Coach K

Kansas Basketball.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Coach K

Post by Sparko »

Phog Allen pretty much invented the modern game and NCAA tournament. K was a decent coach who stayed a long time. Recruited well in the modern sense too. Nike.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Glad he is going, leaves more space for us and others to grow. Will be interesting to see if Duke can keep up their status...
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Yeah Fuck him and his Rat face.............he and Nike can jump.............

Really in the beginning good coach and should be respected but there is a time when he went dark and you really really have to blame that on CAL. He decided he wanted the cream of the crop. Cal was getting everyone before K called NIKE and then Cal getting leftovers.

I for one hope NC and Duke fall of a Cliff,
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Can't make this shit up.
Deleted User 880

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:23 am Can't make this shit up.
You know what else we can't make up? The obsession of non-Duke (not just KU) fans bitching about the attention and love he and Duke get from the media and yet here we are on page 6 of a KANSAS message board discussing him.
Often people prefer to bitch and hate than praise and love. I've shamefully been guilty of it.
Don't get me wrong, I feel SOME of the bitching and hating is justified but no doubt the man has made his mark on/in the college basketball world. Perhaps as much if not more than any other college coach - not named Naismith.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MJ23 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:32 am
You know what else we can't make up? The obsession of non-Duke (not just KU) fans bitching about the attention and love he and Duke get from the media and yet here we are on page 6 of a KANSAS message board discussing him.
Often people prefer to bitch and hate than praise and love. I've shamefully been guilty of it.
Don't get me wrong, I feel SOME of the bitching and hating is justified but no doubt the man has made his mark on/in the college basketball world. Perhaps as much if not more than any other college coach - not named Naismith.
guttermeter-69
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I couldn't watch the whole thing. Dood looks like a bad televangelist.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

or Phog Allen

i mean seriously...did he do anything to actually transform the game itself? or did he “just” win a bunch of games?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Allen invented the modern complex game. And the tournament as I said above. It had been a shitstorm of chest passes and underhanded heaves. Ant drill ball.

K simply didn’t throw chairs or strangle athletes. His mentor would have held the record forever without the insanity. I think Roy was a better coach. Self too. So I posted on a KU board.
Deleted User 863

Some of you look ridiculous trying to paint K as some average to above average coach. Or whatever you're trying to achieve.

He's a legend. When people discuss best coaches of all time (regardless of sport) he would be in that convo with a dozen or so other coaches. My guess is nobody outside of some Kansas fan's would have Phog Allen listed with the Coach Ks, the Phil Jacksons, the Vince Lombardis, the Bill Belichiks, the Bear Bryants, etc.
Deleted User 863

You guys can't really think Self has been a better college basketball coach than K...🤣🤣🤣

I love Self. I prefer him over K by a mile. Because of personality. Ks resume blows Self out of the water (at least at this point).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Since the time Self started at Kansas, he has been better than K.

K deserves credit for lasting as long as he did and "adapting" to the shifting NCAAB landscape over several decades.

"Adapting" in quotes because his response to the OAD era was perhaps the shadiest shit any coach has pulled in the last handful of decades. That's not even mentioning the Zion and Bagley stuff, which could absolutely still hit the fan (although, compensating players isn't an issue for me).

And, as has been discussed here, K's resume as of late has been pretty empty. He gets more recruits than anyone and has way underperformed--I posted a few months back the recruiting classes he had with no final fours and like 0-1 regular season acc titles. Roy also had his way with him when he went to the ACC.
Deleted User 863

Since Self has been here he's been better than probably everyone if we are talking winning %. K does have 1 more natty than Self during the KU years.

But resume wise it's really not close.

Self:
729-223 (77%)
1 natty
3 final fours
2x AP COY
1x Naismith COY

K:
1097-302 (78%)
5 nattys
12 final fours
3x Naismith COY

Can't find Self's NCAA tournament only record, but his career tournament record is 49-21 (70%), which i think includes conference tournys.

Ks tournament record is 97-30 (76%) in the NCAA, but 2-2 in the NIT.

Love Self, but his lack of NCAA tournament success when it comes to winning national titles makes it hard for him to get into the convo with guys like K or even Roy imo.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

No one is arguing against the totality, which always has caveats, anyway.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Nobody actually believes this, right?

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status ... 9140118534
Deleted User 880

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:47 am
or Phog Allen

i mean seriously...did he do anything to actually transform the game itself? or did he “just” win a bunch of games?
Bingo! Or Phog Allen. My brain was even phoggier than normal this morning. Too many other things consuming it.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:27 am Some of you look ridiculous trying to paint K as some average to above average coach. Or whatever you're trying to achieve.

He's a legend. When people discuss best coaches of all time (regardless of sport) he would be in that convo with a dozen or so other coaches. My guess is nobody outside of some Kansas fan's would have Phog Allen listed with the Coach Ks, the Phil Jacksons, the Vince Lombardis, the Bill Belichiks, the Bear Bryants, etc.
speaking of trying too hard
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:54 am Nobody actually believes this, right?

Seth Davis does.
Deleted User 880

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:54 am Nobody actually believes this, right?

Not I, but if people chose to be honest I/you/we could probably find out in about 5 minutes.