.
Yes, I was listening to Max and Bob on a crackly radio in my lab in Mallott Hall. I think it was fall of 1985 and Max was going on about a late foul call that put Maryland up by 3, and the three pointer was still a couple of years away. I’ll swear that there was a Faraday Cage around the building because the AM reception was so poor and if the KLZR broadcast was bad we got nothing. I’m not sure if the FM feed was even up then
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

zsn wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:50 pm
Sparko wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 12:28 pm Does anyone else remember the Len Bias game with Manning? That one was a surprise to me. And kind of redoubled the tragedy of his loss later. Manning kept getting the absolute best other teams could send at him, making the 1988 championship all the sweeter. Great Alaska Shootout.
Yes, I was listening to Max and Bob on a crackly radio in my lab in Mallott Hall. I think it was fall of 1985 and Max was going on about a late foul call that put Maryland up by 3, and the three pointer was still a couple of years away. I’ll swear that there was a Faraday Cage around the building because the AM reception was so poor and if the KLZR broadcast was bad we got nothing. I’m not sure if the FM feed was even up then
Ha! Pretty much the same for me. I lived down 19th St and was finishing my last semester. I think I listened to KANU though.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the KD game at Allen Fieldhouse. Technically Texas was #15 that day, but Durant put on a show.

Texas was up by like 16 in the first, KU pulled away in the second (I believe there was an injury issue) and held on to win.

I was there in person, and just remember being in awe of KD.
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:58 am I'm surprised no one has mentioned the KD game at Allen Fieldhouse. Technically Texas was #15 that day, but Durant put on a show.

Texas was up by like 16 in the first, KU pulled away in the second (I believe there was an injury issue) and held on to win.

That game was nuts. It still blows me away that Durant was picked second in the draft to Greg Oden.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if KD hadn’t gotten hurt (ankle?), ut wins in Allen
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

punkrockhawk wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:19 am
JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:58 am I'm surprised no one has mentioned the KD game at Allen Fieldhouse. Technically Texas was #15 that day, but Durant put on a show.

That game was nuts. It still blows me away that Durant was picked second in the draft to Greg Oden.
I remember leaving that game thinking he's the #1 pick. He has to be. The whole time they were debating him and Oden it just seemed like KD moved, handled and shot in a way no one had seen for someone with his length.

I thought then that Portland blew the pick and that was before Oden's injuries cut his career short.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

I was going to mention it, but it didn't fit he criteria, lol. First game I ever saw in Allen.

Was stuck in Watertown, SD for 2 days because a blizzard shut down I-29 basically from ND all the way to MO. Ended up hopping over to Minnesota and taking county roads down through Nebraska, driving through the night, ignoring a few road closed barriers along the way. Pull into Lawrence about 7:30-8 am. Just in time to grab some breakfast and head to the Fieldhouse for the 11 am tip.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I remember that one ( KU v KD ) very well too.
Listened to it over streaming radio in bed with a lady I used to sleep with*.

*®Shirley
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:28 am if KD hadn’t gotten hurt (ankle?), ut wins in Allen
We had stormed back and taken the lead prior to his ankle injury.

We would have won.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Kansas was ahead 71-65 when Durant left the game.
Then Sherron Collins had 20 off the bench in the rematch in OKC for the B12 final.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I was there!

My dad too, who scored tickets on the other side of AFH.

At halftime, I remember texting him, “Kevin Durant is the antichrist”
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

If I remember correctly, the rematch went about the same way. KD start off hot and unstoppable then we found a way to win it.
Defense. Rebounds.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Durant thing is a familiar theme with Kansas--there have been various unconscious, crazy scoring performances, from Greene, Honneycutt et al years ago to the Geico Caveman this year. When I was a kid, Herkle freaking Ivey. Jack Givens. Burke. Amazing what the team brings out in competition.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

The game that ended the home court winning streak in '88 vs KSU. I'm 14, and my dad and I are driving from Topeka to Lawrence (I think we were headed to Lawrence, I do know we were between Topeka and Lawrence on I-70) and the car breaks down. My dad had one of those portable B/W TVs with maybe a 6 inch screen that could plug into the cigarette lighter. I remember us staying in the car, watching that TV until the end of the game, then walking to an overpass, climbing the fence, and walking to the closest farmhouse to use their phone to call my step mom to pick us up.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How much of those crazy scoring performances happened mostly in the first half?

At least in the first game, Durant started out hitting pull up J’s from 30 feet out and stuff. Hard for anyone to sustain a performance like that. Even Durant.
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

Sparko wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:19 pm The Durant thing is a familiar theme with Kansas--there have been various unconscious, crazy scoring performances, from Greene, Honneycutt et al years ago to the Geico Caveman this year. When I was a kid, Herkle freaking Ivey. Jack Givens. Burke. Amazing what the team brings out in competition.
The crazy part too, is that we have won so many games where some player on the other team had a career night against us!
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

kubowler99 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:26 pm The game that ended the home court winning streak in '88 vs KSU. I'm 14, and my dad and I are driving from Topeka to Lawrence (I think we were headed to Lawrence, I do know we were between Topeka and Lawrence on I-70) and the car breaks down. My dad had one of those portable B/W TVs with maybe a 6 inch screen that could plug into the cigarette lighter. I remember us staying in the car, watching that TV until the end of the game, then walking to an overpass, climbing the fence, and walking to the closest farmhouse to use their phone to call my step mom to pick us up.
What a story! I was in AFH for that loss, the next loss (OU) and the one after that (Dook). I was also at the previous two home losses (OU in 84 and UK in 83). I also saw about 60 home wins!

Actually two other Roi wins I remember was the UCLA game in AFH in 95 when we were down by nearly 20 and came back...we had gone out to cut our “holiday tree” in Connecticut and my friends wanted to have lunch. Took a lot of effort to extricate ourselves to get home and catch the second half.

In 2003 I was in Chicago for a manufacture site visit and caught the epic UT game at AFH in the ESPN bar. Really miserable night, cold and snowy. Just a few people, but several KU fans.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I was at Allen in 93 when we lost to Long Beach State. It devasted 11 or 12 year old TDub. I didnt speak for 3 days. Not a word on the ride home, not a word for 3 days.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:02 pm I was at Allen in 93 when we lost to Long Beach State. It devasted 11 or 12 year old TDub. I didnt speak for 3 days. Not a word on the ride home, not a word for 3 days.
I was at that game. I kept expect the roi boyz to get their stuff together. Never happened. I also saw us loose to Richmond.
Defense. Rebounds.