Professionalism part deux

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Professionalism part deux

Post by ousdahl »

But, joke’s on them, cuz we were also on a zoom call with the new software guys, who said, oh nbd we can just go live today for you guys!

So the owner called back the old company and, in the most professional terms possible, told them to kindly go fuck themselves
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Meet the new guys, same as the old guys.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, it helped that the new guys were on the zoom at the time, and were and are very explicitly trying to position themselves as much more reliable, more communicative, and otherwise more professional than the old guys. Here’s your time to shine.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

seems to me your company dropped the all by not being ready for the mutually agreed upon initial transition date...unless i misread

hope for the best, plan for the worst
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, we’ve been contacting them for weeks about that, and they never got back until today when they finally show, but with an ultimatum.

But ya, this is just one side of the story. Who knows what they’d say about us
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Sorry bout that, the industry has really gone toward flashy UI for demo'ing, while the technical folks spend all their time making it infinitely scalable, and there's a big whole in the middle of those layers for things like, oh, real-world everyday usage. It sucks.

You alluded to this being reporting software?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

Well, it’s property management software. So we can run stuff like arrivals reports, maintenance bills, late checkout fees for when y’all refuse to vacate, stuff like that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whoa, I was expecting them to be delinquent about ending the service too. but sure enough, we all got “an account for your domain is not found” message promptly at 3pm.

Oh so they CAN follow through about shit, but only when they feel like it. How professional!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So how does the “we need to verify your printer model number” scam work?

They call like they’re your IT or printer service company and ask for that to “send more cartridges” or some shit.

Do they just get all the info they can hoping somebody else picks up the next day, thinks it’s legit cuz they know the printer model, and spills more beans?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Here’s a new one:

I just got an out-of-office reply from the owner/president even though he wasn’t addressed on the email.

So pretty sure he (not so) secretly monitors all the internal correspondence?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Company emails/phone calls are not private
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh, I know!

And I realize it’s the owner’s prerogative to do so. I don’t mean to dispute that, and have no reason to be concerned about him snooping through my work emails.

But at the same time, whenever I wonder what a day in the life of the owner is like, now I’ll think of this.

Dude is always posturing about just how incredibly busy he is. and yea, I’m sure that playing Big Brother does keep him busy and must be a difficult role to play, particularly from the golf course.

Now I’m wondering if he has any socks here too…
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:54 am Oh, I know!

And I realize it’s the owner’s prerogative to do so. I don’t mean to dispute that, and have no reason to be concerned about him snooping through my work emails.

But at the same time, whenever I wonder what a day in the life of the owner is like, now I’ll think of this.

Dude is always posturing about just how incredibly busy he is. and yea, I’m sure that playing Big Brother does keep him busy and must be a difficult role to play, particularly from the golf course.

Now I’m wondering if he has any socks here too…
My wife's company records calls, and has functionality to listen in on them in real time, unannounced. THAT, in my view, is a bit much.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, it’s the company’s prerogative, right?

But yeah, considering how intense companies can be about crunching numbers, I can’t help but wonder the cost/benefit of actively listening in on every employee convo.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

isn’t the law different state by state?

conversations, even at work, are private...maybe i’m thinking specifically about recordings of such conversations
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Ous seems to have a misunderstanding of, and a simplified view of what responsibilities and stresses are for an owner of a company. Particularly in this lawsuit happy country. Perhaps someday the shoe will be on the other foot (if he ever decides to start his own company and progress instead of waxing poetic about the awfulness of employment) and he will realize its not all lobster dinners and 18 round meetings.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You sure you aren’t putting words in my mouth again?

And you *suuure* this is the argument you wanna make?

you gonna be the guy who tells a semi-retired capitalist it’s not his prerogative to do damn near whatever he desires?

If he wants to delegate his work to his employees, you gonna tell him he can’t?

If he shows up late or misses a meeting or decides to just go golf all day, are you gonna be the one to fire him?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think owners should go through private emails, no matter if they have the ability.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:26 pm I don't think owners should go through private emails, no matter if they have the ability.
Thank you for contacting Ousdahl Industries. I will be out of the office until Tuesday, July 6, maybe longer if the bears stay out of my cooler. If you would like immediate assistance, please contact one of the subordinate loosers I pay to clean up these sorts of messes for me.

Kind regards!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:26 pm I don't think owners should go through private emails, no matter if they have the ability.
Should they, for, like, voyeuristic reasons? No.