21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by ousdahl »

Well, is this season gonna see players and whole teams sitting cuz of covid again?

There will prob inevitably be some breakthroughs

Anyone have Aaron Rogers are their starting point guard?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:26 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:24 pmMeh, that was Baylor’s second game back after like a month long vacation
So, you're saying COVID matters. Agree!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but something I thought during the game and gets overlooked when discussing rotation--it's something that CB has become our best lob passer. Haven't had a good one since Devonte'. I think that matters. I think there were 6 easy points off of lobs. 8 if you count Dajaun's inbounds toss.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yea.

executing a set is among Braun’s strengths.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I just don't see us using a lot of Pettiford or Yesufu in the big, important games. We'll go with the vets.

We're about as deep as we've ever been, but it might be that the only real mystery that remains is how much of Mitch's minutes Clemence can take.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:21 pm I just don't see us using a lot of Pettiford or Yesufu in the big, important games. We'll go with the vets.

We're about as deep as we've ever been, but it might be that the only real mystery that remains is how much of Mitch's minutes Clemence can take.
I just think Braun does too much good stuff to keep him off the floor much in close-and-late. Particularly if you're icing a lead and don't need Wilson's scoring.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hmm.

Just judging by Self’s mad grab for small guards this off-season, I kinda hope one of those guys gets more run. Especially cuz Remy may not be a pure pg, and cuz Dajuan may not be a good enough scorer.

Foul trouble could inevitably factor too, as could matchups.

But yeah, the safe money is on Self playing the vets, even if that means burying the ballhandlers on the bench.

But - that’s the thing! - if the vets look static, like they did sometimes last year, it’s likely we’ll get the spark of more small guards to get things moving.

I still think there’ll be some splashes with the rotation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:29 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:21 pm I just don't see us using a lot of Pettiford or Yesufu in the big, important games. We'll go with the vets.

I just think Braun does too much good stuff to keep him off the floor much in close-and-late. Particularly if you're icing a lead and don't need Wilson's scoring.
I’ve been wondering how much of those minutes may come down to an either/or of Wilson or Braun.

A lot of that depends on whether we’re playing 2 ballhandlers, too.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:31 pm Hmm.

Just judging by Self’s mad grab for small guards this off-season, I kinda hope one of those guys gets more run. Especially cuz Remy may not be a pure pg, and cuz Dajuan may not be a good enough scorer.
Pettiford and Yesufu always looked like "in 2 years" recruits to me.

They were going hard after Marcus Carr and Sahvir Wheeler (in addition to Remy) for this year despite the early Yesufu grab. Not to mention TyTy, et al.

I do think the staff was surprised/pleased with Dajuan this offseason, though.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Maybe.

Cue the “but Joe lit up the tournament team we couldn’t do shit against” talking point.

I could see him carving out a “spark off the bench” niche.

At the very least - and it’s something we say this time every year but hope it actually applies this year - there’s a shorter leash for anyone not producing, cuz we’ve got depth.

And I was hoping Cam would come right in and be rich man’s Mitch, but maybe his shirt is correlated with Zach being further along than expected
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Pettiford looked better than Joe...and better than expected. He's going to be a stud in a couple years. I'm gonna just keep beating that drum
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Joe looked like he did the majority of last season. He needs to get his swagger back.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I wasn’t able to watch last night, but I’m just going to keep assuming that Yesufu will begin to grasp the system and Pettiford will hit the freshman wall. But at what point is that a bad assumption?

First interesting lineup storyline of the season.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

at this point, Pettiford >>>>>> Yesufu
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I remember citing Malik Newman as a reason to pump the brakes on Yesufu coming in and playing a lot right away.

Just need to stay patient on him. But, Pettiford earning these kind of minutes is a pretty big surprise.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Yes, Bobby definitely looks better than Yes so far, but it's early. My worry though is that Yes is the kind of player who needs the ball a good deal to really make an impact.

In hindsight, I'm kicking myself for assuming Lands wouldn't play much. Maybe he won't as much after Jalen comes back? Not sure, but he's really the perfect floor spacer for Dave, Och, and Remy. Also appears to be a much better playmaker than I thought.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

hasbeen wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:08 am Yes, Bobby definitely looks better than Yes so far, but it's early. My worry though is that Yes is the kind of player who needs the ball a good deal to really make an impact.

In hindsight, I'm kicking myself for assuming Lands wouldn't play much. Maybe he won't as much after Jalen comes back? Not sure, but he's really the perfect floor spacer for Dave, Och, and Remy. Also appears to be a much better playmaker than I thought.
Yeah, Yesufu wasn't really good until he was given the keys to run the team last year. Seems that would be a mental thing... Hopefully he can get over that.

Agreed on JCL. Had heard from ISU folks that he doesn't play D. Watching him so far, I'm thinking that might've been more a coaching issue. He looks way quicker than I remember.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:08 am Yes, Bobby definitely looks better than Yes so far, but it's early. My worry though is that Yes is the kind of player who needs the ball a good deal to really make an impact.

He had some good scoring games against us.

Always room for a shooter. I think he's more talented than Isaiah Moss, who I wasn't a huge fan of outside of the shooting.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

Can Pettiford shoot? Haven’t seen him take many shots.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

TraditionKU wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:17 am at this point, Pettiford >>>>>> Yesufu
yeah. this surprised me. pettiford is a lot better right off the bat than I thought he would be. Yesefu is still trying to adapt/adjust to a new system. seems like he is stressing and trying to do a little too much