CrimsonNBlue

Re: Conference Realignment..?

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:54 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:49 am In last 10 seasons:

ACC: 5 final fours by 4 different schools

Big 12: 5 final fours by 4 different schools

And KU/Baylor got boned by 2020.
If you just go back 1 year it looks even better for big12.

Since 2000 those numbers above won't even be close. They'll have damn near as many national champs as we do final 4 appearances. Maybe more?
I'm sure the ACC does, but a lot has changed in 20 years. The two leagues in its current form are a lot closer. Maybe even, arguably as trad suggests, pretty damn even. And in the near future the ACC will be without its two best coaches.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:54 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:49 am In last 10 seasons:

ACC: 5 final fours by 4 different schools

Big 12: 5 final fours by 4 different schools

And KU/Baylor got boned by 2020.
If you just go back 1 year it looks even better for big12.

Since 2000 those numbers above won't even be close. They'll have damn near as many national champs as we do final 4 appearances. Maybe more?
who is going back to 2000?

now you’re just being silly...why not go back to 1898?

recency is all that really matters in this argument, imo
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:06 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:45 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:38 am
that’s not at all the case

the argument for best b-ball league is because we’ve top-to-bottom been the best, with most of our teams regularly in the top 25...there are no off-nights in league play
Sounds more like most balanced or most competitive?

KU won the league every year for over a decade. That doesn't help the argument that it's the best basketball conference imo.

I definitely understand the top to bottom argument. And don't discount the no nights off thing....but outside of Kansas for many of those years a lot of those regular season ranked teams ended up fizzling out in the NCAA tournament.

I just can't honestly put big 12 ahead of ACC and keep a straight face. I don't care if TCU is better than Miami. The top of the ACC is filled with teams who have won national titles in the last 20 years. 5 different national championship programs (if i am counting in my head correctly).

Your argument works way better against Big10 because they lack national champions as well.

I would put the old big 12 safely as the 2nd best conference, but behind ACC.

But again, totally subjective at a certain point based on what weight you give the various factors.
it’s not my argument (re-read exactly what i posted)

that has been the argument for why the Big12 might be better...you’ve outlined the argument for why the ACC might be better

i personally think it’s a bit of a wash...each has their strengths and weaknesses
I think the 10 team Big 12 was harder to navigate and win the regular season than the ACC.

I'm not sure that necessarily makes it better or if it even makes its teams better off. How much are we getting by playing every team twice home and away, 2 games a week where you have Weber and Huggins's dipshits hacking the shit out of our more talented players?
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:09 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:45 am
Sounds more like most balanced or most competitive?

KU won the league every year for over a decade. That doesn't help the argument that it's the best basketball conference imo.

I definitely understand the top to bottom argument. And don't discount the no nights off thing....but outside of Kansas for many of those years a lot of those regular season ranked teams ended up fizzling out in the NCAA tournament.

I just can't honestly put big 12 ahead of ACC and keep a straight face. I don't care if TCU is better than Miami. The top of the ACC is filled with teams who have won national titles in the last 20 years. 5 different national championship programs (if i am counting in my head correctly).

Your argument works way better against Big10 because they lack national champions as well.

I would put the old big 12 safely as the 2nd best conference, but behind ACC.

But again, totally subjective at a certain point based on what weight you give the various factors.

that has been the argument for why the Big12 might be better...you’ve outlined the argument for why the ACC might be better

i personally think it’s a bit of a wash...each has their strengths and weaknesses
I think the 10 team Big 12 was harder to navigate and win the regular season than the ACC.

I'm not sure that necessarily makes it better or if it even makes its teams better off. How much are we getting by playing every team twice home and away, 2 games a week where you have Weber and Huggins's dipshits hacking the shit out of our more talented players?
absolutely

and there’s definitely an argument for it hurting Big12 teams because of the constant grind and beating each other up night in, night out
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

BIG 12 basketball has been phucqueing awesome these last 10 years.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:06 am And in the near future the ACC will be without its two best coaches.
Very valid point there. I wonder how Duke does with life after Coach K? Same with UNC.

Once texas and ou officially start in SEC it may end up being the best basketball conference.

Truthfully, I don't care much if our conference is 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th best, as long as Kansas remains a top 4 program nationally then i am good with whatever....without K and Roy i expect us to be the #1 program (which we arguably have been) until Self retires.
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:09 am

absolutely

and there’s definitely an argument for it hurting Big12 teams because of the constant grind and beating each other up night in, night out
No doubt.

But it also keeps a bunch of our teams ranked because they're either winning or losing to ranked teams.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:19 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:06 am And in the near future the ACC will be without its two best coaches.
Very valid point there. I wonder how Duke does with life after Coach K? Same with UNC.

Once texas and ou officially start in SEC it may end up being the best basketball conference.

Truthfully, I don't care much if our conference is 1st 2nd 3rd or 4th best, as long as Kansas remains a top 4 program nationally then i am good with whatever....without K and Roy i expect us to be the #1 program (which we arguably have been) until Self retires.
I think with Beard, Oats, and to an extent, Wade, Cal and UK are going to pass that SEC torch.

I won't predict that Scheyer and Davis will fail, but I stand by that the hires were outrageously shortsighted for those type of programs.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:21 am

I think with Beard, Oats, and to an extent, Wade, Cal and UK are going to pass that SEC torch.

I won't predict that Scheyer and Davis will fail, but I stand by that the hires were outrageously shortsighted for those type of programs.
I have more faith in Davis than Scheyer. No reason in particular. Just a feeling.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:23 am

I have more faith in Davis than Scheyer. No reason in particular. Just a feeling.
Opposite for me. Scheyer's been around ball. You don't often see TV guy ending up being a good coach.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Hubert has been an assistant D-1 coach for longer than Scheyer, but I do tend to agree that I'd bet on Scheyer before Davis. But, who knows.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:24 am

Opposite for me. Scheyer's been around ball. You don't often see TV guy ending up being a good coach.
Hubert played in college and the NBA. He's hardly just a TV guy. He's got just as much experience as Scheyer (actually more). And Scheyer never played a game in the NBA (for whatever little that is worth).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:26 am
Hubert played in college and the NBA. He's hardly just a TV guy. He's got just as much experience as Scheyer (actually more). And Scheyer never played a game in the NBA (for whatever little that is worth).
Just cause you played in college and the pros doesn't mean you can coach. Mangino didn't play football past HS. Self didn't make it after college, neither did Roi, K, Cal and others.

If you can coach, you can coach. No matter your playing experience.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:31 am

Just cause you played in college and the pros doesn't mean you can coach. Mangino didn't play football past HS. Self didn't make it after college, neither did Roi, K, Cal and others.

Scott Drew has done a lot for doofus towel boys.
Deleted User 863

I agree. It's not a requirement of a good coach.

He just said "Scheyer has been around ball", so i wanted to point out Davis has too (more than Scheyer) and also has coaching experience (more than Scheyer).
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:33 am

Scott Drew has done a lot for doofus towel boys.
Him trying to put on his best Calipari impression last night on ESPN during the draft was comical. He was a weird fit up there with Perk and the boys for a bit.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:38 am

He just said "Scheyer has been around ball", so i wanted to point out Davis has too (more than Scheyer) and also has coaching experience (more than Scheyer).
I stand corrected. I still don't think Davis is going to work out.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Duke could have snagged anyone they wanted, and they still went with Scheyer. Spoils system and all, that's something.

I don't think it's true to the same extent with UNC.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:40 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:38 am

I stand corrected. I still don't think Davis is going to work out.
All good.

I really like Davis so i am rooting for him. It's also good to see a POC getting a shot to lead an elite program.

I dislike Duke more and more as the years go by, so part of me is hoping for Scheyer to fail even though i am sure he's a nice guy. The fucking brotherhood makes me nauseous.
Deleted User 89

why are you sure he’s a nice guy?