Israel/Palestine

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by Shirley »

It probably deserves its own thread, but the surprise Hamas/Palestinian multi-pronged attack on Israel this morning and the bloodbath that has resulted, is something to see. Some of the videos on twitter are so bloody and disturbing, I've chosen not to link them.

Considering the complexity of the attack, it's hard to believe Israeli intelligence was taken by surprise on such a massive scale.

It's hard not to think that Israel is going to respond forcefully, in a way we haven't previously seen.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in a statement following a meeting in Tel Aviv at IDF headquarters:

“Citizens of the State of Israel, we are in a state of war. Not an operation, not an escalation, but a war.”
We are at war and we will win."
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

50th anniversary of the Yom Kippur war. On a Sabbath. Not a coincidence.
Also not a coincidence that my non-Jewish co-worker was in Israel last week and had a female Jewish former Mossad agent as a personal guide - and her guide refused to take her to "normal" places that tourists visit - due to what she (the guide) deemed to them being unsafe. Despite other tourists visiting those sites without incident/s.

Have to assume the "world" media will soon be showing the Palestinian CIVILIAN casualties and say how barbaric the Israelis are.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

What's the over/under Leon will be making anti-Semitic posts any minute now, if he hasn't already?
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Leon being Elon? If so, his "mods" are allowing many people to break the rules of his site.
Of course hits/posts/views =$.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Shirley wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:48 am It probably deserves its own thread, but the surprise Hamas/Palestinian multi-pronged attack on Israel this morning and the bloodbath that has resulted, is something to see. Some of the videos on twitter are so bloody and disturbing, I've chosen not to link them.

Considering the complexity of the attack, it's hard to believe Israeli intelligence was taken by surprise on such a massive scale.

It's hard not to think that Israel is going to respond forcefully, in a way we haven't previously seen.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, in a statement following a meeting in Tel Aviv at IDF headquarters:

“Citizens of the State of Israel, we are in a state of war. Not an operation, not an escalation, but a war.”
There's a lot we need to know here. Including whether there is outside support for this aggression.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:29 am
Shirley wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:48 am It probably deserves its own thread, but the surprise Hamas/Palestinian multi-pronged attack on Israel this morning and the bloodbath that has resulted, is something to see. Some of the videos on twitter are so bloody and disturbing, I've chosen not to link them.

There's a lot we need to know here. Including whether there is outside support for this aggression.
Hard to imagine that something this complex and coordinated was planned without the assistance of a national intelligence agency.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Yet another example of a time trump was right about the corruption of his political opposition

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyGeU_tuYya ... FlYzFmZQ==
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:49 am Yet another example of a time trump was right about the corruption of his political opposition

https://www.instagram.com/p/CyGeU_tuYya ... FlYzFmZQ==
https://trackandfieldnews.com/article/t ... procedure/

ctrl+f "Long Jump"
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:29 am

Has to be. Palestinians aren't manufacturing these weapons in Gaza. And they aren't capable of coordinating something like this on their own.

Iran had every reason to do this. They won. Their goal is to stop the Israeli - Saudi normalization that appeared very close. They've probably succeeded.

The truly frightening possibility is that it goes beyond that - that they have nukes and will use the international backlash against what Israel is about to do as reason to use them.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Israel is in a horrible, horrible position.

First and foremost is the Israeli lives being affected right now. My friends have been in bunkers all day and are frightened. As a percentage of the population, it's equivalent already to 9/11.

Then there's the global political position. They're fucked no matter what they do.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

We may be seeing the beginnings of WWIII today.
“First of all, AI is two letters. It’s kind of a fancy thing.” - Scary Smart Brilliant VP Kamala Harris
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

JKLivin wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:18 pm We may be seeing the beginnings of WWIII today.
Seriously doubt it. Russia has its own problems in Ukraine. China doesn’t really give a flip about Israel - they’re indifferent at best. India doesn’t have much love lost in the region. Other than the US and some Western European countries, not much invested.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'm not necessarily thinking thisndystys ww3. But, the world is in a more unsettled place now then it has been in years and continues to drift into discontent. If it does ever end up in a major war again it will be hard to pinpoint a singular event that was the jump off point.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

mjl2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:01 pm Israel is in a horrible, horrible position.

First and foremost is the Israeli lives being affected right now. My friends have been in bunkers all day and are frightened. As a percentage of the population, it's equivalent already to 9/11.

Then there's the global political position. They're fucked no matter what they do.
I'm very sorry mjl2.

You're right, Israel is fucked, no matter what they do. Nonetheless, it would be hard to fault them for wanting to hit back hard, making it understood that there's a huge price to be paid. Never mind, that won't work, either.

We tend to consider our immigration problem intractable, and it is.

But...
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

mjl2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:01 pm Israel is in a horrible, horrible position.

Israel is always in a terrible position, unfortunately.

Hamas' brutality in this case, though, gives Israel more leeway, I think.

Curious what MbS is saying to Netanyahu behind the scenes.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:23 pm

^^^

Considering how far apart Iran and Saudi Arabia are and how transactional MBS seems, I'd bet the odds of a deal aren't zero.
Anand Giridharadas
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:23 pm

I wish I shared your optimism. I think this would have been true up to 20ish years ago, but I don't have much faith in the world to act sanely when the images start coming out of Gaza.

Plus, back to the first point of the human situation - there are going to be a lot of dead Palestinian kids that had no part in this.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

mjl2 wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 4:52 pm
I wish I shared your optimism. I think this would have been true up to 20ish years ago, but I don't have much faith in the world to act sanely when the images start coming out of Gaza.

Plus, back to the first point of the human situation - there are going to be a lot of dead Palestinian kids that had no part in this.
I'm not convinced that the response is going to be the standard/expected.

I'm not convinced that Palestinian children are the ones at risk this time.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So should the US invest billions into this conflict too? Or does that only apply to ukraine
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Settle down.