Conference Realignment..?

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:05 am
JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:59 am I still can't believe we thought we were good staying at 10 instead of finding at least a couple free agent schools to add to our membership.

Louisville, Cincy, Arkansas..... Anybody.

Why were we the losers waiting for this to happen since the last time it happened? We were already big losers seeing Neb, Colo, Misery and A&M walk out the door for WVU and TCU...
Also, a reminder that the first school to get all butthurt was mizzou, of course, when they flirted with the Big 10 b/c of mean ol' Texas.
And Mizzou comes out of this looking like the smartest kid in school. Does Mizzou get an SEC invite with UT and OU being the first movers? Probably not!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"But of course NIL (or other compensation) was always where things were headed. It was inevitable."

No.
Only in your mind do you think it was inevitable because everything to you has to revolve around more money - and not less.
There were other solutions - but most of these people making the decisions just think like you.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:04 am
JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:59 am I still can't believe we thought we were good staying at 10 instead of finding at least a couple free agent schools to add to our membership.

Louisville, Cincy, Arkansas..... Anybody.

Why were we the losers waiting for this to happen since the last time it happened? We were already big losers seeing Neb, Colo, Misery and A&M walk out the door for WVU and TCU...
Count me in the group that would take a B1G or even Pac 12 invite today. I know this isn't what you were saying (so not directed at you), but the path through here is not to stay in a watered down Big 12. That's just an invitation for this happen again, just potentially with the B1G and/or Pac 12 having picked up alternatives to us.

We are right on the superconference cut line. We might be the power conference cut line. If there's a home for us, we've got to go.
I'm right there with you now with B1G, PAC or ACC although I really don't want the PAC due to late bball tips.

I just don't understand how Bowlsby had nearly a decade to figure out a plan and seemed to be blindsided by this.

I feel like we could've played the sucker-punched card back when it first happened but the conference never stood up and tried to really put itself in a better position to survive. It's way too late now.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 am
With the SEC now having so many powers, no chance they agree to only have 1 of their teams make the playoffs. More likely it'll be 2 or 3 SEC teams and the best 1 or 2 teams from the rest of the conferences in the playoffs if we stay at 4 teams. 8 teams seems harder to pull off because it'll take a long time.
Yeah, this is something that throws a wrench in my idea. My idea was simple without much thought. (maybe I could become the commission of the Big 12). If each conference has 2 divisions you could take the top from each division, then 4 at large teams and that would get you to 12 teams that has been thrown around lately and sounds like people were okay with 12 teams. The highest 4 ranked teams get the first round bye.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:07 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:43 am
TDub wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:35 am

He's not wrong
He is not wrong that NIL happened two weeks ago, and also now realignment is happening again.
Also, I ate a cheeseburger for lunch two weeks ago, and also now realignment is happening again.
In my opinion, this is an ignorant statement - kind of a head in the sand statement.
You have the causation flipped, though. NIL didn't cause this. NIL was caused by the same idiocy that caused this.

I would certainly agree that the Court's ruling sort of kneecapped the NCAA's authority perhaps once and for all. But it was inevitable, and the machinations resulting in this round of realignment were surely spinning for a long time prior to that ruling.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If the ruling had been different, I don't think UT and OU make this announcement at this moment in time.

And once again, I don't think it was inevitable in practice or theory - but it was inevitable the way the NCAA managed it.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:14 am If the ruling had been different, I don't think UT and OU make this announcement at this moment in time.
Any reason why?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 am "But of course NIL (or other compensation) was always where things were headed. It was inevitable."

No.
Only in your mind do you think it was inevitable because everything to you has to revolve around more money - and not less.
There were other solutions - but most of these people making the decisions just think like you.
That's my entire fucking point! Good players getting fairly compensated was inevitable. Whether in college basketball (for example) or elsewhere (the G League, for example).

The NCAA had a chance to shape that, prospectively and proactively. Instead, it let that change happen to them, in exactly as disorganized and chaotic fashion as to be expected when things are simply allowed to happen.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm not defending the NCAA.
They screwed this whole thing up.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:16 am I'm not defending the NCAA.
They screwed this whole thing up.
On this we agree.
JayhawkInIowa726

Post by JayhawkInIowa726 »

nu_bronco wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:12 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:54 am
With the SEC now having so many powers, no chance they agree to only have 1 of their teams make the playoffs. More likely it'll be 2 or 3 SEC teams and the best 1 or 2 teams from the rest of the conferences in the playoffs if we stay at 4 teams. 8 teams seems harder to pull off because it'll take a long time.
Yeah, this is something that throws a wrench in my idea. My idea was simple without much thought. (maybe I could become the commission of the Big 12). If each conference has 2 divisions you could take the top from each division, then 4 at large teams and that would get you to 12 teams that has been thrown around lately and sounds like people were okay with 12 teams. The highest 4 ranked teams get the first round bye.
As conferences get larger, are divisions just the new conferences?

Say the B1G goes to 16 (or more) wouldn't we essentially be in the B1G West w/ Illinois, Iowa, ISU, Nebraska, Minnesota, Northwestern and Purdue or something like that? I mean, we'd hardly get to play Michigan, Ohio State, etc (maybe in basketball but not really in football).

And isn't that what people in B1G already complain about? Some teams having harder schedules etc.?
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:20 am
As conferences get larger, are divisions just the new conferences?

Say the B1G goes to 16 (or more) wouldn't we essentially be in the B1G West w/ Illinois, Iowa, ISU, Nebraska, Minnesota, Northwestern and Purdue or something like that? I mean, we'd hardly get to play Michigan, Ohio State, etc (maybe in basketball but not really in football).

And isn't that what people in B1G already complain about? Some teams having harder schedules etc.?
That is true. I did read somewhere yesterday about using pods instead of divisions. Each conference has 4 pods, you play your pod every year, then there is a rotation of teams you face in the other pods. I think our pod could be your rivals to keep the rivalry games going. While the other pods were to make try and make it where you played everyone in your conference at least every other year. This also would help with having one division strong and one weak.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i have no idea as to the validity, but just read that AAU research dollars dwarf athletic revenue, at least in the B1G

(from blackheartgoldpants.com)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I tend to think that, in terms of the relevance of our selling points, it goes something like this:

1 - KC media market
2 - Potential for (and recent history of) an at-least-representative football program
3 - Basketball

[enormous gap]

4 - Everything else (including AAU)
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

really?

B1G wouldn’t even sniff at KU if it didn’t have AAU status

my order:
1) b-ball
2) AAU
3) KC market
4) football potential
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:36 am I tend to think that, in terms of the relevance of our selling points, it goes something like this:

1 - KC media market
2 - Potential for (and recent history of) an at-least-representative football program
3 - Basketball

[enormous gap]

Probably saying the same thing, but I feel #1 is the KU brand, which kind of encapsulates all of your 1-3.

And then everything else or, put another way, nothing else.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:39 am really?

B1G wouldn’t even sniff at KU if it didn’t have AAU status

my order:
1) b-ball
2) AAU
3) KC market
4) football potential
Yeah, I don't agree with this at all. No way to ever know, but it's just not relevant to this (in my opinion).

That's not to say the press release wouldn't say otherwise. I just think it's window dressing.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:36 am I tend to think that, in terms of the relevance of our selling points, it goes something like this:

1 - KC media market
3 - Basketball

[enormous gap]

Are media markets really a thing anymore. With the streaming capabilities now, don't think households matter as much as they did 10 years ago.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:43 am

1 - KC media market
3 - Basketball

[enormous gap]

Are media markets really a thing anymore. With the streaming capabilities now, don't think households matter as much as they did 10 years ago.
Agreed.

They matter, but not nearly as much.

The thing that matters most is how much revenue a school can generate for the new conference they're trying to get into....that bodes well for us.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:43 am

1 - KC media market
3 - Basketball

[enormous gap]

I don't think you're wrong in concept, but the B1G still adds a ton of new eyeballs/screens by adding what is generally thought of as the KC media market (which, as has been well-noted, punches way above its weight in college sports).