2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Kansas Basketball.
UnholyLivingDead

Re: 2023 Transfer Portal and NBA Declarations

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

InfiniteJ wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:13 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:45 am With this news though however. I think Zuby is gone.
I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that Ernest is the one who leaves...he goes from likely starter to coming off the bench for the next two years.
I disagree. I doubt Dickinson is here for two years. Ernest plays this year as Dickinson's backup, is the starter in 2024-25.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

So, theoretically….if a player skips college and goes pro….or leaves after a year….can they ever be eligible to play college ball after they play in the pros now? Most certainly not, right? Even though college is for pay now?

I mean….if I don’t go to school out of high school and do something in a field and then think ‘hey, let’s go get my masters in this or a related field to increase my ability for opportunity, etc’….why can’t anyone come back as a student, and then get NIL money or a ‘signing bonus’ or whatever is going on now and play basketball after five years playing professionally?

Would be as any business professional going for an MBA. They can get academic scholarships…so why not athletic ones now too?

I’m sure this crap has all been thought of and argued, but my little peanut brain is sometimes late to the party in processing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:02 pm So, theoretically….if a player skips college and goes pro….or leaves after a year….can they ever be eligible to play college ball after they play in the pros now? Most certainly not, right? Even though college is for pay now?

I mean….if I don’t go to school out of high school and do something in a field and then think ‘hey, let’s go get my masters in this or a related field to increase my ability for opportunity, etc’….why can’t anyone come back as a student, and then get NIL money or a ‘signing bonus’ or whatever is going on now and play basketball after five years playing professionally?

Would be as any business professional going for an MBA. They can get academic scholarships…so why not athletic ones now too?

I’m sure this crap has all been thought of and argued, but my little peanut brain is sometimes late to the party in processing.
So, you're saying we should look to see if Russell Westbrook is avails.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

No, he seems toxic to most teams he plays on….but yes in principle
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Has happened a few times in other sports. Minor league baseball guys who went to college to play football. Same sport I'm sure has different rules.

All I know is, if you play one second in college, your 5 year window (without any medical redshirts) starts that second. You can't play for a year, go away for 3 years and then come back and play 4 more years. You have 5 years to play, no matter how many years of that sport you actually play.

Not sure how it works for required religious institutions who do missions like BYU.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Why does it have to be a 5 year window anymore?
Seems arbitrary.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Too bad Bronny is done with college....maybe they could have been the first father-son to play at the same college at the same time. Speaking of....maybe we can get Bron for next season????? Of course, we'll need to Lakers to lose first.
surly

Post by surly »

pdub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:07 pm Why does it have to be a 5 year window anymore?
Seems arbitrary.
what i wrote earlier. stop the charade that this has anything to do with academics/students. in what endeavor other than college sports is being drafted by an employer considered a good thing?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

surly wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:18 pm
pdub wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:07 pm Why does it have to be a 5 year window anymore?
Seems arbitrary.
what i wrote earlier. stop the charade that this has anything to do with academics/students. in what endeavor other than college sports is being drafted by an employer considered a good thing?
and by extension, in what profession, other than sports, are young, qualified candidates not excited to work for a (mostly) unpaid internship at the absolute top companies/firms in their industry?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't disagree.
We're getting pretty close to that boiling point.
surly

Post by surly »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:21 pm
Seems arbitrary.
and by extension, in what profession, other than sports, are young, qualified candidates not excited to work for a (mostly) unpaid internship at the absolute top companies/firms in their industry?
"unpaid internship" - you lost me there.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

surly wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:23 pm

uh, really? i'm not gonna make some very low-hanging jokes here, but they are quite common. Might wanna run a quick google search on the topic.
surly

Post by surly »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:37 pm
surly wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:23 pm

uh, really? i'm not gonna make some very low-hanging jokes here, but they are quite common. Might wanna run a quick google search on the topic.
we're talking about mr. dickenson here who talking heads claim is making $2 million for playing at ku. we're not talking about some walk-on nerd who's actually going to class during the day.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 2:07 pm
ousdahl wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:39 pm Allergies, you guys.
that'd be a good qualifier in your initial statement.

no almonds either? Pistachios? peanuts (not a nut)? Walnuts? Pecans? man.....no trail mix?
It's weird. Some tree nuts are no problem, while some could kill me.

Almonds, pecans, pistachios, all fine. Walnuts fine, tho if I eat handful after handful of raw walnuts, it'll make my throat feel slightly funny.

Brazil nuts, hazel, cashews will immediately make my throat swell up. Macadamias too, I think, but maybe I just assumed that since others did, cuz I think I unknowingly had a Clif bar with macadamias in it and it didn't bother me.

with trail mix, I just gotta check the ingredients and see what's in it first.

my grandma used to always have a big bowl of mixed nuts sitting out, still in the shells. As a little kid I thought it was so fun to crack the nuts and munch. Every time I did tho, I would comment my throat felt funny, like it had something stuck in it. My mom initially thought I was choking on a nut or shell, til she realized it was an allergic reaction.

every now and then, certain tree fruits will do the same thing - avocado, banana, mango - but never really enough to be scary enough to not eat em.

tryna think.

What else have I never had?

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Mjl wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:51 am Would rather see Zuby redshirt.
Redshirts could be a thing of the past. In the transfer market era. Why sit when you could play elsewhere. Zuby redshirt would be the dream though. How much nil money can we give a redshirt? Lol

Make it worth it to stick here for 5 years
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, part of the transfer era seems to be, having some doods who know the system as a core to build transfers around.

Dajuan's a redshirt. Tho I guess one could argue that precedes the transfer era.

and Zuby may very well rather shirt than transfer. But, we're already down a scholly, so maybe that makes a shirt less likely. I dunno. It's not like the 12th and 13th guys deep play many minutes either way.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Anyone else chuckling because Timmy is here whining about free agency simply because no high level player wants to spend more than a lunch time in Mancrappy?

And save me the stats of your “star” players who will leave college with nothing more than a second weekend win to show for the time they spent bored out of their fucking minds for 6 months.
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:39 pm Allergies, you guys.
how do you know if you never tried it? :ugeek:
hoopla

Post by hoopla »

KUTradition wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 10:06 am
UnholyLivingDead wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:31 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:30 am
photoshopped the sunflower jersey? really?

i don’t think they’re as bad as some around here, but that woulda been my last choice
its the dizzying stripe down each side that makes them look dime-store-y. a few sunflowers peeking out behind the numbers is actually pretty cool, IMO.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

I think we could be selling Zuby a little short. A lot of bigs don't show well in their freshman year. It's good to be 3 deep at the 5 and though KJ did a fine job of filling that spot I don't consider that his natural spot. You could always be an injury away from needing another back up. If KJ got hurt last season we would have seen a lot more of Ernest and Zuby.

I guess I'm a perpetual optimist when looking at our young talent. Must be the crimson and blue glasses.