Och senior year

Kansas Basketball.
Qusdahl

Re: Och senior year

Post by Qusdahl »

Yeah, the biggest Self-era “what if,” no pun intended, is prob if Sherron kept it under 2 bills.
“Qusdahl ISNT wrong.” - PDub 1/28

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

And yeah Julian was a freak.

What if he practiced his jumper and handles as much as he practiced his trick shots and highlight dunks?

“I dont dislike you, even as wildly flailing and uninformed as your theories are” - TDub 2/5
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Julian was the best player on the court in a game that had Al Horford, Joakim Noah, and Corey Brewer in it. I recall after that game he was projected as high as 3rd behind Oden and Durant. I'm sure both he and Sherron would go back and do a few things differently.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:36 pm Julian was the best player on the court in a game that had Al Horford, Joakim Noah, and Corey Brewer in it. I recall after that game he was projected as high as 3rd behind Oden and Durant. I'm sure both he and Sherron would go back and do a few things differently.
Julian was ahead of his time, honestly.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:03 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:36 pm Julian was the best player on the court in a game that had Al Horford, Joakim Noah, and Corey Brewer in it. I recall after that game he was projected as high as 3rd behind Oden and Durant. I'm sure both he and Sherron would go back and do a few things differently.
Inarguably so.

Josh Jackson isn't exactly setting the NBA on fire and had his share of issues, but he could play for a decade plus in this NBA. Julian's ceiling was a bit higher to me.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:11 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:03 pm
Inarguably so.

Josh Jackson isn't exactly setting the NBA on fire and had his share of issues, but he could play for a decade plus in this NBA. Julian's ceiling was a bit higher to me.
Julian with Josh's attitude would have been...a max guy.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Julian was not a very good shooter.
And I know nor is/was Ben Simmons but Ben Simmons is a far better player than Julian.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Durant did an interview a couple years back, during his run with the Warriors, and even admitted Julian Wright was the hardest defender he had to score on.

He was never my favorite player on the KU teams he played on, but its still odd he didn't stick a bit longer in the NBA. So much potential with all the different skills he had, problem was other than athleticism, he never really got above average at any of them.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

He was also a bit of a guy who focused on stuff outside of basketball more than the game.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Julian was also bat shit crazy with religion
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Julian's problem was at the NBA level he wasn't good at anything. he was decent at everything. but he was a forward with guard skills but no jump shot. he played right before small ball took over. he spent too much time bowling and dunking and never really refined the areas of his game to carve out a niche in the nba
Qusdahl

Post by Qusdahl »

He was 6’8” with wingspan and athletic as eff, but also sort of a tweener.

He didn’t have the strength or build to play as a true big, nor did he have the J or handles to be a wing.

And he was naturally talented enough to go lotto as a sophomore, but the NBA requires skills to stick around.

In that book (Beyond the Phog?), Mario talks about how Julian was a gym rat but in all the wrong ways.

He’d train for hours, but instead of training fundamentals, he’d practice trick shots and fancy dunks and just kinda goof around.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Seniors Dok and Vonte most recently come to mind with big away games against the B12 challenger...can Ochai follow suit?
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

Unanimous Big 12 Player of the Year!!!
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sporting News 1st Team AA, one of the 4 for consensus.

Never understood why some thought he won’t end up consensus First Team.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-ba ... 74un7uv03j
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

He's currently 22nd all time in points scored for KU.
120 more points ( reasonable ) would put him 15th all time.
1st team AA, B12POY, 15th all time scorer - well, that kcrim25 might need a revisit.

Sorry Wayne Hightower.
nu_bronco

Post by nu_bronco »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

nu_bronco wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:46 am Och first team all American

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... first-team
Akinjo 3rd team?

Fully acknowledging the color of my glasses, but (per-40s and rates):

Player A

16.4 ppg / 3.4 rpg / 6.9 apg / 2.5 spg+bpg

.389 / .299 / .825

Player B

17.1 / 7.5 / 3.1 / 2.2

.503 / .377 / .748

I suppose this is good news for Player B's trajectory, but man.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sporting News + AP will be good enough to make Och consensus first team.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:59 am Sporting News + AP will be good enough to make Och consensus first team.
aka rafters
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?