2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
Back2Lawrence

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Maybe not allow NIL monies until your second year at a school. Still confused why you all are using freshman, sophomore, junior, senior. It’s a cute thought though.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I'm confused at your confusion.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

giving the players a freebie, imo, levels the field a bit more since schools have near zero commitment to the players and can recruit over them on a whim
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

AlOerter wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:47 am I'm confused at your confusion.
probably because I think they have mostly removed the “student” aspect from the student athlete equation.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:51 am giving the players a freebie, imo, levels the field a bit more since schools have near zero commitment to the players and can recruit over them on a whim
That’s the crux of the issue.

The schools aren’t required to stand by the players. The coaches can bolt anytime, or replace the players anytime. It makes no sense for only one of the three parties to be locked in.

That said - the annual roster deconstruction and reconstruction is exhausting and will eventually inhibit interest in the game.

So, to me, the answer clearly lies in contracts. To me, an athlete being free to move around as he pleases, unless and until he agrees to stay in one place in exchange for compensation, is the obvious answer. And that’s also how the world works for almost everyone else (including the coaches of course).

(It would make more logical sense for the contracts to be directly with the schools, but it can work more or less fine through NIL.)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You really want to kill college sports don't you?

Pro sports, in general, suck.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Lol of course I don’t.

But college sports will fade if players have better options. And, particularly in basketball (as compared with football), it’s just REALLY easy for there to be better options.

I’m a pragmatist. I am focused on knowing where things simply are going, and then thinking through the sensible paths for getting from here to there.

I think it’s very clear that the better way for restoring some stability to college basketball rosters is on the voluntary (compensation + contract) side, not the mandatory (you’ll get what I say, and you’ll like it) side.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

what's very clear...
and the only thing that is very clear.

Is your stance on the issue and what you see as the only way out...which, in itself, kills the sport.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:12 pm Jesse Edwards (Syracuse) visiting Lawrence...down to 4 teams.

I know nothing about him.
Guess we'll find out about him next year when we play West Virginia.
Just Ledoux it
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

TDub wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:21 am
TDub wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:12 pm Jesse Edwards (Syracuse) visiting Lawrence...down to 4 teams.

I know nothing about him.
Guess we'll find out about him next year when we play West Virginia.
There was a lot of talk about the high probability of Edwards committing to WVU on his visit. He would have been a great plan B if KU struck-out on Dickinson.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

WVU doing really well in portal this year
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:19 am what's very clear...
and the only thing that is very clear.

Is your stance on the issue and what you see as the only way out...which, in itself, kills the sport.
I just don't agree that, like, KJ Adams getting a NIL deal that pays him $100,000 next year and $500,000 if he's here in 2024-25...is going to kill the sport.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:01 am
KUTradition wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:51 am giving the players a freebie, imo, levels the field a bit more since schools have near zero commitment to the players and can recruit over them on a whim

The schools aren’t required to stand by the players. The coaches can bolt anytime, or replace the players anytime. It makes no sense for only one of the three parties to be locked in.

That said - the annual roster deconstruction and reconstruction is exhausting and will eventually inhibit interest in the game.

So, to me, the answer clearly lies in contracts. To me, an athlete being free to move around as he pleases, unless and until he agrees to stay in one place in exchange for compensation, is the obvious answer. And that’s also how the world works for almost everyone else (including the coaches of course).

(It would make more logical sense for the contracts to be directly with the schools, but it can work more or less fine through NIL.)
i don’t disagree that contracts might solve the issue…but that just feels so much ickier (even if that’s where this is all going eventually)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:34 pm

i don’t disagree that contracts might solve the issue…but that just feels so much ickier (even if that’s where this is all going eventually)
I'm not in love with it.

But I can't sort out why it is that contracts are fine for coaches, but not for players. Or for any other college student, but not for players. Or for nearly any other American, but not for players.

I have not seen anyone make a good argument for why the players should be treated differently.

The good-faith arguments...are not good arguments.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:01 am So, to me, the answer clearly lies in contracts.
KC Phogushers!!!

Just start here:

viewtopic.php?p=115710#p115710

And read til here:

viewtopic.php?p=115785#p115785
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:44 pm

I'm not in love with it.

But I can't sort out why it is that contracts are fine for coaches, but not for players. Or for any other college student, but not for players. Or for nearly any other American, but not for players.

I have not seen anyone make a good argument for why the players should be treated differently.

i’m with ya

i had to sign contracts to TA

i don’t know the right answer, or if there’s a right answer…
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:06 pm
jfish26 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:44 pm
I'm not in love with it.

i’m with ya

i had to sign contracts to TA

i don’t know the right answer, or if there’s a right answer…
The right answer depends on what's important (or not important) to any given person.

Pdub and I have diametrically opposing priorities for college basketball, and so while we both come to (and from) our positions in good faith, there's little to can be done to square views.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mjl wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 12:43 pm WVU doing really well in portal this year
Who all have the picked up? Its hard to keep track of all this
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

randylahey wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:18 pm
don't worry, just wait til free agency signing period is over and a take a look at all the new contracts. Hopefully soon we can make the dang jayhawk smaller and get a big Toyota symbol in the middle of the floor instead, cant wait to get rid of that pesky "Allen Fieldhouse" name, the Prudential Financial Field house sounds so much better.....

Hey, whatever it takes to get the right funding for the contracts for our college players. Hopefully we can stay under the salary cap this year, might need to renogiate Kevin McCullars deal if we have any chance and both him coming back and landing Hunter.

gross.
Just Ledoux it
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

randylahey wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 3:18 pm
Kerr Krissa and Edwards. That's a really solid 1 and 5.