COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by KUTradition »

the evolution of covid variants…

evolution happens when 1) there is variation that is 2) heritable and 3) confers a relative advantage that results in more genetic information being passed to future generations from those with the beneficial variation, than those without the beneficial variation

beneficial variations in viruses most often are 1) host immune system evasion, and 2) greater transmissibility (among other things)

it’s obvious if you aren't a snowflake of conspiracy monger
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

also, covid evolves at a significantly higher rate than influenza

not surprisingly, the flu shots we could’ve gotten 20 years ago aren’t going to be efficacious today

edit: i misspoke, influenza viruses actually have faster rates of mutation
Last edited by KUTradition on Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

#science
#facts
#dontbearube
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i will listen to your blabber with the equal portion that i will listen to joe rogan.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

Interesting how Africa was doing pretty well without any shots. Almost seems like the vaccines just fueled variant evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzhBVC9eu8
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

StayCurious wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:44 am Interesting how Africa was doing pretty well without any shots. Almost seems like the vaccines just fueled variant evolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjzhBVC9eu8
ever been to africa?

know anything about the reliability of healthcare data on the continent?

know anything about the population density of the continent?

keep swinging…
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:35 am the evolution of covid variants…

evolution happens when 1) there is variation that is 2) heritable and 3) confers a relative advantage that results in more genetic information being passed to future generations from those with the beneficial variation, than those without the beneficial variation

beneficial variations in viruses most often are 1) host immune system evasion, and 2) greater transmissibility (among other things)

it’s obvious if you aren't a snowflake of conspiracy monger
All those variants and I had the delta. The "worst one"

Mild symptoms. Bad headache. Moving along
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

I avoided covid until July 4th of this year. I rarely have a fever that lasts more than 2 hours, but this one lasted 12 hours. It was only 99 degrees, but felt weird. It was unlike other colds. I felt fine three days later, but I lost my sense of smell for 2 or 3 weeks. That was the worst part of it.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mrs 99 had a lot of patients who were not so lucky.
Defense. Rebounds.
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

Were they vaccinated?

Everyone in our home got it in July. That version of it was super contagious, which likely meant it was weaker than the Delta. My wife and I take our vitamins and got over it very fast. I didn't even have much of cough, but the headache and fever were unpleasant enough. I lost my appetite for those weeks I could not smell very well. It's really unpleasant to lose your sense of smell. I was so happy when mine returned.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

StayCurious wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:44 am Interesting how Africa was doing pretty well without any shots. Almost seems like the vaccines just fueled variant evolution.
a. Africa was not “doing pretty well” regardless of what YouTube says
b. It’s the disparity in the early availability of vaccines, coupled with a large immune-compromised population in Africa which was the breeding ground for Omicron variants.

It’s textbook immunology. PhD would have flunked students who wouldn’t have reached that conclusion, given the set of facts. In any case, believe what you want, including the housing crash in 2019 or sooner.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

StayCurious wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:36 pm Were they vaccinated?

Everyone in our home got it in July. That version of it was super contagious, which likely meant it was weaker than the Delta. My wife and I take our vitamins and got over it very fast. I didn't even have much of cough, but the headache and fever were unpleasant enough. I lost my appetite for those weeks I could not smell very well. It's really unpleasant to lose your sense of smell. I was so happy when mine returned.
Post vaccination, most were not vaxed. Some were but she did not have anyone who had the vax get intubated. All of these patients were un-vaxed.

Many of them also refused meds that would have helped but family members were intellectually honest and did their own research on FB.
Defense. Rebounds.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

zsn wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:44 pm
a. Africa was not “doing pretty well” regardless of what YouTube says
b. It’s the disparity in the early availability of vaccines, coupled with a large immune-compromised population in Africa which was the breeding ground for Omicron variants.

It’s textbook immunology. PhD would have flunked students who wouldn’t have reached that conclusion, given the set of facts. In any case, believe what you want, including the housing crash in 2019 or sooner.
Omnicron. Aka the weakening of covid
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

Interesting, because the people who were vaccinated in my wife's side of the family were the ones who had covid longer and with more severe symptoms. I read about people getting covid over and over again who were vaxxed. It doesn't look good for what the vax has done.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

I'm no Phd, but I would image that it's probably a lot easier for someone to have the opportunity to get "covid over and over again" when they didn't waste all their time dying in the hospital during their first bout with covid.
Ain't no seats
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

What usually happens when someone gets the flu is that their body gains natural immunity for about 10 years or more. What we're seeing with covid is really unusual because of a couple of reasons. Firstly, the vaccines (or shots is a more accurate description) have been shown to weaken immune system function in some people. The other thing is that the continuing mutation of the spike protein in covid seems to evade prior protection. Normally, a flu virus would be 98-99% the same virus your body had seen previous, so it immediately takes care of it. With covid, the virus is still 99% the same as the original strain in 2020, yet it still evades immunity. Why? Because the mutated spike protein and also, because the vaccine weakens immune systems in some people.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Wait, so you can only get the flu once every 10 years? Fascinating.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

StayCurious wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:13 pm What usually happens when someone gets the flu is that their body gains natural immunity for about 10 years or more. What we're seeing with covid is really unusual because of a couple of reasons. Firstly, the vaccines (or shots is a more accurate description) have been shown to weaken immune system function in some people. The other thing is that the continuing mutation of the spike protein in covid seems to evade prior protection. Normally, a flu virus would be 98-99% the same virus your body had seen previous, so it immediately takes care of it. With covid, the virus is still 99% the same as the original strain in 2020, yet it still evades immunity. Why? Because the mutated spike protein and also, because the vaccine weakens immune systems in some people.
Everything you said here is false.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Get your bivalent boosters everybody.

Don't listen to lobster or randy.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
StayCurious

Post by StayCurious »

I thought you had me on ignore?

Look, we all know what I said is legit. If it was just b.s., you would ignore it. It's not going to do you any good in life to keep ignoring what is.

People can make up their own minds. If the first 4 shots failed, they can repeat the same thing hoping for different result. I sincerely hope they have woken up by now.