F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: F the NCAA

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:52 am i can understand wanting to be unique, but if it’s pronounced the same way why make it difficult with crazy spellings?
"Children as accessories" is a real thing. Some people use their kid's names as a way to promote how interesting and unique they (think) they are. It's a shitty, self absorbed thing to do to your kid.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Depends how Google-able you want the kid to be.
I kinda like having a common enough name - I'm not Google-able. You just get a bunch of doctors for the most part... no wonder my parents are upset at my career choice.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Mjl wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:14 pm no wonder my parents are upset at my career choice.
LOL
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Absurdity.

There’s just not enough $.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Tostitos. Mmmm. Beer, circuses and chips.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

That's fucking stupid.

Also...pure robbery and probably some sort of money laundering/bribe/buying. What on that can possibly cost 2.5 mil?
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Phew.

We dodged a bullet when we hired Front-Butt instead of this cheater...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 999739002/
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:01 pm Phew.

We dodged a bullet when we hired Front-Butt instead of this cheater...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 999739002/
I heard the violations were relatively minor but what the NCAA is pissed about is UMich's response and cooperation.

After what we've seen the last few years with NCAA, I'm a little conflicted here (see thread title).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

New NCAA NIL Rules: Guilty Until Proven Innocent

https://defector.com/new-ncaa-nil-rules ... n-innocent
In [making] life easier for investigators by moving a lot of their work to the schools that are charged, [NCAA vice president of enforcement Jon] Duncan casually dismisses the need for clearcut evidence of wrongdoing:
I do think it relieves us of the obligation to have a smoking gun in every case, to have some witness on the record say exactly what happened and why, or a damning text message or video — which occasionally you get, but not very often you get.
Having a smoking gun is important! The whole reason that idiom exists is because we've all repeatedly agreed that hard evidence matters and the presumption of innocence is worth protecting.

If the NCAA is looking to punish schools without actual proof of guilt, then they're just targeting behavior that seems suspicious, or feels like it's not on the level. It's a stupid way to run a judicial system (even a fake one), and while the organization could do without having a phony detective agency dedicated to limiting workers' pay in the first place, if they are going to have one, it could at least adhere to a basic principle of human rights. We live in a society, after all.

But it makes perfect sense why the NCAA wants more leeway in punishing the schools, administrators, and ultimately the players they see as offenders. As the overblown "wild west" cliche implies, the last year-and-a-half since NCAA v. Alston has led to probably the best time ever to be a college athlete. With new paths to making money that can benefit popular personalities in non-revenue sports and even keep major stars in school for longer, at least a little bit of the gross exploitation that literally defined college athletics has been lifted. But this relative worker freedom comes at the expense of some of the power the NCAA once held over its subjects. The old guard hasn't exactly been secretive about its displeasure with the new developments. Clearly, they're going to try whatever they can to reverse them.
surly

Post by surly »

I can't believe this is still a topic here. Isn't there a statute of limitations?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pick one:

A. after KU gets done repeating as back to back champs like nbd, Adidas announces a bold new shoe they're naming the "NIL," branded with the student ath-o-lete in mind. Adidas then announces they want the face of the new brand to be Gradey Dick. After a long deliberation, testing the waters, discussing with family, praying to Allah, and so many Adidas duffel bags that he's gotta borrow Zion's G-Wagon to help transport them all, Dick announces he's returning to Lawrence. He shows up for the 23-24 season as the mutherfuckin DUDE, 20 more pounds of muscle, two sleeves of ink plus the 3 tears under his eye, and topped off with the senior Frank Mason haircut...plus his own signature NILs, of course. Dick breaks all sorts of shooting records while leading KU to a three-peat. As he accepts his MOP hardware, Dick removes his game-worn NILs, autographs them, and gives them to Gutter who's at the game and takes blurry pics and posts them here for us. Ous isn't there tho, he went to Mass Street again.

B. KU stumbles their way to tie for 3rd in the conference, asses kicked early by a Pac 12 team, and Gradey gets drafted 1st round and plays in the NBA for like 2 decades anyway.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Great question!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh come on you guys, why the hesitation? You don’t wanna see more blurry gutter pics?

At the very least, could we request a photoshop of Gradey with ink and BIFM hair?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

That is way too TLDR.

Like if you ask someone what kind of cheeseburger they want and each has 45 toppings with slight variances.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ha ya, a little too much creative writing.

The gist of it is, would we want Gradey back if it also meant Gradey becomes the poster child for some bold new NIL deal.
surly

Post by surly »

more likely B. dick takes his long mcarthur nil deal this year, but the nba drafts potential. he adds 20-pounds. plays second fiddle to dean wade with the cavs. this after ku stumbles through its worst season in decades. self changes headpieces from the near mullet to full dreads. tang prays over it. brings in a motherload. and the worm turns.
Last edited by surly on Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:38 am Ha ya, a little too much creative writing.

The gist of it is, would we want Gradey back if it also meant Gradey becomes the poster child for some bold new NIL deal.
I'll take Dick back and hope he gets $1m+ deal from adidas. I don't see the dilemma, but I did not read your options.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG