This Team

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: This Team

Post by ousdahl »

yea.

and also, I think this team wins last night with at least one of Marcus, Silvio, or Dok.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 am Of course we would be better with those guys. Those guys are better than Vick
Svi on this team would frustrate as much as Vick.
His numbers don't show he's better than Vick.
He certainly wasn't a defensive stalwart.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't think Marcus would have won us that game.
We didn't really struggle on defense.
We did on offense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:26 am also, not to officially blame the refs on the satellite board or anything, but it's mind boggling that after that wrestling match we never even made it to the bonus in the second half.
Add this to the fact we were playing a good amount of zone.
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:27 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:24 am Of course we would be better with those guys. Those guys are better than Vick
Numbers aside, he's a hard worker, good teammate, and good shooter. Stays out of off the court trouble.

I'd take Svi over Vick everyday of the week. That's why he's in the NBA and Vick never will be. He's just simply better.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:28 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:26 am also, not to officially blame the refs on the satellite board or anything, but it's mind boggling that after that wrestling match we never even made it to the bonus in the second half.
Add this to the fact we were playing a good amount of zone.
and to the fact Dotson and Dedric were mugged all night, so much so that a certain someone started a thread about it, but it's not like we were getting the whistles.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

K State played much more physical overall, yet we were the ones with foul trouble?
Deleted User 75

Blaming the refs is the ballad of the loser.

College refs suck. They especially suck in loud environments with pumped up crowds.

We benefit from crappy calls far more than we are hurt by them.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I didn't have a beef with the refs in terms of fairness.

But goddammit I hate the way college refs reward charges all the fucking time. It really should only be called when the offensive player is out of control, or the defender is there waiting and gets run over by a an offensive player who had room to evade or pull-up.

I think putting that fucking semi-circle in makes the refs look at the feet, and any time the defender is outside the circle and there's contact they call a charge...but that really shouldn't be the case. A block is a block no matter where it takes place, and it's not a foul every time there is contact.

Also, it's a desperation move as a defender, "all I have left to do is just fucking stand here as an impediment". It's a pussy thing to do when that's your defensive strategy going in.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

when refs get rattled and calls get crappy, the entire game suffers.

last night was heavy on the announcers saying things like, "another charge?" and "how is that a travel?"
Deleted User 75

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:45 am when refs get rattled and calls get crappy, the entire game suffers.

last night was heavy on the announcers saying things like, "another charge?" and "how is that a travel?"
That's because the announcers were Stan Van Gundy and Chauncey Billups....2 guys used to doing NBA games. Where charges are very rare and not rewarded when you're just camping out under the hoop.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

toward the end of the game there was a charge when the statie guy just sorta jumped over sideways in front of the guy with the ball (was it Grimes?)

there should be a rule that it's not a charge if the defender's feet are set at a 45 degree angle.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Not a fan of the crossover.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
Deleted User 75

You don't have to be standing still to draw a charge fwiw. You can be moving laterally....I'm not saying the play you mentioned wasn't a block (honestly I don't even know what play you're talking about)....but you don't have to be standing totally still to draw a charge.
Deleted User 75

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:00 am Not a fan of the crossover.
You didn't like the NBA announcers?

Loved them. Hard game for them to do...but they're so much better than nearly every college announcer. Can you imagine how good they'd be if they were more familiar with the players?

Better than Fran. Or Walton. Or Dukie V.

Bilas is 1 of the few college announcers I can tolerate consistently, and even he has his moments.

When I watch NBA games I'm rarely annoyed with the announcers.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:04 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:00 am Not a fan of the crossover.
Can you imagine how good they'd be if they were more familiar with the players?
There is my problem with the crossover. Neither nba guy knew much at all about either team last night.

Give me Franny over those two 100% of the time. Franny can add to the experience past just regurgitating a few things printed on a sheet of paper.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
BigTamale

Post by BigTamale »

When it's all said and done, I think this is a "Rebuilding Year" ...Although never intended to be one.
Whenever Seniors are replaced by Freshmen (especially at the Guard position), you are going to have inconsistency, sloppy/careless play on the road, and a lack of leadership.
Add to that 4 starters being replaced (although 3 at the beginning of the year), and 1 of those starters being a role player.
The transfers were supposed to pick up right after the departing players because they were 1 year into the system, but more and more it looks like they were a stop gap.... Add to that all of the injuries, and lack of personnel and these are some tough situations to overcome.

The good news is that if this exact team comes back next year (Sans Vick) and a healthy DOK, this could be one of Self's most dangerous teams.

But who knows, if the "Light" turns on for the Freshmen and our Senior leader can get his act together, I wouldn't want to play this team come March.

I really like this Abaji kid, he seems to be getting better by the hour.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 am
Numbers aside, he's a hard worker, good teammate, and good shooter. Stays out of off the court trouble.

I'd take Svi over Vick everyday of the week. That's why he's in the NBA and Vick never will be. He's just simply better.
NBA != college.
We've had this convo before.
And if I remember right, you got abused, per 'use.
Deleted User 75

pdub wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:14 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 am

NBA != college.
We've had this convo before.
And if I remember right, you got abused, per 'use.
So you'd take Vick over Svi?

Or are you arguing "nothing" for fun?

My guess is most on this board would take Svi and not give it a second thought.
Deleted User 75

Svi played on a balanced team. Vick does not. Things like that impact stats...no matter how much you want to play the player A B C game.

I'm with you Vick has not been that bad....but he's still not as good as Svi.