Official Big 12 Game Thread #5 - KU vs. Texas

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: Official Big 12 Game Thread #5 - KU vs. Texas

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:38 pm Shaka with an interesting use for the white board.

No wonder he's struggling in the big leagues. There's more to it than just getting people to try hard once you're playing good teams every night.
When you start resorting to Bruce Weber style Try Hard charts, you know you're digging into the bottom of a very limited tool box.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

similar to last years game at afh where liberace had a shot at tying/winning the game.
that's the play you run?
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:38 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:38 pm Shaka with an interesting use for the white board.

No wonder he's struggling in the big leagues. There's more to it than just getting people to try hard once you're playing good teams every night.
When you start resorting to Bruce Weber style Try Hard charts, you know you're digging into the bottom of a very limited tool box.
Maybe he should have used it to draw up a play for their last shot....I mean, they still got a decent look to win the game, but all you need to see is the players reaction to each other as time expired. Looking at each other, throwing hands up and shrugging shoulders. Clearly confused with no communication about what was actually supposed to happen.

All that mental war fare type coaching stuff works when you're a mid major coach and you need your guys to believe they can beat a top seed....but that shit doesn't work long term coaching in a power conference.

That last play was as bad as just about any Bruce weber non-play call I can remember. Texas should feel pretty stupid they ran Rick Barnes out of town for a guy like Shaka.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It was in the right guys hands ( Febres was on fire ), he just didn't have anything to work with.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

He also went with the messagebord coaching advice.

“Garrett was shooting 18% or so coming in. We decided not to guard him so we could give Lawson some extra attention.”

I mean, you recruited and scouted the kid for years. Maybe your State POY should be guarded a little some?
I am, I said.
Deleted User 75

I'm fine with the strategy to let him shoot 3s....but you've got to at least prevent him from also getting layups.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 am similar to last years game at afh where liberace had a shot at tying/winning the game.
that's the play you run?
maybe our defense was so good it disrupted them.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:05 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 am similar to last years game at afh where liberace had a shot at tying/winning the game.
that's the play you run?
Maybe.

But there was a split second where someone was wide open at the top of the 3pt line and I thought he was going to jack it up....thankfully he passed to a more guarded guy who missed the shot.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:18 am Thoughts:
- Game turned around when McCormack gave us some hustle in the second half. I'd like to see him get all of Lightfoot's minutes.
- Dotson finally had a bad game. CnB mentioned earlier in the week he's supposed to be the safety. He didn't do his job and gave up probably a dozen points in transition.
- Cool night for Garrett. Not sure it means much going forward, but maybe it'll give him some confidence and help his shot.
- Hey Vick haters - how you like dem apples?
- Good bigs can absolutely own Dedric (and obviously Mitch) inside. McCormack's development is really, really important. We'll need him to make a run in the tourney.
- Not sure if KJ's first DNP CD is noteworthy.
Shaka was setting up secondary break stuff even on made baskets. I think he knew he wasn't going to win this game in the 70's and tried to get as many possessions as possible. That said, yes, whole team did a terrible job of getting back on defense. Dotson is obviously a huge part of that. I'm not sure why we struggled with that so much, as we haven't been that bad all season and did great against Michigan State who are very good in transition offense.

Vick seems to me to play better in a complementary role--like 3rd or 4th option.

Dedric was a non-factor for the start, but down the stretch, he's our go-to dude. Staying out of foul trouble is a must for him.

De Sousa is the answer to any interior defense questions, and I already think our interior D isn't awful.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's funny that Weber is being brought up because I was reminded so much of Weber last night.

Obviously, the whiteboard boxing scorecard was maybe the highlight of the game outside of the win. I mean, you look at UT's recruiting classes and resources and wonder why they aren't winning then they show that gem of a huddle to the whole world. I was dying.

UT had an alley oop to Jaxon Hayed with 4:20 left in the game that cut it to 3 points. Shaka only has 2 TO's left and he calls one right after the momentum play. WTF? That is so Weber. A TO gives you nothing there; takes away momentum; uses one of your last two TO's when a media TO is coming up; and Bill Self is the best coach in the world after timeouts.

The last play that Shaka drew up was absolutely atrocious. That was vintage Weber.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Dedric is just do slight of build...he got pushed around early, but the alpha came out in the second and he kept with it

(still wish he’d just dunk it sometimes)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:05 am
that's the play you run?
maybe credit Self for betting Shaka would have all his guys looking to jack from deep, and being ready by crowding the perimeter?

(or credit Self for betting Shaka would have no fucking play at all, and all his players would be standing around panicking from 25 feet away)
Deleted User 89

i think shaka (not sure the best decision, or “play”) was going for the win

tough to tempt fate at Allen, but ut was playing well. i go for two and OT in that scenario
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I understand going for the win, but you have to draw something up that also gives Coleman the option to take a defender that's pushing him out to the paint. Or just draw a play that actually gives you a realistic look at a perimeter shot.

Overall, though, I thought UT played really well (for them) last night.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:21 am I understand going for the win, but you have to draw something up that also gives Coleman the option to take a defender that's pushing him out to the paint. Or just draw a play that actually gives you a realistic look at a perimeter shot.

they did play well. was shocked there were so few turnovers, on both sides
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:21 am I understand going for the win, but you have to draw something up that also gives Coleman the option to take a defender that's pushing him out to the paint. Or just draw a play that actually gives you a realistic look at a perimeter shot.

they did play well. was shocked there were so few turnovers, on both sides
Both sides don't do it?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:15 am

It's funny that Weber is being brought up because I was reminded so much of Weber last night.

Obviously, the whiteboard boxing scorecard was maybe the highlight of the game outside of the win. I mean, you look at UT's recruiting classes and resources and wonder why they aren't winning then they show that gem of a huddle to the whole world. I was dying.

UT had an alley oop to Jaxon Hayed with 4:20 left in the game that cut it to 3 points. Shaka only has 2 TO's left and he calls one right after the momentum play. WTF? That is so Weber. A TO gives you nothing there; takes away momentum; uses one of your last two TO's when a media TO is coming up; and Bill Self is the best coach in the world after timeouts.

The last play that Shaka drew up was absolutely atrocious. That was vintage Weber.
Exactly. It reminded me of what I saw down the stretch of the KSU win at Iowa State. KSU won despite Weber not drawing up a single play in the last 4 minutes or so to get his team a bucket. Everything they got was off ISOs and scrambles or blown decensive assignments by ISU.

In my opinion, coaches show what their made off down the stretch in tight games. Self consistently is one of the best in the business out of timeouts and in close games. We are truly fortunate to have Self. Anyone who thinks he just rolls it out there and his elite recruits win them for him is a fool.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 am i think shaka (not sure the best decision, or “play”) was going for the win

tough to tempt fate at Allen, but ut was playing well. i go for two and OT in that scenario
This is assuming that the play as it played out was the play he called for. It looked like he drew up a play and when our defense prevented it, Texas did not have a clear idea of Plan B, C etc... that's where the limitations of a poor play caller/coach affect results. Self's teams almost always have an understanding of what to do if Plan A isnt there.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:18 am i think shaka (not sure the best decision, or “play”) was going for the win

This is assuming that the play as it played out was the play he called for. It looked like he drew up a play and when our defense prevented it, Texas did not have a clear idea of Plan B, C etc... that's where the limitations of a poor play caller/coach affect results. Self's teams almost always have an understanding of what to do if Plan A isnt there.
According to Shaka’s post game they did not run the play he drew up to end the game. Didn’t get it to the guy they wanted to from the start.
Deleted User 75

columbusdjkc wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:03 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:01 am

According to Shaka’s post game they did not run the play he drew up to end the game. Didn’t get it to the guy they wanted to from the start.
That is seemingly supported by 2 or 3 guys throwing their hands up and looking around like "wtf you doing" to each other.

Too bad. So sad.