Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 89

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by Deleted User 89 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:12 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 am
hartjack8 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:01 am Texas annually puts nearly 100,000 fans in the seats for home football games, a top 10 program in terms of attendance. Oklahoma is mid-80,000s, a top 15 attendance program. After that, no Big 12 school has averaged 60,000 fans per home game from 2017-19. Iowa State, West Virginia, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State all have been in the mid-to-high 50,000s; Kansas State, Baylor and TCU are the next tier; and Kansas is its own mud flat of apathy.

The only other blueblood revenue program in the conference is Kansas men’s basketball, and that comes with two problems attached: it is a compliance tire fire at the moment, deep into a major NCAA infractions case; as we learned very clearly a decade ago, basketball really doesn’t matter. Football matters, and Kansas is the worst Power 5 football program in the country—and has its own compliance issues.

I would watch ND very closely and hope they do not go to B10

SEC Texas and OU

Big 10 ND and ISU

ACC WVA and UCF

PAC 12 Baylor TCU TTECH and OSU

Mountain West KU KSTATE

Being the worst Power 5 football program can lead to some hard no's
FOH with that. The KC market is a good one. It's a big college sports town as well as a sports town in general. KU is the program in KC.

Get your pessimistic self outta here. It's exciting for KU. Looking at getting to a conference with better footing than the Big 12 in less than a few years.
How big of a role does the KC market really play in something like this? Big 10 already has Chicago and Indy (and others).
but this isn’t happening in a vacuum

it’s not like KU is the only choice...the other conferences are going to be comparing the pros and cons of each potential add. in that scenario, basketball prominence and tv market absolutely matter
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:14 am Are we assuming there are going to be 4 large conferences?
That seems to be the smart thing. And then those 4 break free from NCAA unless the NCAA adapts big time.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:12 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:05 am
hartjack8 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:01 am Texas annually puts nearly 100,000 fans in the seats for home football games, a top 10 program in terms of attendance. Oklahoma is mid-80,000s, a top 15 attendance program. After that, no Big 12 school has averaged 60,000 fans per home game from 2017-19. Iowa State, West Virginia, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State all have been in the mid-to-high 50,000s; Kansas State, Baylor and TCU are the next tier; and Kansas is its own mud flat of apathy.

The only other blueblood revenue program in the conference is Kansas men’s basketball, and that comes with two problems attached: it is a compliance tire fire at the moment, deep into a major NCAA infractions case; as we learned very clearly a decade ago, basketball really doesn’t matter. Football matters, and Kansas is the worst Power 5 football program in the country—and has its own compliance issues.

I would watch ND very closely and hope they do not go to B10

SEC Texas and OU

Big 10 ND and ISU

ACC WVA and UCF

PAC 12 Baylor TCU TTECH and OSU

Mountain West KU KSTATE

Being the worst Power 5 football program can lead to some hard no's
FOH with that. The KC market is a good one. It's a big college sports town as well as a sports town in general. KU is the program in KC.

Get your pessimistic self outta here. It's exciting for KU. Looking at getting to a conference with better footing than the Big 12 in less than a few years.
How big of a role does the KC market really play in something like this? Big 10 already has Chicago and Indy (and others).
Look at the TV ratings of major sporting events. KC is always about top 5. That's important.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

When this all was going down in 2010 the first time, they were stating the end goal was 4 huge conferences. Sounded stupid then, but obviously seems to be the way things are going.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I think KC is around 31 in the media market, probably about the same as Indy, Columbus, but obviously smaller than Chi-town, Detroit, Minny. Bigger than Milwaukee, Des Moines, Omaha, etc...
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

You talking about general media? I’m focusing on sports specific eyes on TVs. In that instance, not many better than KC.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

shindig

Post by shindig »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:38 am Kansas 16th. That's pretty good.

https://www.usdirect.com/resources/most ... s-america/
But only 3 million in the state...
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

In these situations I hope it turns out to be true that our dismal football program is a feature of our attractiveness, not a bug.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:55 am In these situations I hope it turns out to be true that our dismal football program is a feature of our attractiveness, not a bug.
that’s the most glass-half-full thing i’ve seen in days, maybe weeks
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

New market for a conference though. Missouri doesn't attract as much KC as what many think. They do own everything east of there though.

Would BIG want to Iowa State to the mix when Iowa is already there.

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-texas-shou ... 07953.html

I suspect Texas has already considered how demoralizing it would be for their fans, to have to watch them compete with Alabama and LSU every year. This would be the ultimate ego play.

Texas is the husband who has been divorced three times and is telling his new girlfriend, "this time it will be different baby".
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

The Big 12 could survive after OU and Texas. They could pretty easily add BYU, Houston, Memphis, and Cincinnati and even be back at 12. But it wouldn't be the same.

What the Big 12 could not survive is a 3rd team leaving off the back of OU and Texas. That comes down to KU or Oklahoma State. Those are probably the two schools with the ability to light the match and burn the whole thing down.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Good luck, UT. I hope you enjoy becoming the SEC version of Nebraska. They are going to find out real quick what it is like playing an SEC schedule year after year. Just ask 'darling' OU how it is to face the top tier of SEC competition.

They both can count all of their money while their football teams consistently get their asses kicked.

When UT and OU leave if an opportunity for KU opens up for the B10 you take it. IMMEDIATELY.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:30 am Good luck, UT. I hope you enjoy becoming the SEC version of Nebraska. They are going to find out real quick what it is like playing an SEC schedule year after year. Just ask 'darling' OU how it is to face the top tier of SEC competition.

They both can count all of their money while their football teams consistently get their asses kicked.

When UT and OU leave if an opportunity for KU opens up for the B10 you take it. IMMEDIATELY.
At this point I don't think you even wait for UT and OU to leave. Why the fuck would you want to stay in a conference with them? If the Big12 stays in tact, it's cause they caved to OU and UT and that sucks, and if they're leaving, we better act now and get our shit in order.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:33 am
holidaysmore wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:30 am Good luck, UT. I hope you enjoy becoming the SEC version of Nebraska. They are going to find out real quick what it is like playing an SEC schedule year after year. Just ask 'darling' OU how it is to face the top tier of SEC competition.

At this point I don't think you even wait for UT and OU to leave. Why the fuck would you want to stay in a conference with them? If the Big12 stays in tact, it's cause they caved to OU and UT and that sucks, and if they're leaving, we better act now and get our shit in order.
Yeah KU has to be proactive. And a call already being set up is a massive step.

LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

I think the Big 12 probably stays together in some form, but if KU is in it, then KU is stupid. It will become a glorified mid-major.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Without hesitation. Board of Regents won't stop KU either. They will just prefer for KU to take kstate with them, but KU won't because B10 won't take them.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

LVCHawk wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:36 am I think the Big 12 probably stays together in some form, but if KU is in it, then KU is stupid. It will become a glorified mid-major.
100% accurate statement. It will be an AAC on steroids. It'll maintain being the 5th best conference, but they will be lightyears behind the top 4.