THE Golf Thread

Other Sports.
Deleted User 863

Re: THE Golf Thread

Post by Deleted User 863 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:15 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:10 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:05 am

I am not a good golfer. I’m very happy that this was a good shot. I didn’t have to shank it off a tree, for example.
I have 4 hole in ones. 2 were what i would consider not great strikes of the ball....but no pictures on the scorecard.
I teed the ball up on the next hole, driver out. Meaning it’s iffy at best to find it.

I’m glad I gathered myself and realized I should take that particular ball off the tee and save it.
Haha!!!

Had a buddy play half the next hole with one of his (tee shot with OB and water...2nd shot with woods)...he realized after the 2 dangerous shots on the hole before he swapped it out.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I was informed that the gear companies will send you things. Just off the phone with Callaway and Titleist and, yep.
Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

US couldn't have asked for much better in the first session of the Ryder Cup. US up 3-1.

Spieth was on it. JT struggled. Rahm was on fire.

DJ and Morikawa just dominated from the 7th hole on. Casey and Hovland weren't bad.

Brooks and Berger, teammated and friends from Florida State days went up early, then lost the lead and then pulled through.

Cantlay and Xander took Rory and Poulter and made them their bitch immediately.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:39 am US couldn't have asked for much better in the first session of the Ryder Cup. US up 3-1.

Spieth was on it. JT struggled. Rahm was on fire.

DJ and Morikawa just dominated from the 7th hole on. Casey and Hovland weren't bad.

Brooks and Berger, teammated and friends from Florida State days went up early, then lost the lead and then pulled through.

Cantlay and Xander took Rory and Poulter and made them their bitch immediately.
Really strange they rested Speith and Morikawa this afternoon.

Good morning session.

Rory and Poulter couldn't ever get going. Rahm and Sergio were so solid. Brooks and Berger got a good win against what i thought was a weak Euro pairing. DJ and Morikawa played well together.

I was a bit surprised by who played and didn't play in this afternoon session, for both sides.
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Have three guys staying with me for a short weekend mini-tournament. Two courses. Pretty wide-ranging skill levels.

I was thinking of essentially the foursome playing four nines, each containing a nine-hole singles match. First three nines are a round robin, fourth "championship" nine being first place and third place matches.

Due to earliness in season and varying skill levels, all match play and all lift-clean-place in fairway.

Wide open to other thoughts. Single set of tees is fine for this group.
Deleted User 863

I like your idea of match play if large differences in skill level or you're expecting a lot of "X"s on the scorecard for high numbers.

An idea not match play format:

We call it the $22 game.

Everyone throws in $22 each 18 (so $88 total in pot for each round).

For each 18:
$10 of each entry goes to skins ($40 total in pot)...then $4 of each entry goes to low front 9, low back 9, low overall ($48 total w/ each winner getting $16).

That game works better when everyone is similar skill level or everyone has handicaps though.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Good thing for me and my buddies, we're all within a few strokes of each other when we do our annual golf outing in the spring. We have a group of about 8-10 of us so it's tough to play some common games.

6-6-6 is a really fun game that I've played often.

Partner 1 matched with Partner 2 against Partner 3 and Partner 4 for first 6 holes.
Partner 1 matched with Partner 3 against Partner 2 and Partner 4 for the next 6 holes.
Partner 1 matched with Partner 4 against Partner 2 and Partner 3 for the last 6 holes.

Goal is to just not get last place and go 0-3. Have played as a Shamble, Scramble, and a best ball format.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 863

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:06 pm Good thing for me and my buddies, we're all within a few strokes of each other when we do our annual golf outing in the spring. We have a group of about 8-10 of us so it's tough to play some common games.

6-6-6 is a really fun game that I've played often.

Partner 1 matched with Partner 2 against Partner 3 and Partner 4 for first 6 holes.
Partner 1 matched with Partner 3 against Partner 2 and Partner 4 for the next 6 holes.
Partner 1 matched with Partner 4 against Partner 2 and Partner 3 for the last 6 holes.

Goal is to just not get last place and go 0-3. Have played as a Shamble, Scramble, and a best ball format.
We call that Drivers Others Carts...1st 6 whoever the 2 drivers are on the carts are partners. Middle 6 are the "others" (whoever the other person is in the opposite cart). Last 6 is cart vs cart.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Woodland! Eagle for the lead in the Arnie Palmer.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Jinxed him. Big choke.
Deleted User 863

Watched the Eagle. Ran to the garage for about 10min to work on building my kids basketball hoop. Walk back in and he's given 2 shots back already.

Regardless, I know most aren't close golf followers here, it's great to see Gary back in contention on sunday. Hell, it's good to see him on the weekend. He's had a rough few years after winning a major and becoming a top 50 golfer in the world. Hopefully he's working his way back into form.
Deleted User 863

Masters 2022 thoughts:

Wide open field. Nobody stands out as an obvious favorite this year.

Rory: Will he ever win a green jacket? Hopefully. But doubt it'll be this year.

Rahm: He's been quiet lately. I still think he's the best player in the world. But hasn't looked great the last month or so.

Scottie Scheffler: New world #1. He's hot lately. If he plays well he will be tough to beat.

JT: He will win a green jacket sooner or later. Can he avoid a big mistake and can he get the putter hot? Those 2 questions will likely determine if he's in contention late Sunday afternoon.

Brooks: It's a major so odds are that he will be a factor.

Morikawa: ball striking is incredible. If the putter gets hot he is always tough to beat.

DJ: hasn't played a lot and hasn't played that well....but his game is suited for Augusta and he knows how to win.

Bryson: His strategy last year didn't work. If he doesn't adjust this year he won't be a factor.

Xander: Love him, but he always seems to find a way to get 2nd instead of 1st in big events. Misses a few too many short putts for me to feel great about him on these greens.

Patrick Cantlay: hasn't played great so far this season, but he is a dude who can flip a switch. Game should set up well. He really doesn't have many weaknesses. But he only has 1 top 10 at Augusta in 5 starts with 2 missed cuts.

Cam Smith: He might be my pick. Unreal putter. Not scared of the moment.

Speith: He's a different guy at Augusta, but he looks so lost. Had a good year last season, tweaked his swing over the offseason, added 10yds off the tee, but is playing "golf swing" instead of playing "golf". Also not putting as well as he needs to.

Hideki: Had a recent WD due to a back issue I believe. Dude is a top 20 machine at Augusta and his stats are better this year than last.

TIGER: I think he is going to play. Don't think winning is realistic, even for Tiger...but I doubt he'd play if he wasn't damn sure he was capable of making the cut.

I will add some others that I forgot to mention as the week goes on.

Who I "want" to win: Lee Westwood (or Tiger obviously).

Who I "think" will win: Morikawa or Cam Smith.
Deleted User 863

Deleted User 863

Tiger is going to play. Should be an exciting week.

Lots of wind in the forecast, which always gets tricky winding through that backside.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Tiger playing about as well as could reasonably be expected. Unsurprisingly, he looks like someone who's had a lot of time to work on short- and mid-irons.
Deleted User 863

jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:57 am Tiger playing about as well as could reasonably be expected. Unsurprisingly, he looks like someone who's had a lot of time to work on short- and mid-irons.
He was noticeably wincing early in his driving range session, but seems to have loosened up. Playing great so far.

I have read the reduced mobility has actually helped him become straighter off the tee. His arms and chest are jacked. He clearly has been working out the upper body while the leg healed.

Obviously, i want him to win. But most of all I am just glad he is playing again. It'll probably just be this and St Andrews for 2022 if I had to guess. No need to even attempt US Open. Length of course, and length of rough would be too much to overcome to win. But he can win at Augusta and he can win The Open Championship venues.

Dude has made 2 of the greatest comebacks in sports history. Truly an inspiration. Definition of toughness and perseverance.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:03 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:57 am Tiger playing about as well as could reasonably be expected. Unsurprisingly, he looks like someone who's had a lot of time to work on short- and mid-irons.
He was noticeably wincing early in his driving range session, but seems to have loosened up. Playing great so far.

I have read the reduced mobility has actually helped him become straighter off the tee. His arms and chest are jacked. He clearly has been working out the upper body while the leg healed.

Obviously, i want him to win. But most of all I am just glad he is playing again. It'll probably just be this and St Andrews for 2022 if I had to guess. No need to even attempt US Open. Length of course, and length of rough would be too much to overcome to win. But he can win at Augusta and he can win The Open Championship venues.

Dude has made 2 of the greatest comebacks in sports history. Truly an inspiration. Definition of toughness and perseverance.
I have a hard time lionizing him. I do enjoy watching golf more when he's around the top of the board, though, so I'm rooting for him.