Jay Wright Stepping Down

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Jay Wright Stepping Down

Post by pdub »

Again, it’s how you read the sentence.
If he means that coaches will make more money earlier in their career to give them the option of retiring earlier than coaches previous, he is right.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

a larger number of great college basketball coaches are probably going to spend the coming years and decades making enough money in their 40s and 50s so that they can leave it all behind at an earlier age

this language absolutely insinuates that something has changed, imo

otherwise there’s no reason to even say it
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Well, it has changed.
punkrockhawk

Post by punkrockhawk »

I am very shocked by this announcement from Jay Wright. He will be missed. A class-act of a coach, for sure. I always felt that if Bill left for some reason, we should go after Jay because he was a great coach and seems like a great person as well.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Top notch coach.
Not good for CBB with his leaving.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The timing and logic of Parrish’s theory is just ridiculous. And I’ll preface to say again that I absolutely do think there are coaches out there that don’t like the recent rule changes. Coaches have also long been resistant to any change. Especially when they get used to the sandbox.

But, While no reason to think this is true, it’s certainly quite possible that Wright is having health/exhaustion issues and makes this whole talking point look ridiculous. Parrish touts how much better the NBA jobs are, but Wright could have an NBA job by the end of the week and he doesn’t want it. Woj said last night that Wright has had several NBA opportunities in the past and was not even remotely interested.

Mark Turgeon was cited, that guy was dead meat.

And so was Chris Mack. He didn’t just walk away, his program was under a dark cloud of investigation, his program was slipping (got fucked in Covid year, though), and he had one of the ugliest divorces with different coaching staff in recent memory to the point they were secretly recording each other.

Roy/K were ancient.

Just stick to tweets for the throwaway hot takes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Triggered.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

how very illy of you
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

punkrockhawk wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:32 am I am very shocked by this announcement from Jay Wright. He will be missed. A class-act of a coach, for sure. I always felt that if Bill left for some reason, we should go after Jay because he was a great coach and seems like a great person as well.
The age and east coast thing made Wright unrealistic probably 5ish years ago.

But I did think he turned himself into the 2nd best in-game coach to Bill. That was after being a guy that also had to get the tournament monkey off his back.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:40 am how very illy of you
That’s selling illy too low.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

I always liked Jay. Before he turned Nova into a borderline blue blood, I had hopes that he'd be the next KU coach if Bill ever left for the NBA.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Wright was a really great dude it seemed that ran a model program, so it seems time to bring up the Chalmers story.

We laughed about that but I did always think that was a bullshit move by Chalmers, particularly telling Wright to sit his ass down. That’s mizzou-level trash from a player that could act immature. No one on our 22 team would do that, including CB whose profanities are mild in comparison.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:58 am Wright was a really great dude it seemed that ran a model program, so it seems time to bring up the Chalmers story.

We laughed about that but I did always think that was a bullshit move by Chalmers, particularly telling Wright to sit his ass down. That’s mizzou-level trash from a player that could act immature. No one on our 22 team would do that, including CB whose profanities are mild in comparison.
How have I never heard this story? Also, leave that Roy boy shit back in '96 where it belongs.

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Was in Jason King’s book. And this is some years after the fact, which makes Rio sound even worse at the interview.

That game was personal, because Jay Wright – the Villanova coach – had also been the head coach of the USA Basketball team that represented the country in the Pan Am games the previous summer. Jay Wright cut both Sherron and me from that team and kept his own player from Villanova, Scottie Reynolds, who had clearly been the worst player at the entire camp. He led the whole camp in turnovers. Sherron didn’t play all that well, either, because his knee hadn’t recovered from the previous season. But for me, I felt like I did everything right. I led them in steals, I had a lot of assists and I barely had any turnovers. But I wasn’t shooting the ball very much. They used one of those international balls, so they were different. I didn’t like the ball. I shot maybe six times.

When they cut me, they told me it was because I didn’t score and that they wanted a scoring point guard. I was like, “Why do y’all need all these scorers? What do you need a scoring point guard for when you’ve got all these other scorers?” They had Alonzo Gee from Alabama and guys that could already score. I was just trying to get other players involved. When they cut me, I was hurt. I was like, “Oh, you wanted me to score and you didn’t tell me that?” They had told Coach Self they just wanted a guy to distribute the ball, but Jay Wright cut me and kept his own player.

So when it came to the Villanova game, Coach Self called Sherron and me into his office and said, “How do you feel about this Villanova game?” I said, “Coach, this is personal to me. I don’t like Jay Wright.” He was like, “I understand that, but keep it out of the media.” So when the media asked if it was a personal game, we’d say, “No, it’s not personal. It’s just another game.” But during the game we were talking all kinds of s--t to Jay Wright. We’d run by him and tell him, “Sit your **** down! We got this!” Another time we said to him, “This is what you get for cutting us. We’re about to dog you!” Anytime we were throwing the ball in from the sideline, when he was standing up trying to call a play, we’d tell him to shut his mouth and sit down. There was one play where I threw a lob to Shady on an inbounds pass and he dunked over Scottie Reynolds. Right before I threw it I looked at Jay Wright and said, “Watch this!” That game was definitely personal for Sherron and me.

https://www.vuhoops.com/platform/amp/20 ... d-the-phog
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

I absolutely love it. The very best thing about that team was its edge.

- lobser
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:23 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:21 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:18 am Parrish is a garbage writer, lol. Just an i.e.

“But the truth is that a larger number of great college basketball coaches are probably going to spend the coming years and decades making enough money in their 40s and 50s so that they can leave it all behind at an earlier age than the previously expected-retirement-age for great college basketball coaches.”

That’s a “truth?” He’d fit in pretty well around here. Should maybe check with his anonymous sources again.
does ANYONE get into coaching for the money?
A fool’s errand if so.

But when did wild ass predictions become truth? It’s pretty clear that Parrish’s profession has changed much more than coaching college sports.
Welcome to the internet; you must be new here.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:17 am I absolutely love it. The very best thing about that team was its edge.
Right, cockiness is part of what made Rio Rio. That cockiness would lead him to the conclusion that Wright cut him for non-basketball reasons. I can understand from his perspective why he'd act that way toward Wright.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I get it. And I’ll take the result.

It does help that he wasn’t trying to be anyone else but himself.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:25 am Again, it’s how you read the sentence.
If he means that coaches will make more money earlier in their career to give them the option of retiring earlier than coaches previous, he is right.
Eh. It’s absolutely true that coaches make more now than ever. But they’ve also been making no shit money for 20 years. Any high major coach who wanted to be able to comfortably retire at 60 (or probably earlier!) has been able to plan for that, for a long time.

I am hoping there is no underlying health or personal issue here, and that the simplest explanation is the right one: he has all the money he wants, has had all the experiences he wanted, and wants to step away while he has decades of active, healthy life left.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He’s still going to be very involved with Nova basketball, particularly fundraising, so it’s possible that NIL takes up a big part of his next job.