Da Weed Thread

Coffee talk.
Mjl

Re: Da Weed Thread

Post by Mjl »

The idea that the Federal Government should be able to force states to legalize weed is a really odd take.

As long as it's not something discriminatory and not going directly against federal law the states can make just about anything illegal.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:38 pm The idea that the Federal Government should be able to force states to legalize weed is a really odd take.

As long as it's not something discriminatory and not going directly against federal law the states can make just about anything illegal.
They should just remove it from Schedule 1 and I would bet that a number of the country the states dragging along behind the rest would begin to legalize it. If any stragglers want to continue to not take advantage of the additional tax revenue after that then let them suffer the consequences of being surrounded by states that will happily accept that revenue.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

removal from schedule 1 status also makes it MUCH easier for research
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:47 am
Mjl wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:38 pm The idea that the Federal Government should be able to force states to legalize weed is a really odd take.

They should just remove it from Schedule 1 and I would bet that a number of the country the states dragging along behind the rest would begin to legalize it. If any stragglers want to continue to not take advantage of the additional tax revenue after that then let them suffer the consequences of being surrounded by states that will happily accept that revenue.
Exactly.

It's just I've seen suggestions that the Federal Government should legalize it nationally, which seems like federal overreach to force states to legalize it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

perhaps the federal overreach was giving it Schedule 1 status in the first place?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Probably belongs across the hall but we’re well past the point in the lifecycle of a democracy to be reliant on our system which is working through a patchwork of 50 legal frameworks overlaid by a national one. Either we’re a country or a collection of 50 fiefdoms. Put an end to this nonsense anachronism (based mostly on not offending the feelings of supporters of slavery), and abolish the Senate while we’re at it. Federalism had outlived its usefulness in 1900. Give it the cremation it deserves and move on.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I personally think that we are too large of a country to either be just federal or just state. If we were a dinky country like over in Europe then it's easy but we aren't.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if, say, the feds suddenly downgraded weed from schedule 1, how many state and local gummints would follow suit?

presumably all the states that already legalized recreational and/or medicinal weed, if not to say they have already.

Are there other states that are more progressive about weed but not yet legalized anyway?

Would any red states? Through some combo of feigned morality, and also defiance of the feds and progressives, they'd prob double down.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Nebraska-Kansas vs Colorado conflict regarding recreational use is sufficient proof that having individual state laws don’t work. Now we have the aftermath of Roe decision adding to it. Unfortunately “sticking it to the libs” seems to be the governing principle in several States.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

you're right. as usual.

lets have california set the pace for the rest of the country. whatever they do, the rest of us will follow.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Getting marijuana off the schedule 1 list would be Bidens crowning achievement to date. This should have happened decades ago.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:46 pm Getting marijuana off the schedule 1 list would be Bidens crowning achievement to date.
it would be his first achievement to date. so, yes. by definition it would be his crowning achievement to date.

gotta start somewhere.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

lol, we know you’re dumb mich, no need to keep proving it.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:30 pm you're right. as usual.

lets have california set the pace for the rest of the country. whatever they do, the rest of us will follow.
Or we could be like Michigan and poison our own drinking water.
Defense. Rebounds.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Cascadia wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:46 pm Getting marijuana off the schedule 1 list would be Bidens crowning achievement to date. This should have happened decades ago.
Actually Biden has been ahead of the wave on many issues. Remember how everyone was aghast at his “gaffe” in support of same-gender marriage?

I do agree that this was a low-hanging fruit but with massive implication.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mjl wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:37 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:47 am

Exactly.

It's just I've seen suggestions that the Federal Government should legalize it nationally, which seems like federal overreach to force states to legalize it.
Trying to think of a route that could get you there: maybe if the federal government's position is that if you criminalize weed sales, it would cause a dangerous drug game. Like the racketeering that prohibition created. You, obviously, still have the police power issue, but I agree, let the backwards states just hang themselves by keeping weed criminal.

And, to that end, of all states, Oklahoma has medical sales and Missouri is about ready to get full rec. The public opinion has fully turned.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Lol, such a lawyer.

I mean, I don't know if that's technically right or not. But personally, I like states having the ability to set laws as long as they're not discriminatory (opens bag of worms seeing as marijuana offenses disproportionately affect PoC... But closing that bag for now). In general, and this is moreso a response to zsn, I like states being able to set laws so people can move to what fits them best without having to emigrate.

Gosh darn it, that then gets to discrimination against poor because they don't have the ability to just pick up and move.

Everything is too complicated.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

And psychedelics!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »