2022 CBB Season

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 2022 CBB Season

Post by pdub »

"from being considered for a better job in the future".

.560 and sub .500 in the Big 10 should very well be considered if that job is a program like Duke.
If Bill Self was sub .500 in the Big 10 at Illinois, we would not have hired him.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:01 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:58 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:38 am

That's not necessarily true.
Bruce Weber has seemingly gotten worse....but I will admit I didn't check his season records to verify if that's truly the trend.
Amaker would have been in his mid-30s when he got the Michigan job....I think there's a lot more career improvement at that stage than there is at Weber who took the job in his late 50s.
I think maybe Weber was a better coach at SIUC than he was an U of I and KState....but again, so hard to judge. He's just such a weird dude. His personality and style works better at mid major type places imo.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:02 pm "from being considered for a better job in the future".

.560 and sub .500 in the Big 10 should very well be considered if that job is a program like Duke.
If Bill Self was sub .500 in the Big 10 at Illinois, we would not have hired him.
Self had a worse record at Oral Roberts.

I think his tenure at Illinois was much more relevant at the time.

Amaker's been at Harvard for more than a decade. Not saying the Michigan chunk doesn't matter, but you're going back a long way.

And like I admitted...Michigan is the program more similar to duke in terms of athletics...but culturally being at a school like harvard is more relevant in other ways to a place like duke.

And again, Scheyer has none of that experience. You can't criticize his time at another school cause he's never been.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He improved Oral Roberts every season until they went 21-7 and made the NIT.
Then he jumped to Tulsa where he took them to the tournament twice in 3 years, once to the elite 8.
He went .729 in the Big 10 at Illinois.

Amaker improved the team his first 3 years and then went 13-18 and 4-12 in his 4th year.
He had a 14-16 year just 6 years ago at Harvard.
Not sure if you're trying to compare Amaker's success to Self's here.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:55 am My argument is we should be fair in how we evaluate coaches. Not hold canceled seasons against them.
I don't care if he hadn't coached at all the last six years. Unless you've had tremendous success historically (e.g. Brad Stevens, Larry Brown), you can't make the argument that you should be a blue blood hire if you haven't seen a championship tournament in that long.

That goes for Amaker, Scheyer, Wojo and Collins. If any of those guys has any argument it's Wojo.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Proud Boys are really getting after it today!
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:30 am
pdub wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:28 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:26 am if KU hired a basketball coach with the same resume as amaker, you all would be flipping out.
True.
Yes,

I'd be even more pissed if they hired Scheyer.

Claiming otherwise is just arguing for the sake of arguing.
If KU hired either Amakar or Scheyer, I would be like "WTF," but for different reasons. Which one I would be more pissed off about would probably depend on the situation. I.e., if this NCAA thing is going to turn into big sanctions, then I'd rather go with a guy like Amakar that can keep a program above water for a few seasons rather than handing it off to a guy with no HC experience and risking the wheels falling off completely.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

All this said, it's still very ohcomeonfuckoff Coach K, if Duke, as an institution and athletic department, wanted to hire Amaker and Coach K just said, "nope, we've got our guy right here."

I think it's more future control than it is anything.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I also don't think Nike has been mentioned enough. Duke has the #1 recruiting class--there just has to be something else there with that relationship.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:15 pm All this said, it's still very ohcomeonfuckoff Coach K, if Duke, as an institution and athletic department, wanted to hire Amaker and Coach K just said, "nope, we've got our guy right here."

I think it's more future control than it is anything.
Exactly. It's completely consistent with K's arrogance. It's not racism, it's narcissism.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

These are the bullet points from the book I'm more interested in:
An examination of past allegations of NCAA rules infractions and eligibility issues, and a belief among rival schools and coaches that the governing body gives Duke favorable treatment.

A look at how Duke reviews the financial records of top recruits "to ensure that there are no transactions inconsistent with his family's employment status and financial standing." The book cites a source saying that the school reviewed Zion Williamson's family bank records before he enrolled. "We don't have subpoena power," said one school official. "We can't be confident we see everything, but we try." Duke's subsequent investigation into allegations that Williamson and family members had received improper gifts and benefits cleared the player.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:18 pm I also don't think Nike has been mentioned enough. Duke has the #1 recruiting class--there just has to be something else there with that relationship.
Maybe K is worried about all the underbelly of his beast being revealed to Amaker.
Scheyer's no snitch.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

So Krzyzewski wanted Scheyer instead of Amaker so he could continue to control the basketball program after retirement? K is a bigger POS than he's given credit for.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

InfiniteJ wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:42 pm So Krzyzewski wanted Scheyer instead of Amaker so he could continue to control the basketball program after retirement? K is a bigger POS than he's given credit for.
Yes. It is also a mistake to let the corpse rule from the grave like in weird estate/will restrictions. Clean break. Ask other coaches for recommendations like KU did with Dean Smith, but never lock yourself into letting a zombie coach retain some control. It begs the question if there is a house of cards that could fall if someone started poking around. Nice legacy you got there, Paterno.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

What's with this creepy, automated countdown with the shot clock in the OU/UT game?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I'm not saying Ian O'Connor isn't right in regards to what he claims but the guy wrote a book - to sell.
If K demanded Duke hire Scheyer as his replacement and Duke wanted to hire Amakaer - then I find more fault with the brass at Duke than I do with K.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Coach K sick, doesn't coach second half.

Wonder if it has to do with the upcoming best seller.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Kentucky getting smoked tonight.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
thebones

Post by thebones »

sdoyel wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:19 pm Kentucky getting smoked tonight.
If 14 points down is getting "smoked" you need a better superlative
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

thebones wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:24 pm
sdoyel wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:19 pm Kentucky getting smoked tonight.
If 8 points down is getting "smoked" you need a better superlative
Fyp