2023 Recruiting

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2023 Recruiting

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'll never forget the infamous month where Bill put Mario as the starting PG and he was so bad at it that we ended up using Steven Vinson as the PG, and Mario never started at the 1 again.

He was a perfect fit for LeBron/Wade, though. Hoops has evolved--don't necessarily need a John Stockton anymore.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I remember playing Arizona and Mario getting his pocket picked multiple possessions in a row. Like couldn't even get the ball past half court.

that was like December 2005 tho, when Mario was still so wet behind the ears that Jeff Hawkins was playing big minutes too. That was back when freshmen tended to look a lot more like freshman than they do now.

I guess my point is, I dunno if Mario getting punked in his first semester on campus is necessarily an indictment of his PG abilities as a whole.

That also coincided with Self realizing Russ was the better fit at the 1 either way.

I think Mario is more just the archetypal "combo guard." Could score, pass, defend, do it all. He was good enough at assisting and running the offense that I dunno if you can diss his PG skills. And tho he was built more like a PG, he had the wingspan to make up for it. (heck, remember when Mario started at the 3?!)
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:45 pmI guess my point is, I dunno if Mario getting punked in his first semester on campus is necessarily an indictment of his PG abilities as a whole.
Wasn't my intention, it's just an amusing anecdote. This ain't a politics argument.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and re: Mario's NBA career, yea he was a perfect fit for Lebron/Wade.

On one hand yea that helped his own resume and accolades. But on the other hand, I just hesitate to discount anyone at all as a PG who started as PG on 4 straight finals teams and got 2 rings out of it, especially when he's a Jayhawk.

Heck, Mario is a living testament to the fact there's no way Lebron could have ever won the rings he did WITHOUT a Jayhawk on the roster with him!

See also: Kaun, Sasha; and Morris, Markieff.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PJ Tucker has basically spent whole seasons at the 5, does that make him a center?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:00 pm PJ Tucker has basically spent whole seasons at the 5, does that make him a center?
no. lol. that still blows my mind
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:17 pm I'll never forget the infamous month where Bill put Mario as the starting PG and he was so bad at it that we ended up using Steven Vinson as the PG, and Mario never started at the 1 again.

He was a perfect fit for LeBron/Wade, though. Hoops has evolved--don't necessarily need a John Stockton anymore.
this is a perfect example of why I don't expect much from freshman right off the bat. a lot of people on this board get hypeddddd and think these 5 star freshman are gonna come in ready to dominate. it takes time for most of them. that mario chalmers dude ended up being a decent college player though didnt he
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

wow…have some guards
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

10th overall class according to ESPN.
digitalkookie

Post by digitalkookie »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:09 pm wow…have some guards
And rather sizeable guards at that
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Cuffe Yes and Bobby should be worried about playing time. Not sure they can beat these guys out. Especially Cuffe and Yes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think all of them though I may have a weird deal for Pettiford bc he just seems to show things, that I think are quintessential Self traits, I like.
Deleted User 863

Pettiford is easy to like.

But these 3 coming in have NBA potential. I don't think Pettiford does.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:36 pm I think all of them though I may have a weird deal for Pettiford bc he just seems to show things, that I think are quintessential Self traits, I like.
I really like Pettiford. Said as much last year and like him even more so far this year. Just does a lot of good things and plays smart.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

^^^^^^
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Pettiford is like having a Frank or Sherron that can't score. Good to have off the bench, but I think some of these 2023 guards are going to give us a little more.

Our most important recruit this spring is probably Gradey Dick.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:38 am Pettiford is like having a Frank or Sherron that can't score. Good to have off the bench, but I think some of these 2023 guards are going to give us a little more.

Our most important recruit this spring is probably Gradey Dick.
*can't shoot. Pettiford can get buckets if he can get downhill. He's quick and can score around the rim. But that's going to be harder to do against better competition
Deleted User 863

I hope Gradey is a top 10 pick by the end of the year.