KU Admission Change

Coffee talk.
NewtonHawk11

KU Admission Change

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kansas-repub ... 49050.html

ACT not required if above a 3.25 in high school. Admitted if ACT is 21 and GPA as low as 2.0.

Just trying to get kids to go to KU is what Girod's main motivation behind it all.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Re: KU Admission Change

Post by Deleted User 89 »

that’s similar in a lot of places

given how poorly those scores indicate “sucesss”, it’s really no surprise

now it just needs to be done with the GRE
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:44 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/kansas-repub ... 49050.html

ACT not required if above a 3.25 in high school. Admitted if ACT is 21 and GPA as low as 2.0.

Just trying to get kids to go to KU is what Girod's main motivation behind it all.
Most of the research indicates that the ACT and SAT do not measure intelligence with any validity nor do they predict college success accurately. They tend to have some systemic biases related to race and social class as well. Ultimately, they end up indicating either how good a test taker you naturally are or how much money your family invested in prep courses that teach you how to take the test. Probably a good thing to do away with.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

JKLivin wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:49 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:44 pm https://www.yahoo.com/news/kansas-repub ... 49050.html

Most of the research indicates that the ACT and SAT do not measure intelligence with any validity nor do they predict college success accurately. They tend to have some systemic biases related to race and social class as well. Ultimately, they end up indicating either how good a test taker you naturally are or how much money your family invested in prep courses that teach you how to take the test. Probably a good thing to do away with.
No shit?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:06 pm
JKLivin wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:49 pm

No shit?
In the sage words of Overlander, you’re trying too hard.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

HUGE difference between getting a 3.25 at a great High School and a 3.25 at a shitty High School.
I did not have a 3.25 at my High School but am confident I would have had one at Sherron Collins' or Cliff Alexander's High Schools.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:16 pm HUGE difference between getting a 3.25 at a great High School and a 3.25 at a shitty High School.
I did not have a 3.25 at my High School but am confident I would have had one at Sherron Collins' or Cliff Alexander's High Schools.
Yup. Absolutely true.

Not sure what the answer is, but somebody could make a killing if they came up with an instrument that predicts college success.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:16 pm HUGE difference between getting a 3.25 at a great High School and a 3.25 at a shitty High School.
Racist Mother Fucker
shindig

Post by shindig »

Ha, first time I took the ACT my Junior year in HS, I just walked in and took it, no prep. It showed...lol. I think I got an 18. I was shocked and embarrassed, so the Summer before my Senior year I actually studied the ACT Prep book my mom had bought and took it again and got a 28. I was happy with that I suppose. I was always an A/B student in HS and pretty much even at KU and even UMKC when I got my MBA. Tough to get a 4.0, unless you're Ousdahl. I studied a lot, but my memory retention wasn't/still great. I swear I could read half a chapter in a txt book and not even remember what I had read, mostly due to day dreaming or whatever.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Overlander wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:33 am
Racist Mother Fucker
I assume you're being sarcastic but with you and your hard on for me I can't be so sure.
If you were being sincere - here is my response.
I'll keep it focused on the subject you called me a "Racist Mother Fucker" about.

Yeah, I'm "racist" because I pointed out (and actually care) that many/most inner city kids don't get the same education as many/most suburban kids - because I hate Black people.

I'm "racist" because I give a fuck and am involved in Chicago Cares and do things such as going in to Chicago Public Schools to paint and help make physical improvements to them - because I hate Black people.

I'm "racist" because I tutor and "mentor" kids from the Cook Elementary School - because I hate Black people.

I'm "racist" because I help coordinate both a "Secret Santa" program for "underprivileged" inner-city kids and am involved in the Salvation Army Toy Drive - because I hate Black people.

I'm "racist" because through work I help inner city kids in many other ways - because I hate Black people.

Now I'll sit back and wait for you to respond with some ignorant comments and tell me about how I need to be "envied".
The hilarious thing to me is how you called me out for that a few days ago when in NO WAY what I posted was meant in a manner for me to want to be "envied". I simply stated I was on the field after a KU win over Oklahoma. Other people told me that they didn't take it that way (that I was looking to be "envied") at all and yet YOU did. That was what crossed your mind when you read it and you felt the need to express it. Gee, I wonder why. That was sarcasm. I don't wonder why at all.

So let's review.....
This past week and at other times in the past you have shown a need to ridicule me and put me in my place. That's on you and your own personal issues. Got it.
Even if I do have a "need to be envied", you allow it to get to a point where you feel the need to become an asshole towards me. Hmmmm. Again, that's on you and your own personal issues. Got it.
In one of your posts you said, In the wild I am "coyote feces". I assume that made you feel better about yourself. If so, FANTASTIC! :roll:
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I was being sarcastic.

Nice to see that your speed typing skills are still polished.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ChalkRocker wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:49 pm.
exactly
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There really isn't an ideal/fair way of finding the best admission process.

I do think standardized tests are an OK barometer as a general bare minimum - ( not great ) - i.e. scoring a perfect on the ACT shouldn't mean much more than scoring an 18 - ( or whatever a mid-low score is ) - but if you can't get a pretty meh score on the ACT/SAT, that doesn't just mean you're a bad test taker, it means you might not be prepared for college.

i.e. teams with loosing records shouldn't be in the playoffs.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

I'm not a sharp guy. Hopefully someone will help me with my 3 questions.
Do most schools get more money from donations or student tuition?
If a school lowers their admission standards, is one to assume they are "hurting" for money?
I happen to know that some (if not many/most) schools want letters of recommendation.
If they simply said, "We need a letter of recommendation" - would a kid who submits many letters of recommendation from multiple teachers and the principal of their High School have a better or worse chance of being admitted than a kid with the same exact test scores and grades who submits a single letter of recommendation from a good family friend who happens to be a large donor to the college/university? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one but of course I'm not the admission officer who ultimately determines if the kid gets in or not.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:32 am
ChalkRocker wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:49 pm.
exactly
You're the only one that gets me, man
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

It’s the quality of the letter that matters rather than then the quantity of letters.
Your other questions are all going to vary by the type of school (eg Big public vs elite private vs top public etc)
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Welcome back.
Defense. Rebounds.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DrPepper wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:10 am It’s the quality of the letter that matters rather than then the quantity of letters.
Your other questions are all going to vary by the type of school (eg Big public vs elite private vs top public etc)
PEPPER! Thanks for the response and I second what 99 said!
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:28 pm I'm not a sharp guy. Hopefully someone will help me with my 3 questions.
Do most schools get more money from donations or student tuition?
If a school lowers their admission standards, is one to assume they are "hurting" for money?
I happen to know that some (if not many/most) schools want letters of recommendation.
If they simply said, "We need a letter of recommendation" - would a kid who submits many letters of recommendation from multiple teachers and the principal of their High School have a better or worse chance of being admitted than a kid with the same exact test scores and grades who submits a single letter of recommendation from a good family friend who happens to be a large donor to the college/university? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one but of course I'm not the admission officer who ultimately determines if the kid gets in or not.
A friend of mine was the associate Dean for the School of Civil Engineering at KU for years. We discussed admissions many times over. I don't know for sure but I think much of the money comes from donations.

With regards to numbers enrolled, no school wants to have their numbers drop. It translates to questions from the Board of regents about whether or not they need to drop programs or staff. The optimal situation is for the program like Arch E where they have 2x-3x as many applicants as they have spots for incoming students. Everyone's job and funding is secure.

A decade ago they didn't spend more than a second looking at high school GPAs in engineering school. Everyone had a 4.0 or even 4.5 on a 4 point scale. They went solely by standard test scores because that leveled the playing field to some extent and took parents out fo the equation. Parents spend a lot of time at high schools trying to influence grades. Now they sort them out by telling the prospective student they should set up and appointment with the associate dean and come talk to them for an hour and meet a professor, watch a class laboratory in session. When my daughter applied several years back we went over to Lawrence and spent the afternoon watching an acoustics class take data readings of sound at Murphy Hall and then talked to the professor for 30 minutes and then went to the dean's office and spent 45 minutes talking to the associate dean. When other peoples kids have expressed an interest in engineering school regardless of the college I have advised them to do the same and help them with the application process. My neighbors son is enrolled at KSU Engineering School now.As the associate dean told me, we pick up the applications and read the names and if we remember that person from a meeting or a conversation it gets them a big step up. They showed initiative in finding out more about the school and we think that translates to them being more successful once they get here. They were serious enough to come talk to us.

I was also on the Alumni Advisory Board for the School of Engineering for years and yeah that helped my daughter get in. The associate dean knew her name by association. My youngest went to the School of Music, no one there has any clue who I am. She went through the same process and as part of her interview she played a saxophone solo in front of the Dean. Her primary instrument was the clarinet. About a week later she and I were at KU watching her older sister play in the orchestra and ran into the dean of the Music School in the lobby of The Lied Center. He stopped us and said, "hey I know you, you were the saxophone player who studied with Bobby Watson!". My daughter got a huge grin on her face, "yeah that was me". She made an impression all on her own. The big thing is get to get some face time and make a positive impression. She got her acceptance letter soon after. Having a parent that the associate dean or dean recognizes is good, but having them recognize the prospective student's name is even better.

If the applicant wants to add a letter of recommendation, the most important letter is to get one from someone who works in the field of the school. If students want to go to KU Eng they can find my resume on our company website, see I am a KU grad, and ask if they can come to our office and get a tour and ask what an engineer does. We will give them a short tour and they can see projects in the works and afterwards if they ask I will write them a letter of recommendation. If you have a child looking to get into college, this gets their application to the front of the line in a competitive admissions process.

40 years ago when I applied I just sent my SAT scores and said, "check it out, pick me bitch!". I got lucky.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.