2022-23 CBB Season

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: 2022-23 CBB Season

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:49 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:44 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:43 pm

I think it's way more likely that McCullar rides the bench than it is that neither of Yes or Bobby play. But only time will tell.
That's weird. McCullar is going to play a ton.
Depends on what qualifies as a ton. I do think he will play, especially early if Rice/Dick aren't ready, but I think Yes and/or Bobby will play a lot too. Especially whichever 1 establishes themselves higher on the depth chart.

This time last season we said Yes and JCL would play a "ton" too. McCullar is battling 2 McDonalds AA for minutes more than he is battling Yes/Bobby imo.
I think McCullar will play more minutes than Pettiford and Yesefu combined.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, I see McCullar as the Braun (and maybe Wilson) too replacement - versatile wing who can help with ball duties.

I kind of wonder what Self thinks now regarding whether he’d rather have one true small guard dominate the ballhandling, or whether he can get away with more of a scoring small guy as long as he’s got others on the court who can bring the ball up.

Related: do we see more of Dajuan and Yes on the floor at the same time, or more of one as the spell for the other?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Will depend on Zach/Udeh progress, but we have the making of a Top 5 KenPom defense. Dick is also a competitor on that side of the ball.

Scoring could be an issue. Seems like a Sweet 16 team. We may need Mosley or Courtney Ramey.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:50 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:43 pm

I think it's way more likely that McCullar rides the bench than it is that neither of Yes or Bobby play. But only time will tell.
Yeah. Can’t see any reason not to think of McCullar as a Top 6 of the rotation guy. Could end up being Top 2-3.
If he wasn't going to play here, he just would have picked Gonzaga.

That has to be similar to what Mosley is weighing right now. Waiting on you, Jalen.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:58 pm

Yeah. Can’t see any reason not to think of McCullar as a Top 6 of the rotation guy. Could end up being Top 2-3.

That has to be similar to what Mosley is weighing right now. Waiting on you, Jalen.
Not much longer, thankfully. We'll know Wilson's status no later than Wednesday evening at midnight.

June 1 (11:59 pm ET): NCAA early entrant withdrawal deadline

College underclassmen – and seniors who are eligible to play for more one season – who want to retain their NCAA eligibility will have to withdraw their names from the draft pool by June 1. NBA rules call for a later withdrawal deadline, but the NCAA has its own set of rules that say the deadline is 10 days after the combine.

An early entrant could technically wait until after June 1 to withdraw from the draft and could still retain his NBA draft eligibility for a future year. However, he would forfeit his amateur status in that scenario, making him ineligible to return to his NCAA squad.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’m less confident in Mosley’s ability to be an impact player, but being 6’5” should help with transitioning that 3 point shot. I’d be very worried if he was 6’1”
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:59 pm

Not much longer, thankfully. We'll know Wilson's status no later than Wednesday evening at midnight.

College underclassmen – and seniors who are eligible to play for more one season – who want to retain their NCAA eligibility will have to withdraw their names from the draft pool by June 1. NBA rules call for a later withdrawal deadline, but the NCAA has its own set of rules that say the deadline is 10 days after the combine.

An early entrant could technically wait until after June 1 to withdraw from the draft and could still retain his NBA draft eligibility for a future year. However, he would forfeit his amateur status in that scenario, making him ineligible to return to his NCAA squad.
I had thought the NCAA allowed an undrafted guy to return? I was aware of the June 1 deadline, but was not sure what all it means. Confusing.

Little surprised we got KJ Adams back. Feels like Jalen was really wanting to sneak into the end of the 2nd. Tough call. McCullar is also working out with NBA teams this week, so it feels pretty fluid.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:01 pm I’m less confident in Mosley’s ability to be an impact player, but being 6’5” should help with transitioning that 3 point shot. I’d be very worried if he was 6’1”
Yeah, the height helps, and he's not a stiff like Cam Martin, so no concern over getting the shots off. 43% is no joke and that's going to translate. Can shoot both off the catch and bounce.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:03 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:59 pm

I had thought the NCAA allowed an undrafted guy to return? I was aware of the June 1 deadline, but was not sure what all it means. Confusing.

Little surprised we got KJ Adams back. Feels like Jalen was really wanting to sneak into the end of the 2nd. Tough call. McCullar is also working out with NBA teams this week, so it feels pretty fluid.
Looks like you are right:

Under these changes, NCAA players can return to school if they are undrafted and meet three other conditions:

Players must have participated in the NBA combine
Players must request an Undergraduate Advisory Committee evaluation
Players must notify their athletics director by 5:00 PM the Monday after the draft

So yes, in theory, Wilson could stay in the draft, not get drafted and then return to school. Self has sounded pretty certain that Wilson would stay in the draft so I suppose this is still theoretically possible (since I don't see him getting drafted).
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:54 pm Yeah, I see McCullar as the Braun (and maybe Wilson) too replacement - versatile wing who can help with ball duties.

I kind of wonder what Self thinks now regarding whether he’d rather have one true small guard dominate the ballhandling, or whether he can get away with more of a scoring small guy as long as he’s got others on the court who can bring the ball up.

Related: do we see more of Dajuan and Yes on the floor at the same time, or more of one as the spell for the other?
We will almost certainly see DH for 30mpg in close games.

I assume a lot depends on the McCullar scenario we are discussing. Can Yes or Bobby hold of McCullar from taking their minutes? Can McCullar beat out Dick/Rice for their minutes?

We know, almost for certain, KJ and Clemence will play as many minutes as they can handle at the 4 and 5. Udeh gets probably all the backup 5 mins.

I think Jalen is staying in the draft, even though I think he should come back, so I am leaving him out of my scenarios for now.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I very well could be and want to be wrong on this, but MJ Rice has that feel of freshman-thinks-he's-more-ready-than-he-is-and-transfers-after-being-disappointed-with-minutes player.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:26 pm I very well could be and want to be wrong on this, but MJ Rice has that feel of freshman-thinks-he's-more-ready-than-he-is-and-transfers-after-being-disappointed-with-minutes player.
I kind of get this feeling too. With all the "we're still open to the G League, but the G League doesn't want us" rumors coming from that camp. I hope I'm wrong and the Wayne Selden comparisons are more than just physical tools.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:26 pm I very well could be and want to be wrong on this, but MJ Rice has that feel of freshman-thinks-he's-more-ready-than-he-is-and-transfers-after-being-disappointed-with-minutes player.
You've been skeptical of him from the beginning. I hope you're wrong, because he's got an NBA body. But there are definitely some red flags.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Agree with both of the previous posts.

Perception is a weird thing, but doesn't it seem like the guys that really excel here under Bill are the ones that seem to have to outwork everyone to prove wrong a bunch of doubters? Heck, that is basically the entire 2022 team.

But, the Och story is just mindboggling. No bigger success story here.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what are the Rice red flags?

he been eating too many Pillsbury products with Quentin Grimes?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I’d say more often, that is the case.
We have had a recent plug and play frosh that clicked in Dotson.
Off guard you might have to go back to Wiggs unless you think Oubre was a stud.

But is Dick in that boat?
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:51 pm But is Dick in that boat?
I am very hesitant to give him Wiggins like expectations. He isn't even a top 10 recruit in his own class despite being Gatorade POY.

That's where a guy like McCullar really helps as an insurance policy.

And if we get back Wilson then we can go

DH
??? (Whoever Self likes best)
JW
KJ
Clemence

As our starting 5.

With no JW, we are still set (imo) at the 1 4 and 5 spots. So just need a few players to emerge out of the newcomers/transfers and the returnees (Yes, Bobby, and maybe Cuffe?).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:48 pm what are the Rice red flags?

he been eating too many Pillsbury products with Quentin Grimes?
I hesitate to bring this up, because it's a hypo that just doesn't matter. But, I wonder if Selden would have stayed with today's transfer rules. Bryce Thompson couldn't get out of here fast enough.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 2:57 pmI am very hesitant to give him Wiggins like expectations.
That's because there aren't those expectations nor should there be.

Wiggins was projected Number 1 pick in the draft no matter when he declared. That was his entire high school story.

Dick is projected in the 20's. And he will have a much more comfortable and realistic role to play than Wiggs had and had to have. More like Josh Jackson, maybe Xavier Henry or Brandon Rush, too.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

is there any red flag specific to Rice, though?

or are we basing this all on what similarly ranked guys with similar heights that play similar positions did?

for that matter, I hear Rice's dad is a nutjob because look at Carl Henry!