COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 887

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 887 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:59 am
NotGutterGutter wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:42 am
TraditionKU wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:27 am at least we can count on mich to demonstrate his ignorance on a daily basis
Our government/s and the CDC pretty much demonstrate their ignorance on a daily basis too.
My issue is that there are too many unknowns and too many misleading things being said and done - and not done.
Why is to ok to have Lollapalooza, Garth Brooks, Sturgis, etc., but it's not ok to have events such as an outdoor music fest in SF and Jazz Fest in NO?
No one said it isn't OK to have Jazz Fest in NO. The organizers chose not to hold it due to their own concerns. Events in NO seem to inevitably end with tens of thousands crawling from one indoor bar to another so that may be the difference between that and a concert at an outdoor football stadium. Oh, and the fact that the delta variant is raging through Louisiana right now.
Very good point about "tens of thousands crawling from one indoor bar to another" during Jazz Fest. I don't have as big of a problem with them cancelling it as I do with the inconsistencies of "mega" events being ok some places and and not ok in others - regardless of where the virus is raging.
Sure I feel it was probably dumb to have Lollapalooza and yet - I went. One day.
I took my own precautions and felt relatively safe doing as such. Not too sure I will feel as safe being at Wrigley in mid September with less people - but I have less of an ability to distance myself. That's assuming they still have the shows. My guess is they won't. I hope I'm wrong.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NotGutterGutter wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:31 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:59 am
NotGutterGutter wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:42 am

Our government/s and the CDC pretty much demonstrate their ignorance on a daily basis too.
My issue is that there are too many unknowns and too many misleading things being said and done - and not done.
Why is to ok to have Lollapalooza, Garth Brooks, Sturgis, etc., but it's not ok to have events such as an outdoor music fest in SF and Jazz Fest in NO?
No one said it isn't OK to have Jazz Fest in NO. The organizers chose not to hold it due to their own concerns. Events in NO seem to inevitably end with tens of thousands crawling from one indoor bar to another so that may be the difference between that and a concert at an outdoor football stadium. Oh, and the fact that the delta variant is raging through Louisiana right now.
Very good point about "tens of thousands crawling from one indoor bar to another" during Jazz Fest. I don't have as big of a problem with them cancelling it as I do with the inconsistencies of "mega" events being ok some places and and not ok in others - regardless of where the virus is raging.
Sure I feel it was probably dumb to have Lollapalooza and yet - I went. One day.
I took my own precautions and felt relatively safe doing as such. Not too sure I will feel as safe being at Wrigley in mid September with less people - but I have less of an ability to distance myself. That's assuming they still have the shows. My guess is they won't. I hope I'm wrong.
Such is the nature of allowing state and local communities to determine whether or not to have an event. Having more of a say in what happens in your local community results in the appearance of "inconsistencies". The glory of the US is that if you don't like how your local community handles covid or events, we have the right and the freedom to try to move to a different community that closely represents our opinions and preferences. My covidiot cousin and his wife leaving the "Confederate State of Pennsylvania" to move to Louisiana for instance.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

hahaha...the wife and i have friends that used to live and own a business in savannah, misery

from there they moved to south tejas, then most recently to south carolina

most of their work is actually in north carolina, but they literally said they couldn't deal with all the liberals there, so opted for s. carolina instead
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Dallas ISD is implementing a temporary mask mandate. The rubes are outraged.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

some utahans are questioning the state’s daily death statistics

yup, they literally think the state is making it up
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:28 am some utahans are questioning the state’s daily death statistics

yup, they literally think the state is making it up
I think that's a common theme across the country. People get very worked up about what is counted as a covid death. I am sure there are isolated incidents where something is counted as a covid death that obviously shouldn't (for example dying in a car accident, but also having covid...or already being terminally ill with cancer and dying from that while also being positive for covid), but those are likely rare occurrences.

I have seen some studies trying to breakdown more specifically what the true cause of death was where they show dying of covid w/ pneumonia and various other categories to try to get to a more realistic death rate. It's just an impossible task due to the high number of asymptomatic cases or mild cases that never get tested to count as a positive.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Probably a good time to drop this little nugget from last week regarding the great rural Missouri:

A coroner in Macon County, Missouri, said he has omitted Covid-19 from death certificates — a move that has contributed to a lower number of reported coronavirus fatalities in the small northern region.

The coroner, Brian Hayes, told the Brown Institute in a story reported for the Kansas City Star that he has excluded the virus from some certificates at the request of upset family members. Not being able to see loved ones in their final moments due to restrictions coupled with the reminder of how they died stamped on the death certificate was too much to bear for some people.

“A lot of families were upset," he said. "They didn’t want Covid on the death certificates. I won’t lie for them, it’s gotta be true, but I do what pleases the family.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... h-n1275929
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:38 am Probably a good time to drop this little nugget from last week regarding the great rural Missouri:

A coroner in Macon County, Missouri, said he has omitted Covid-19 from death certificates — a move that has contributed to a lower number of reported coronavirus fatalities in the small northern region.

The coroner, Brian Hayes, told the Brown Institute in a story reported for the Kansas City Star that he has excluded the virus from some certificates at the request of upset family members. Not being able to see loved ones in their final moments due to restrictions coupled with the reminder of how they died stamped on the death certificate was too much to bear for some people.

“A lot of families were upset," he said. "They didn’t want Covid on the death certificates. I won’t lie for them, it’s gotta be true, but I do what pleases the family.”

JFC…

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 863

So he won't lie for them it has to be true? That they didn't die from covid? Just with covid?

I am confused.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It does seem he contradicts himself. I think he is basically saying that he will leave COVID off as a cause or contributing cause if there is something else he can also contribute it to.

I can't imagine that that is the right protocol. But, I will say that I do feel sorry for him. He deals with a lot of nastiness. I think the larger part of the story is the families' behavior.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:11 am It does seem he contradicts himself. I think he is basically saying that he will leave COVID off as a cause or contributing cause if there is something else he can also contribute it to.

I can't imagine that that is the right protocol. But, I will say that I do feel sorry for him. He deals with a lot of nastiness. I think the larger part of the story is the families' behavior.
My best friends dad, sudden anti vaxxer, has covid and is having major issues. Not in ICU yet, but can't be far off. 9 days into sickness and no improvement. Guy takes medicine for everything under the sun, but magically became skeptical of this vaccine (very rich guy, spends half the year in Florida, has been totally warped). May pay for his bad judgment with his life....and what was he worried about? Didn't want his kid telling people he had covid because "people are weird about it". Wonder if he's embarrassed for people to know he didn't get vaccinated?

My buddies aunt called to reassure him everything would be fine because her prayer group has a lot of good people in it surrounding his dad in prayer. She also isn't vaccinated. Dumbasses.

I haven't had anyone close to me die from COVID yet....it appears that is on the brink of changing. He's had all the treatments they can give him it sounds like. The regeneron cocktail, IVs, etc. No admittance into ICU or ventilator but he has to be dangerously close. Scary shit. I wish him the best obviously (mostly for my friend and his siblings). Wish i could say this would change his mind about things but it surely won't. End rant.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:29 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:11 am It does seem he contradicts himself. I think he is basically saying that he will leave COVID off as a cause or contributing cause if there is something else he can also contribute it to.

My best friends dad, sudden anti vaxxer, has covid and is having major issues. Not in ICU yet, but can't be far off. 9 days into sickness and no improvement. Guy takes medicine for everything under the sun, but magically became skeptical of this vaccine (very rich guy, spends half the year in Florida, has been totally warped). May pay for his bad judgment with his life....and what was he worried about? Didn't want his kid telling people he had covid because "people are weird about it". Wonder if he's embarrassed for people to know he didn't get vaccinated?

My buddies aunt called to reassure him everything would be fine because her prayer group has a lot of good people in it surrounding his dad in prayer. She also isn't vaccinated. Dumbasses.

I haven't had anyone close to me die from COVID yet....it appears that is on the brink of changing. He's had all the treatments they can give him it sounds like. The regeneron cocktail, IVs, etc. No admittance into ICU or ventilator but he has to be dangerously close. Scary shit. I wish him the best obviously (mostly for my friend and his siblings). Wish i could say this would change his mind about things but it surely won't. End rant.
Pretty common magic, really.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:31 am

Pretty common magic, really.
Yup. Crazy how dumb some smart people have become in the last 4+ years.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Blows my mind that people won't get a vaccine but then will take these treatments.

It's just such a flawed way of thinking.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:01 am

Blows my mind that people won't get a vaccine but then will take these treatments.

A buddy's dad once told me I was crazy for taking ibuprofen for a hangover headache saying how bad that stuff is for me. Maybe a small decent point, but coming from the guy that has no less than 12 beers and 1.5 packs of cigs per day.
Deleted User 863

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:01 am

My thoughts exactly.

Never questioned what was in those Zpacks he takes multiple times a month when traveling. Or how/where is asthma medicine is produced.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:03 am
A buddy's dad once told me I was crazy for taking ibuprofen for a hangover headache saying how bad that stuff is for me. Maybe a small decent point, but coming from the guy that has no less than 12 beers and 1.5 packs of cigs per day.
You just described bothsiderism in a succinct understandable way
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:38 am Probably a good time to drop this little nugget from last week regarding the great rural Missouri:

Once you get outside of KC the State of MO is a free for all. We seem to be ground zero for people taking cattle deworming meds for covid rather than vaccine. Yes, that is sadly a thing.

A friend of mine in Australia died of a covid induced stroke (blood clots) in June. He was going to come to the US for Solstice but decided it was too risky to travel overseas. He was making plans to come next year and boom, he was gone. My friend in WY just got out of ICU after 3 weeks in a coma on a ventilator. He is being shipped to a nursing home in CO to recover. No clue yet what the prognosis for recovery is. He is in his early 50's and has a wife and two sons.

This thing seems to be a long way from over.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦