Are we better than last year?

Kansas Basketball.
AlOerter
Contributor

Are we better than last year?

Post by AlOerter »

With all the roster turnover it's hard to predict what this next season's Jayhawks will look like. All I can say is Hunter Dickinson better be worth what he cost us. I'm not talking about NIL $ but about promising young talent.
shindig

Re: Are we better than last year?

Post by shindig »

No. And I’m still of the opinion, if you enter the transfer portal, you are NOT welcome back. It’s a new era in college hoops, need to send a message to kids that it is not a two way door anymore. Testing NBA waters, fine, but if you decide to enter the portal, good luck and you are not coming back, unless you agree to be a walk on (no scholly).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Meh.
Indifference.
Kinda hope Hunter crashes and burns.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Loyalty to the school is a thing of the past. On the other hand, coaches aren't really loyal to players anymore either. It has become an arms race. This didn't happen overnight. It's been gradually happening over many years.

I still love my Jayhawks and will root for them every step of the way but it feels different somehow.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I'll wait until KU fills their remaining scholarships to pass judgement on what we have. Three spots to fill, still.
shindig

Post by shindig »

AlOerter wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:56 pm Loyalty to the school is a thing of the past. On the other hand, coaches aren't really loyal to players anymore either. It has become an arms race. This didn't happen overnight. It's been gradually happening over many years.

I still love my Jayhawks and will root for them every step of the way but it feels different somehow.
Some of these players, parents and “guardians” could learn a few things from guys like Wilson, Braun, Agbaji, Lightfoot, etc. Put in the time, effort and love of KU ball and good things will happen. If not, then move on, we don’t want you wearing our Jersey.
Last edited by shindig on Fri May 12, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

twocoach wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:59 pm I'll wait until KU fills their remaining scholarships to pass judgement on what we have. Three spots to fill, still.
Who's available that might help?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

AlOerter wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:09 pm
twocoach wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:59 pm I'll wait until KU fills their remaining scholarships to pass judgement on what we have. Three spots to fill, still.
Udeh
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

To answer the question - no, much worse
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

A concern I have is that last year should have taught us the value of program players. Remy worked because we had enough program players to hold the fort. Remy also gave terrific effort in the tournament with a cast of program guys including the MVP. Dick had himself a Wiggins run. The disinterest was obvious. He just wouldn't work to get his shot and take over the game. From seeing him as the next coming of Pistol Pete, he reminded me of Xavier Henry at the end. I hope this is the last year KU doesn't build its own team. Our chemistry will depend on the roll of the dice. But it kind of worked for K-State.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Right now it's up to Dajuan to make it work. Make no mistake about K-state last year. They had a good collection of transfers but the engine that made it go was Nowell.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

AlOerter wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:48 pm Right now it's up to Dajuan to make it work. Make no mistake about K-state last year. They had a good collection of transfers but the engine that made it go was Nowell.
That is a powerful truth. KJ and DH or bust.
jhawk23

Post by jhawk23 »

1. Not talking smack on HCBS...but...if Dick was "disinterested" where was the coaching whether it be him or Roberts...Hey DUDE...wake up and MOVE that is what offense has to have most of the time.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:49 pm
AlOerter wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 8:09 pm
Udeh
Yes...Udeh

or...

somebody who is in the draft currently but is going to withdraw his name and then hit the portal.
Just Ledoux it
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

It feels like the season will hinge a lot on whether or not KJ can develop some semblance of a jump shot.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

It also may depend on Elmarko Jackson, Chris Johnson, Marcus Adams Jr., Jamari McDowell growing up fast. Adams would appear to be the beneficiary of Mbako's choice. Obviously, not all will make an impact but it would be nice to have 2 or 3 be a factor.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sparko wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:30 pm A concern I have is that last year should have taught us the value of program players. Remy worked because we had enough program players to hold the fort. Remy also gave terrific effort in the tournament with a cast of program guys including the MVP. Dick had himself a Wiggins run. The disinterest was obvious. He just wouldn't work to get his shot and take over the game. From seeing him as the next coming of Pistol Pete, he reminded me of Xavier Henry at the end. I hope this is the last year KU doesn't build its own team. Our chemistry will depend on the roll of the dice. But it kind of worked for K-State.
This feels like retrofitting a narrative to me. Dick was inexperienced, not disinterested.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

twocoach wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:43 am
Sparko wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:30 pm A concern I have is that last year should have taught us the value of program players. Remy worked because we had enough program players to hold the fort. Remy also gave terrific effort in the tournament with a cast of program guys including the MVP. Dick had himself a Wiggins run. The disinterest was obvious. He just wouldn't work to get his shot and take over the game. From seeing him as the next coming of Pistol Pete, he reminded me of Xavier Henry at the end. I hope this is the last year KU doesn't build its own team. Our chemistry will depend on the roll of the dice. But it kind of worked for K-State.
This feels like retrofitting a narrative to me. Dick was inexperienced, not disinterested.
Inexperience is not an excuse. His last few games were uneven. He would just disappear.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

AlOerter wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:38 am It also may depend on Elmarko Jackson, Chris Johnson, Marcus Adams Jr., Jamari McDowell growing up fast. Adams would appear to be the beneficiary of Mbako's choice. Obviously, not all will make an impact but it would be nice to have 2 or 3 be a factor.
Just reading the fanboy tea leaves, the fact staff had so many incumbent players transfer but managed to hang onto/add to the incoming class of recruits, might suggest that staff thinks (at least one of) the freshies might be more likely to contribute than the doods we did have.

Or, maybe that’s just fanboy optimism, and loosing so many incumbent players was more so just poor GMing.
surly

Post by surly »

fans will adjust to the new normal. the nfl is america's most popular sport. they all play for a contract, not the colors. the portal recruiting season isn't closed. so, no one knows their roster just yet.