Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 2022/2023 NBA Season

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:05 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am

My worthless 2 cents....
They knew what they had with Brunson and what he was capable of. A very good player with a nice looking future. They chose to let him move on and leave salary room for a better player. I agree "they don't get a pass" but what a guy does on a different team really has nothing to do with what he did on his former team. Or am I not understanding? Which of course is entirely possible.
In the scenario where they knew what they had and let him walk, they're worse off without him after being close to a finals appearance.

And now have a prima donna max player. What Brunson's doing for NYK (and during last year's playoffs) is an illustration of what they let go compared to what they have now. Hindsight is 20/20, but they absolutely would have been better off just re-signing Brunson.
I am never a believer in the whole "if he can do that there then he would have done it here" thing. Maybe what Brunson does well is more available to him outside of an offense with Luka on it than he did in an offense with Brunson. Luka is #2 in the NBA in usage % this year and was #5 with Brunson last year so maybe Brunson just wasn't the right fit next to that type of player.
Brunson was Dallas's 2nd best player in the playoffs last year that ended in a WCF. 22 ppg next to Luka. Brunson averages 23 this year. They didn't let him go because of fit. And Luka's increased usage% has led to a worse record for DAL.

And again, it's not just not paying Brunson, it's the entire set of moves that has Dallas going from WCF to lotto team in one season while having one of the top 3 players in the league whom is 23 years old.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:13 am Brunson is/was scratching All Star level this season.
He's on a lot of 'snubbed' lists.
I struggle with that. He's the 2nd best player on a mediocre team. Do they really deserve 2 all stars?

Harden, the Atlanta Hawks guards, Kyrie, the Cavs guards (especially Mitchell), Haliburton, LaMelo (although he's been hurt a lot) are all guards I think are better than Brunson and/or having better seasons than Brunson.

They can't all be all stars.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:10 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:05 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 am

In the scenario where they knew what they had and let him walk, they're worse off without him after being close to a finals appearance.

And now have a prima donna max player. What Brunson's doing for NYK (and during last year's playoffs) is an illustration of what they let go compared to what they have now. Hindsight is 20/20, but they absolutely would have been better off just re-signing Brunson.
I am never a believer in the whole "if he can do that there then he would have done it here" thing. Maybe what Brunson does well is more available to him outside of an offense with Luka on it than he did in an offense with Brunson. Luka is #2 in the NBA in usage % this year and was #5 with Brunson last year so maybe Brunson just wasn't the right fit next to that type of player.
Brunson was Dallas's 2nd best player in the playoffs last year that ended in a WCF. 22 ppg next to Luka. Brunson averages 23 this year. They didn't let him go because of fit. And Luka's increased usage% has led to a worse record for DAL.

And again, it's not just not paying Brunson, it's the entire set of moves that has Dallas going from WCF to lotto team in one season while having one of the top 3 players in the league whom is 23 years old.
The whole situation in Dallas has been odd. They routinely make head scratching moves. Beats me. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before the next "oh, there it is" moment from Kyrie. I am glad he isn't polluting any teams that I want to watch.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:50 am Hindsight is 20/20, but they absolutely would have been better off just re-signing Brunson.
Better off in what way though? Better off for the first half of this season? Sure. Better off next year and the following years? Absolutely not.

Having a long term contract on Brunson isn't better off than having a TON of cap space this offseason.

They overachieved to get to the conference finals. That wasn't going to happen this year imo.

Also, Kyrie is significantly better than Brunson. It isn't close.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:34 amKyrie. I am glad he isn't polluting any teams that I want to watch.
Makes it a hell of a lot easier to root for Jacque Vaughn.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:37 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:34 amKyrie. I am glad he isn't polluting any teams that I want to watch.
Makes it a hell of a lot easier to root for Jacque Vaughn.
Yep. And Vaughn handled that whole situation about as well as can be asked. Nothing but professionalism and a hard work mentality.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:36 amBetter off next year and the following years? Absolutely not.

Having a long term contract on Brunson isn't better off than having a TON of cap space this offseason.
We disagree. Cap space is the ballad of the loser. Look at the Chicago Bears. Hell even the Sixers who clutched to that for way too long.

And again, the cap space doesn't seem to be that wide open as some expect b/c of the Wood contract. Dallas made poor moves and could even lose Luka over it. So much winning.
Deleted User 863

Looking at the upcoming free agents. IF dallas decides NOT to pay big money to Wood, there are a lot of good pieces they could get. Not necessarily max guys. And if we are being honest, I am not sure very many max guys fit well with Luka. Especially guards or wings.

But they could potentially get 2 or 3 starters with that available money.

What if they could get Oubre, Draymond, and Seth Curry for that money they'll open up by not resigning Kyrie?

Tons of really good players heading into free agency. That flexibility maybe gives them hope to become a contender before Luka bolts?
Deleted User 863

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoVaGd1ubFi ... M4ZDc5MmU=

The Nets offered the Lakers Kyrie for Westbrook, Christie, Reaves, 2027 1st round pick, and 2029 1st round pick.

I'd say GM LeBron made a smart move by not giving that much up for what might be a half season rental.

Or are we not giving LeBron credit for GMing this deal?
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:10 am Jalen Brunson is averaging 23 pts and 6 assists on 47% shooting and 40% from 3. Mavs r dumb.
I think Brunson wanted to get away from Luka? Just cause of his usage rate.

I remember watching the mavs last season and it felt like Brunson was just a bystander until Luka took his break, then he had the freedom to play his game
Deleted User 863

Now reports are the Kyrie to Dallas trade isn't final as they are exploring options to add a 3rd team to the deal.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

When Shams says it's done, it's done.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/statu ... qMmWA9vqkg
Deleted User 863

The espn article updated now too.
Deleted User 863

Ja in the news for all the wrong reasons lately...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/355 ... orum-probe

The Athletic reported that acquaintances of the Grizzlies' Ja Morant confronted members of the Pacers' traveling party near Indiana's bus in the FedExForum's loading dock area after the Grizzlies' 112-100 win that night. The Athletic reported a laser, coming from an SUV that it reported Morant was riding in, was pointed toward Pacers' players, coaches and others in the loading area.

The Athletic reported it was not known who shined the laser, which it reported some feared was attached to a gun.

"NBA Security and league investigators conducted an investigation interviewing numerous eyewitnesses and reviewing video surveillance following allegations made by the Indiana Pacers organization regarding a postgame incident on Jan. 29," the NBA said in a statement. "While we substantiated that a postgame situation arose that was confrontational, based on interviews and other evidence gathered, we could not corroborate that any individual threatened others with a weapon.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:25 pm Ja in the news for all the wrong reasons lately...

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/355 ... orum-probe

The Athletic reported that acquaintances of the Grizzlies' Ja Morant confronted members of the Pacers' traveling party near Indiana's bus in the FedExForum's loading dock area after the Grizzlies' 112-100 win that night. The Athletic reported a laser, coming from an SUV that it reported Morant was riding in, was pointed toward Pacers' players, coaches and others in the loading area.

The Athletic reported it was not known who shined the laser, which it reported some feared was attached to a gun.

"NBA Security and league investigators conducted an investigation interviewing numerous eyewitnesses and reviewing video surveillance following allegations made by the Indiana Pacers organization regarding a postgame incident on Jan. 29," the NBA said in a statement. "While we substantiated that a postgame situation arose that was confrontational, based on interviews and other evidence gathered, we could not corroborate that any individual threatened others with a weapon.
by RainbowsandUnicorns » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:28 pm

I am a huge Ja fan. If what is being alleged is true, if nothing else, he needs a good talking to by several entities.

https://blacksportsonline.com/2023/02/j ... s-players/
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:35 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:49 am It's a half season rental that makes them better this season and gives them significant flexibility this off season to make a big signing to pair with Luka and Wood.

They aren't contenders in the west prior to the trade anyway.

I still think it's a super weird fit for a half season rental. I don't understand how Kyrie and Luka work together well on the court together.
Big free agents don't seem to sign with Dallas for some reason. After this many failures in a row, it hardly seems to just be bad luck. There seems to be something consistently missing there. Coach? GM? Facilities? I don't know. But they seem to always fall short of their targets.
Well, Dallas is in Texas.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 863

Also sounds like Kyrie pissed the Nets ownership/front office off badly enough that they weren't going to send him to LA simply because they knew that's what he preferred.

Karma.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Jaylen Brown missed last nights game with a non COVID illness heating up rumors of a potential Kevin Durant to Boston trade.

I think it's just coincidence and has no legs buuuuut if it does: Don't do it Celtics.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:57 am Jaylen Brown missed last nights game with a non COVID illness heating up rumors of a potential Kevin Durant to Boston trade.

I think it's just coincidence and has no legs buuuuut if it does: Don't do it Celtics.
That'd be a big gamble. Especially when you're already probably the best team in the league.

If they only had to give up brown and 1 of white/brogdon then I'd be okay with it. Much more than that I don't see much benefit.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm not sure I would even like it as a 1 for 1 switch ( which I don't think would or could happen $$ wise ).
Loosing Brogdon would be a huge L for Boston.
A big part of why they lost in the Finals was zero depth.

What you gain in offense from Durant, you loose on defense and depth ( and health ).