2023-2024 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: 2023-2024 lineup

Post by twocoach »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:39 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:56 pm bone out are undoubtedly worse than bone-in
At TGIAppleChili’s, boneless definitely worse, most because of all the sodium. But, at home, boneless can be much better for you, unless you skin the wings. I did that (skinned wings) a couple times after my heart attack as I wanted wings and knew the skin had to go.

Air fryer boneless wings especially delightful.
My kids like their chicken nuggets from the air dryer, too.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Would that be chicken jerky?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

So close...
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Really, yours dries out? My stuff is always on point.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Those skinless bone-in wings….good but yeah no thanks after a couple goes. I just peel skin off (mostly) now after cooking. Leave a little for the flavors
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm a big air fryer fan. Great for leftovers, too. Doesn't dry things out like traditional baking, doesn't leave things soggy like microwaving.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:48 am I'm a big air fryer fan. Great for leftovers, too. Doesn't dry things out like traditional baking, doesn't leave things soggy like microwaving.
Leftover pizza is especially good reheated in air fryer. Perhaps next day chili better.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I asked this in some other thread and no one addressed it. I’m gonna keep asking, or someone direct me to where it’s been discussed please.

With NIL, and the portal, are we to a point where we hold these athletes more accountable for their mistakes? It’s always been mostly gauche to bash college athletes too much, as they are young and old amateur status. They aren’t even (slightly disguised) amateurs any longer. I don’t give the players on my pro teams much excuse, mostly because they are getting paid.

And those that I do are generally on rookie contracts, so a lack of experience can be given, to a degree. Now, I realize there are 1st year, 2nd year, 3rd year, and so on until Perry-Lightfoot Level years, but they aren’t under contract. Presumably, though, if they are playing, they mostly aren’t going to enter the portal, and will ‘grow’ in the program. Just seems (perhaps too early to judge) that many athletes are leaving simply because they can. Maybe that’s the whole point, but something just seems icky and out of balance at this moment. Sorry, I tried to expound a bit on where I’m coming from, but my question remains, to what level of accountability do we hold these players now?

Also, as an aside, at the fall football whatever that was Friday, there were signs imploring those that wanted to give to some NIL group, to do so for the Student-athletes. I’m in no way against NIL in principle (just skeptical of it right now). However, if we are giving money to give directly to thr players, I think the title of student-athlete is a joke (yeah, I know there are still academic benchmarks they must meet, but come on, there are so many resources to ensure the athletes make grades).
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Seeing a lot of transfer portal guys commit lately, and still none to KU. Starting to get impatient
ChicagoHawk

Post by ChicagoHawk »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:53 pm With NIL, and the portal, are we to a point where we hold these athletes more accountable for their mistakes? It’s always been mostly gauche to bash college athletes too much, as they are young and old amateur status. They aren’t even (slightly disguised) amateurs any longer. I don’t give the players on my pro teams much excuse, mostly because they are getting paid.
(…)
Just seems (perhaps too early to judge) that many athletes are leaving simply because they can. Maybe that’s the whole point, but something just seems icky and out of balance at this moment. Sorry, I tried to expound a bit on where I’m coming from, but my question remains, to what level of accountability do we hold these players now?
(…)
I’m in no way against NIL in principle (just skeptical of it right now). However, if we are giving money to give directly to thr players, I think the title of student-athlete is a joke (…).
What do you mean by “hold them accountable”? No one is infringing on your right to post mean shit about basketball players. What are you seeking permission for?

It’s still the case that they’re young and, for the most part, not paid very much. That it was gauche before had less to do with their status as amateurs and more to do with the fact that screaming about athletes publicly to “hold them accountable” is just generally kind of weird and embarrassing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"...and more to do with the fact that screaming about athletes publicly to “hold them accountable” is just generally kind of weird and embarrassing..."

Meh.
Most sports fans do this ( I guess it depends on what you mean by 'screaming' ).
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

I don’t think it’s weird to be passionate an athlete’s performance, and voicing praise or dismay when they do well or not.

But with college athletics, I’ve held the thought that calling out players was a little off limits, at least directly. For example, I’d have no problem saying player x on my pro team sucks, is overpaid, etc etc, but rarely have voiced those things out loud concerning KU players.

Although not specifically thought of when I made this post, is booing our collegiate athletes now more on, like we’d boo a pro team we liked and that continuously underperformed. Mostly, fans don’t do that at the collegiate level.

But now they are paid, and as a group, don’t have ‘allegiance’ to any school. I’m all for them getting the opportunity to play where they want, and move onto the next level as deemed eligible by whatever body seems them so, but do we still say ‘once a Jayhawk always a Jayhawk’? I dunno. That phrase, at best, feels antiquated in today’s world
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I see what you are saying B2L.
These guys have jobs now -- they are professionals in student/amateur costumes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I'm not sure, in this context, why I would care whether a guy is getting $10,000 or $1,000,000 in NIL. It's not a zero-sum game; in the NFL, cap space is finite and scarce and so there's a clear relationship between expectations and salary. So as a Chiefs fan, I definitely hold a guy taking up $10mm in the cap to a different standard than a guy with a $1m cap hit.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's a nah fam from me.
Tough to feel bad for someone who is making 1 million dollars compared to someone only making 10k and thus largely playing for the love of the game.

Extend it to, I dunno, baseball.
If your 20 million dollar a year pitcher is getting lit up every inning, you're certainly going to be more upset about it than your 400k guy who just came up from AAA.

Now extend that to B2L's scenario where before guys weren't making nearly as much money ( spare me ) and if they were making money that wasn't applied to them being students it was against the rules -- to now a dude like Gradey Dick who probably got paid just under a mill to attend KU.

B2L is right: It's tougher for me to feel bad for a player like that if they are playing poorly and/or defend them as easily as before because they are professionals now.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:51 am That's a nah fam from me.
Tough to feel bad for someone who is making 1 million dollars compared to someone only making 10k and thus largely playing for the love of the game.

Extend it to, I dunno, baseball.
If your 20 million dollar a year pitcher is getting lit up every inning, you're certainly going to be more upset about it than your 400k guy who just came up from AAA.

Now extend that to B2L's scenario where before guys weren't making nearly as much money ( spare me ) and if they were making money that wasn't applied to them being students it was against the rules -- to now a dude like Gradey Dick who probably got paid just under a mill to attend KU.

B2L is right: It's tougher for me to feel bad for a player like that if they are playing poorly and/or defend them as easily as before because they are professionals now.
I'm not saying you're wrong or you're right. I don't think there is such a thing here.

Me, personally, it just doesn't really matter. I don't think the amount of NIL a guy is or isn't getting would factor into my opinion about him or his game. It's not my money. Shoot, in this silly world where player compensation has to be dressed up in costume especially, whether a guy is getting $10 or $1,000,000 just doesn't affect me or my wallet in the slightest.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I'm not saying you're wrong or you're right. I don't think there is such a thing here."

Look how far we've come!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Nothing to hold to account really. Players get exposed and the NIL dries up. Gradey jumping to the league before he lost any more value is a great example. He wasn't getting open in college where teams could basically ride him for 40-minutes. The NBA is different, but full of superb athletes. Hope he has time to develop. Gradey could use more maturity but must feel like time is against him. He gets paid early, but maybe not for long.
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

Harrison Ingram from Stanford is visiting Lawrence soon and sounds like odds are currently good. Self's #1 target at the wing spot.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

A lineup of Harris, McCullar, Ingram, KJ, and Udeh would be terrible offensively.