Kansas Football 2022 Season

Kansas Football.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Kansas Football 2022 Season

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I would not be shocked if it's less about LL's contract and more about the staff's.

I'd think LL's could be addressed at pretty much any time, and he's already received an extension this season. The rest of the staff might involve broader budget concerns.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm sure Goff is also feeling bombarded with all of the complaints about the stadium given we're getting ready for the 3rd straight sell out.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah, I think the last thing that Leipold wants to do is negotiate a contract during the season, especially one that has been so successful to start.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

And KU is going to want a larger buyout clause.

I bet LL's response would be: then take care of my staff, they've been with me for more than a decade.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:28 pm I'm sure Goff is also feeling bombarded with all of the complaints about the stadium given we're getting ready for the 3rd straight sell out.
Sounds like last week was better but still have improvements to be made. Some of those improvements can be made (better concession staffing and stocking, more vendors out in the aisles bringing things to you instead of requiring fans to go stand in line, etc...) and some are totally reliant on the stadium being upgraded (bigger concourses etc...).
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

The rumor going around about who was awarded the construction contract is the same company who built the DeBruce Center, the Lawrence Public Library, and the new on-campus football stadium/multi-use area at Tulane.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The WiFi is another issue and KU says they can't upgrade that this year.

There needs to be some kind of temporary cell towers brought in, but that might be a city thing, and KU and the city don't always play nice together.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

UnholyLivingDead wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:47 pm The rumor going around about who was awarded the construction contract is the same company who built the DeBruce Center, the Lawrence Public Library, and the new on-campus football stadium/multi-use area at Tulane.
Surprised it's not Populous, but Gould Evans has some nice looking projects.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i like the DeBrice Center, but tulane’s stadium gets a meh (at least from the few pics i’ve seen)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:58 pm i like the DeBrice Center, but tulane’s stadium gets a meh (at least from the few pics i’ve seen)
Tulane doesn't have a ton of space. They did what they could, I think. KU, on the other hand, seems to have a ton of space.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Of course, this could all just be rumor, but I think something that is truly unique, which would need to be reflected in a firm's RFP response, is the setup around 11th and Mississippi and basically in every direction from that intersection.

Quite frankly, it's a clusterfuck right now. The charm of the student ghetto houses is great, but it's a nightmare to get around unless you're on foot, which we know there is going to naturally be traffic in the area given the current setup.

The Tulane rebuild had to navigate stuff like that.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:01 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:58 pm i like the DeBrice Center, but tulane’s stadium gets a meh (at least from the few pics i’ve seen)
Tulane doesn't have a ton of space. They did what they could, I think. KU, on the other hand, seems to have a ton of space.
KU is going to require a lot more suites. Stadium itself won't be anything similar to Tulane, regardless of which firm wins the bid.
shindig

Post by shindig »

They better just modify/upgrade the stadium and not build a new stadium off campus. Have there been any discussions of building new?
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

There has been speculation of both building new or major renovations but nobody has mentioned moving it off-campus. It will all be done where the stadium currently is. They have looked at multiple plans from tearing the whole thing down to leaving the current outer structure as a façade and tearing out the guts and rebuilding new inside of there. Rumor is they are also still deciding on a timeline between two options: either tackle it in separate phases during the offseasons or do it all at once and play one or two season at Children's Mercy Park.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Tear it down. Play a season or two at Sporting Park, hell the LA Chargers did that and they're an NFL team. That one is like 25K seats. Sporting Park around 20K.

That's my preference at least. I get campus games are exciting and the talk of the community. But make it the long-term play and do it right.

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's gonna be at 119th and I-35.

Miss you, Leawood.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:48 pm The WiFi is another issue and KU says they can't upgrade that this year.

There needs to be some kind of temporary cell towers brought in, but that might be a city thing, and KU and the city don't always play nice together.
Ah, agreed, that slipped my mind. It sucks pretty bad when they are pushing everyone to use digital tickets and then you can't get a signal to retrieve your digital tickets. There have been people bitching about "I can't get a signal to get to my tickets" every time I have gone to a KU football game. Not an issue for most savvy techies who remember to take a screen pic or to load them to their Google wallets prior to arrival but those less savvy can get stuck at the whim of a shitty signal.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Vernon now saying stadium a complete tear down starting in 2023.

We’ll see.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:41 pm Tear it down. Play a season or two at Sporting Park, hell the LA Chargers did that and they're an NFL team. That one is like 25K seats. Sporting Park around 20K.

That's my preference at least. I get campus games are exciting and the talk of the community. But make it the long-term play and do it right.
Good point, but KUFB has better attendance than the Chargers. ;)