Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Forward

Post by KUTradition »

let’s see how long this lasts

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/07/28/poli ... index.html

with yang at the forefront, i’ve already got my doubts
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Cascadia

Re: Forward

Post by Cascadia »

Yang is a clown
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I agree we need more than 2 parties and am at least curious about this one but yea dunno if it’ll make much of a splash
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

that’s where i’m at

i like and support the idea, but 3rd parties have always struggled in the US and the folks seemingly leading this effort don’t appear to have the charisma to really generate the kind of buzz needed
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Moderates are too comfy in their zone to stir anything up and make a national scene, but how large is their voting block, and, given the present political atmosphere, how may farther left individuals would opt to vote moderate to get sanity and adeptness back in the white house?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:35 am that’s where i’m at

i like and support the idea, but 3rd parties have always struggled in the US and the folks seemingly leading this effort don’t appear to have the charisma to really generate the kind of buzz needed
For me, it just depends on their party's platform. I'll need to see some specifics other than just "I swear, we're moderate". Moderate on what? I don't give a crap about charisma of party leaders. Maybe I care when it comes down to specific candidates but they don't have any yet.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

There is no doubt that this country is in desperate need of a true third-party. But Andrew Yang is a fucking clown.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

twocoach wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:36 am

For me, it just depends on their party's platform. I'll need to see some specifics other than just "I swear, we're moderate". Moderate on what? I don't give a crap about charisma of party leaders. Maybe I care when it comes down to specific candidates but they don't have any yet.
that’s pretty much my point (maybe charisma was the wrong word). the only thing that immediately comes to mind about the folks involved is that yang wanted to give away money

that’s just not gonna cut it, and i don’t know that staying in the shadows and “supporting” moderate candidates of other parties in the short-term is really going to do them any favors
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I saw one of the founders of this thing on one of the news channels very briefly. He was saying they want liberals and conservatives to join the party, the main thing they want is meaningful debate and logical conclusions. Not sure what their platform is other than being nice to each other.

Good luck.
Defense. Rebounds.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:18 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:36 am

that’s pretty much my point (maybe charisma was the wrong word). the only thing that immediately comes to mind about the folks involved is that yang wanted to give away money

that’s just not gonna cut it, and i don’t know that staying in the shadows and “supporting” moderate candidates of other parties in the short-term is really going to do them any favors
I completely agree with the analysis. What we need is a set of non-negotiable positions on some key issues (ie. a platform of sorts). Basically a list of “If elected our candidates will do…….will change…….and will oppose…….” - about 3-4 items in each category.

Otherwise it’ll be just a case of “meet the new boss, same as the old boss”.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I like them because their one issue they have an opinion on is ranked-choice voting - which does lead to getting moderates in power.

Yang will need to check his ego at the door if he wants it to succeed. They should try to recruit John Stewart. Also need a more conservative voice to go along with that. Denver Riggleman maybe, not sure if he's well-known enough.