F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
Arjhawk

Re: F the NCAA

Post by Arjhawk »

Well, now THERE'S the problem. Doonesbury was ALSO a great comic.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:23 am
pdub wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:10 am Or:

Your favorite BBQ place serves one sandwich with cheese on it and they call it the MIZZOU-wich.

Yea, I know, don't care for that, but it's still a great BBQ joint.

New owners: We've decided to serve cheese on all our BBQ unless you specifically ask for no cheese, all our menu items are going to go up in price by 20% and will be named after MIZZOU athletes and the whole bar is going to be painted yellow and black with tiger paws.

OK, well, there's a BBQ place down the road that has much better BBQ reviews but was themed and a bit over the top, but I preferred coming here because I have since I was a kid, I may still come here but it may not be my go to anymore.
viewtopic.php?t=1481
ousdahl, i don't know you and you don't know me but that's the clearest Rickroll i've ever seen. ain't nobody clicking on that link, smh.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Arjhawk wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:41 am Well, now THERE'S the problem. Doonesbury was ALSO a great comic.
It was!
Alas, in the end, became boring, pretentious and unreadable.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

I agree with everyone and no one.
Ain't no seats
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:09 am
If you want to make a different point, of course feel free, but all I'm really hearing is that you have the warm-and-fuzzies over the 50s. Or, if not the 50s, some other period of time when the speed limit was more to your liking.
32 players from seven colleges admitted to taking bribes between 1947 and 1950 to fix 86 games in 17 states. The good old days.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:29 pm
If you want to make a different point, of course feel free, but all I'm really hearing is that you have the warm-and-fuzzies over the 50s. Or, if not the 50s, some other period of time when the speed limit was more to your liking.
32 players from seven colleges admitted to taking bribes between 1947 and 1950 to fix 86 games in 17 states. The good old days.
Do Helms titles count, then, jeez. Are you telling me that KU has not won a SINGLE championship during a time of purity and love-for-the-game???
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the Naismith era was pure

55-60

;)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:14 pm the Naismith era was pure

55-60

;)
Gutter bet the over 60 wins.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

55-60

;)
Doc Naismith gets a bad rap for his win/loss record. I know he told Phog "you don't coach basketball" but...during his 9 year tenure as head coach only 11 of those games were played in Lawrence - 4 against Lawrence YMCA and 7 against Haskell. KU literally had no home court for games. Some of those games Naismith was pressed into officiating duty. Some games, even though he's listed as the head coach, he wasn't even able to attend due to his duties as athletic director of KU.

How many coaches would have a winning record without a home court?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

This might be ignorant, but is it safe to assume there were fans back then? How many and did they get into the games?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

AlOerter wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:18 pm

55-60

;)
Doc Naismith gets a bad rap for his win/loss record. I know he told Phog "you don't coach basketball" but...during his 9 year tenure as head coach only 11 of those games were played in Lawrence - 4 against Lawrence YMCA and 7 against Haskell. KU literally had no home court for games. Some of those games Naismith was pressed into officiating duty. Some games, even though he's listed as the head coach, he wasn't even able to attend due to his duties as athletic director of KU.

i’d heard about the home games issue, but don’t think i knew it was only 11 - that’s nuts

thanks for the post, seriously. i always appreciate those tidbits of history
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Nice of him to post directly to Iowa State and Kansas State fans.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:55 pm

55-60

;)

i’d heard about the home games issue, but don’t think i knew it was only 11 - that’s nuts

thanks for the post, seriously. i always appreciate those tidbits of history
agree, cheers
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

55-60

;)

"Ain't no seats" literally true from the start.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:11 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:29 pm
Do Helms titles count, then, jeez. Are you telling me that KU has not won a SINGLE championship during a time of purity and love-for-the-game???
It’s all revisionist history. Love of the game? Lol. I wonder how much Wilt got to come to KU? We all been cheating, for a long time.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

At Kansas, the Dipper's focus was not on the classroom. Discus thrower Al Oerter, winner of gold medals for four consecutive Olympics from 1956 to 1968, shared a business class with Chamberlain at KU. He always noticed when Chamberlain was there, which by Oerter's estimate was "one out of ten [classes]." Oerter looked up from his final examination and saw a small white student signing his name on the exam as "Wilt Chamberlain." Oerter whispered to the student, "Somehow you don't look like Wilt."..
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:46 am
At Kansas, the Dipper's focus was not on the classroom. Discus thrower Al Oerter, winner of gold medals for four consecutive Olympics from 1956 to 1968, shared a business class with Chamberlain at KU. He always noticed when Chamberlain was there, which by Oerter's estimate was "one out of ten [classes]." Oerter looked up from his final examination and saw a small white student signing his name on the exam as "Wilt Chamberlain." Oerter whispered to the student, "Somehow you don't look like Wilt."..
Gotta give a big thumbs up to the Al Oerter reference!
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

AlOerter wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:32 pm
Gotta give a big thumbs up to the Al Oerter reference!
thought you’d like that
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It seems fairly clear that, at no time anyone now alive was, well, alive...has college basketball been anything remotely close to financially or academically pure.

And that people obsessed over retconning to the contrary...should really, really, really think about what interests, of third parties, are served by that obsession. More plainly: people who are NOT, themselves, motivated by very bad shit...are being used by people who are.