COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

My firm has sent out 7 Covid notifications since Friday morning. Playing with fire every time I step foot in there…
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

JKLivin wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 4:33 pm
japhy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:50 pm
JKLivin wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:58 pm

I would agree with your professor’s statement that Marxism is a religion. That’s a large part of what makes it dangerous and untenable. Misplaced faith always leads somewhere bad.
I feel we are very close to a real breakthrough here. You and Oussie and DC and Feral should report to the Empire the week before Solstice. Defix and I will meet you at the mud huts. I will bring the psilocybin and Defix and I will be your guides. When dawn breaks we will all be sitting naked around a small greasewood fire holding hands and singing "This Land Is Your Land" together, in a round.

not necessarily stone.....but beautiful.....
Yeah . . . you lost me at "sitting naked".
Of course this is where the homophobe checks out. Worried he’ll get a boner.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

My kids’ school district reversed course and went back to masks…less than a week after lifting the mandate.

And to be clear: this is the adults’ fault. Get the damn shot.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

This is going to piss some of you fringers off…

https://twitter.com/nbcdfw/status/14805 ... 24996?s=21

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

My toddler's daycare is closed today because one of the teachers tested positive. If that's what we're doing, then sayonara daycare for a while.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:20 am My kids’ school district reversed course and went back to masks…less than a week after lifting the mandate.

Masks have been optional in our school district (Plano, TX) most of the school year.

My wife and I decided that after Christmas Break we were going to allow our son to go to school without his mask... He's dealt with this crap long enough. He's vaxed as well. Fingers crossed...

There were something like 15 reported covid cases amongst children/staff over the Christmas Break.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

sdoyel wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:17 pm My firm has sent out 7 Covid notifications since Friday morning. Playing with fire every time I step foot in there…
I play with fire every time I get on an elevator in the building I live in. Of course it goes on and on and on from there once I leave my building.
I have gotten shit on here from people who have a difficult time comprehending my beef with my company and co-workers is that rules/requirements are put in place for ALL of our safety and people blatantly ignore them nor are they "enforced". My attitude is if I choose to be careless and I get Covid, shame on me. If my co-workers are careless and don't give a damn and because of it they spread Covid to me, shame on them.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:10 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:20 am My kids’ school district reversed course and went back to masks…less than a week after lifting the mandate.

Masks have been optional in our school district (Plano, TX) most of the school year.

My wife and I decided that after Christmas Break we were going to allow our son to go to school without his mask... He's dealt with this crap long enough. He's vaxed as well. Fingers crossed...

There were something like 15 reported covid cases amongst children/staff over the Christmas Break.
"He's dealt with this crap long enough".
DING DING DING.
That's the magic statement. Before Covid, if there was a massive flu outbreak in this country people would probably choose to keep their kids at home - believing that the flu outbreak would be short lived and "seasonal".
At what point does one decide they have dealt with Covid "long enough" and it's ok to send their kid/s to school despite there being a decent chance their child contracts Covid?
That's the major debate and dilemma going on with the Chicago Public Schools right now.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:25 am That's the major debate and dilemma going on with the Chicago Public Schools right now.
a villianous teachers union is your major dilemma.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

selfish idiots are everyone’s deliemma
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

mask mandates back in place for salt lake co.

apparently our pub legislature is mulling over fighting it

fucking idiots
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:10 am

Finally not wearing a mask isn't "not having to deal with this any more". All it fixes is having to remember to have a mask with you. N\In my opinion, that's no different than having to remember to have the right book with you or having to remember to do your homework and turn it in on time. I can't believe that mask wearing is something terribly taxing unless his classmates are such a dick to him for wearing a mask that it is stressing him out.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:50 am This is going to piss some of you fringers off…

https://twitter.com/nbcdfw/status/14805 ... 24996?s=21
The studies out of South Africa show that the Pfizer vaccine is only about 33% effective at preventing you from getting Omicron but 70% effective at preventing serious illness/hospitalization. These vaccines were created prior to the Omicron variant's existence so they were not tested against it. If they can spin up a vaccine against it and stamp it down before a new variant develops amongst the unvaccinated then maybe they can get ahead of this but it feels like there are just too many unvaccinated people out there serving as willing hosts to the creation of new variants.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/14/health/o ... index.html
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

exactly why masks and distancing still need to be a thing

vaccines aren’t, and never have been, a magic bullet for covid
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:50 am exactly why masks and distancing still need to be a thing

Yep. I returned from our family vacation last Sunday night with COVID as a souvenir. Showed first symptoms on the day of our return and tested positive the next morning. Quarantined myself to the basement, my home office and the back bathroom and wore an N95 mask whenever I moved through the house around others and none of the other three people in my house contracted COVID. Finally tested negative yesterday.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:56 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:50 am exactly why masks and distancing still need to be a thing

Yep. I returned from our family vacation last Sunday night with COVID as a souvenir. Showed first symptoms on the day of our return and tested positive the next morning. Quarantined myself to the basement, my home office and the back bathroom and wore an N95 mask whenever I moved through the house around others and none of the other three people in my house contracted COVID. Finally tested negative yesterday.
similar story…my niece tested positive Christmas Eve. everyone canceled their plans (my folks and both brothers’ families) and she spent the next 5 days voluntarily locked in her room

christmas celebration could wait
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

But, again, it's not their point to be.

The orders of priority here are:

1 - Reduce severity of cases (hospitalizations and deaths), and then
2 - Reduce transmission.

Obviously if and when a vaccine or other path can promise real progress on 2, we'll pivot.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:24 am

But, again, it's not their point to be.

The orders of priority here are:

1 - Reduce severity of cases (hospitalizations and deaths), and then
2 - Reduce transmission.

Obviously if and when a vaccine or other path can promise real progress on 2, we'll pivot.
by that’s the messaging…that the way out of this is via vaccination

it’s oversimplified and wrong