Och senior year

Kansas Basketball.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Och senior year

Post by jhawks99 »

We may need to start a second row or build the new Olathe Fieldhouse with a bigger wall.
Last edited by jhawks99 on Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:55 am Its like how we quit hanging individual big 12 title banners, let's quit hanging individual jerseys. Maybe honor them by having a bunch listed on a few banners like what we do with big 12 titles
They combined the conference titles not because they are less important but because they are too numerous. At some point, they will run out of room and create one for each jersey number: a #0 with Robinson and Mason listed under it, a #13 with Wilt and Walt Wesley listed, etc..
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

randylahey wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:58 am Lets save the jersey retirement for the wilt, danny etc types. Guys that truly left a lasting mark on the program, and should be remembered for the decades to come.

Not guys that will be replaced by someone just as good in the next year or 2
this is 100% correct. that last sentence perfectly describes what we have doing these last 20 years.

the athletic department has gotten drunk with retiring jerseys.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:06 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:58 am Lets save the jersey retirement for the wilt, danny etc types. Guys that truly left a lasting mark on the program, and should be remembered for the decades to come.

this is 100% correct. that last sentence perfectly describes what we have doing these last 20 years.

(It is here that we should point out that no jerseys are really retired, and it would be fine with me to actually retire the highest level, perhaps NPOY and/or FF MOP.)
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mich is right, we should get guys that aren't as good.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:11 am Mich is right, we should get guys that aren't as good.
I know I'm tired of 30 win seasons and 1 seeds.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

They are honoring player accomplishments, not retiring jerseys. It has zero effect other than to impress recruits and spur nostalgia from fans. Bitching about it just seems grumpy.

Should it surprise anyone that the era of the most consistent high-level of success in ncaa history is churning out a consistent list of guys who have earned the right to be honored?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:18 am

They are honoring player accomplishments, not retiring jerseys. It has zero effect other than to impress recruits and spur nostalgia from fans. Bitching about it just seems grumpy.

Should it surprise anyone that the era of the most consistent high-level of success in ncaa history is churning out a consistent list of guys who have earned the right to be honored?
The folks don't like it.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:24 am

The folks don't like it.
Some folks just don't like things to be different than "back when they were young". I mean, if we really want to roll back to the 1961-1983 era when KU missed the tourney 16 times, sure. At least there wouldn't be so darn many players getting their jerseys honored...
Last edited by twocoach on Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Realistically, we all know that we're on borrowed time here. Replacing Roy and getting better is fucking absurd.

I don't think we'll bottom out like Indiana or UCLA did, but I think it's overwhelmingly likely that we will have some meaningful step back, at least in terms of being consistently very-good-to-great. Our FLOOR under Bill has been a 4-seed. That won't hold.

I, for one, look forward to one day explaining to my kids and grandkids why there are, like, 30 banners for the period from 1988-2030, and then a huge dropoff.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:27 am

Realistically, we all know that we're on borrowed time here. Replacing Roy and getting better is fucking absurd.

I don't think we'll bottom out like Indiana or UCLA did, but I think it's overwhelmingly likely that we will have some meaningful step back, at least in terms of being consistently very-good-to-great. Our FLOOR under Bill has been a 4-seed. That won't hold.

I, for one, look forward to one day explaining to my kids and grandkids why there are, like, 30 banners for the period from 1988-2030, and then a huge dropoff.
Agreed. My daughter is 18 and KU has NEVER been seeded below a 4 seed in the tourney in her entire lifetime. It is unprecedented in modern ncaa history. Of course that means that we have more players who are achieving at a high level.

This was not the argument I thought we'd be having today. Weird day.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

No one has ever filled out an online ncaa bracket that didn't have Kansas on it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:09 pm No one has ever filled out an online ncaa bracket that didn't have Kansas on it.
now that’s just nuts
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:09 pm No one has ever filled out an online ncaa bracket that didn't have Kansas on it.
This is great.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

This thread is supposed to be about Ochai Agbaji's senior season.

Ridiculous.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

I assume that has to be true.

I think someone else may have posted this but if not.....

Bill Self is coaching his 21st straight NCAA Tournament as a No. 4 seed or better.

My guess is no one else will ever claim that.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Missouri basketball fan tradition for 30+ years: picking KU to lose in the first round every single year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:13 pm
Missouri basketball fan tradition for 30+ years: picking KU to lose in the first round every single year.
Lol.
The Mizzou guy at a place I freelance for has us loosing to San Diego St.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Since the missed game due to Covid Och is shooting 30% from 3. Not horrible, not great. But that’s NOT a small sample size.

CB is like 1/2% behind Och in 3pt %. CB needs to be shooting it more…
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:10 pm
I assume that has to be true.

I think someone else may have posted this but if not.....

Bill Self is coaching his 21st straight NCAA Tournament as a No. 4 seed or better.

My guess is no one else will ever claim that.
Very few coaches will ever have 21 straight ncaa tournament appearances, let alone Top 4 seeds. Coach K's longest streak of Top 4 seeds was 12. Roy Williams' was 5. Dean Smith's was 11. Tom Izzo's was 4.