Ugh.
mjl2
Contributor

Re: Israel/Palestine

Post by mjl2 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:20 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:25 pm From the Israeli Defense Forces
Oct 18, 2023
WARNING: This video contains extremely graphic footage recovered from the Hamas invasion and massacre in southern Israel on October 7th, 2023.

GRAPHIC RAW FOOTAGE: Massacre Across Israel From the Eyes of Hamas
I mean, do we really need to see that?
Yes.

"Get it all on record now - get the films - get the witnesses - because somewhere down the road of history some bastard will get up and say that this never happened."
~Dwight Eisenhower

And he was right.
And Wannabe Goebbels was already trying to do that in this thread.
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Thing about all this, and this goes back to Gutter's post - I'm scared. My wife is scared.

She came to the US at 7 - her family immigrated due to horrendous antisemitism in the Soviet Union.

My father's side moved to the US from what is now Ukraine in the early 1900s to escape the pogroms.

My mother's side was unable to get out, nobody was taking Jews. They were mostly killed by the Nazis, she never had an extended family. Her parents met in a displaced person's camp.

Over the summer we were talking to a coworker of mine who is ethnically Jewish. Asked him about how he ended up in South Africa. His family was displaced because they were Jewish. My wife commented that she asked because almost every Jewish person you ask how they ended up where they were, it's because of oppression and persecution of their family because they were Jewish.

Israel is a guaranteed safe place. There's a reason over 90% of Jews consider themselves Zionists. They will always take us and never persecute us. No other country can guarantee that in perpetuity.

The Arab world is rising up against Israel, especially with the misinformation about the hospital episode. They outnumber us by a wide, wide margin. They're flooding social media with more misinformation.

The US and Biden and bipartisan support of Israel has been incredibly meaningful, and I am more proud of my country now than in any time the last several years. Although there's a part of me that's frightened that if Buttigieg and Klobuchar hadn't dropped out right before Super Tuesday we might have President Sanders right now, and given the DSA response to this, I am reaffirmed in thinking Israel must live, because America's support isn't a guarantee in the future.

Little things have been really meaningful. A non-Jew college friend reaching out to share his support. A couple of coworkers doing the same. My manager, who I have worked with for 8 years and never heard cuss, referred to the anti-Israel response as "bullshit".

And the vast vast majority of posters on
some stupid Kansas Basketball message board supporting, well, morality and truth, has also been meaningful.

Israel's national anthem is called "The Hope". Thanks to anyone who has provided that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

whoa, a vulnerable post by mjl.

even though he prob won't see this, lemme try anyway:

I'm sorry that you and your family are scared, and have had to go through what you and they have.

Antisemitism is awful.

I mean that.

Let's strive for peace on this planet while we can.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I have never understood the hatred of any persons based on things they cannot control; where they were born, who their parents were, what color their skin is, what gender they are. Those people had nothing to do with that. It's not something they chose; they came out of the womb as that. How can you hate someone for something they had no decision in? I don't get it.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

AFP, citing a European intelligence official, reports that total deaths at al-Ahli Hospital were in the 10-50 range.

https://twitter.com/LePoint/status/1714968013068230783
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Even John Brown violated the rules of war at Black Jack. He violated a flag of truce to take the senior commander hostage.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 8:42 am I have never understood the hatred of any persons based on things they cannot control; where they were born, who their parents were, what color their skin is, what gender they are. Those people had nothing to do with that. It's not something they chose; they came out of the womb as that. How can you hate someone for something they had no decision in? I don't get it.
I think a big part of it is the weakness of systems of rules/norms that are expressly based on particular religious/spiritual ideologies. There is a fundamental exploitability (by bad actors) to a system that, necessarily, is rooted in matters of faith.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Family member messaged me this morning. Just saw his message now.
"Thanks for checking on us. We’re all safe and out of any kind of terror, although we’re still in rocket’s range".

So..... Are they out of any kind of terror or are they in rocket's range?
I'm not convinced they are "out of any kind of terror".
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

damn
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

heard an interesting take over lunch that speaks to your experience, gutter (and i would presume mjl’s too)

(paraphrasing) Jews make up ~.2% of the global population, with roughly half of them living in Israel. that translates to the vast majority of Jews globally having, at best, a single degree of separation from tragedies of the hamas attack. the overwhelming majority of Jews know someone who was killed, or has friends or family members who know someone

this was mentioned, not to dismiss or diminish the individual tragedies of all of the innocents who’ve lost their lives recently, but to contextualize the unique trauma faced by Jews
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
mjl2
Contributor

Post by mjl2 »

Yeah, I mean, I spent the entire previous summer there. I know a lot of people there, and they all know people who were killed, with the exception of my ultra Orthodox cousin.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

My association with Jews has always been a positive experience. I believe that Jewish hatred exists partly because of jealousy as they are industrious and successful business people.
In ancient times they were forbidden to own land and so they honed their skills as money lenders which enhanced their ability to succeed in finance.
As the humanitarian aid comes in from Egypt (and weapons from Iran?) let’s not let the Hamasninks get their grubby hands on it.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

The USS Carney, a Navy destroyer in the Red Sea, on Thursday shot down multiple missiles launched by Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen that the Pentagon said were potentially headed toward targets in Israel.

per abc
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:27 pm The USS Carney, a Navy destroyer in the Red Sea, on Thursday shot down multiple missiles launched by Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen that the Pentagon said were potentially headed toward targets in Israel.

per abc
Sons a bitches, if it’s not Hamas or Hezbollah, now Israel’s got those Houthis to deal with.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

dolomite wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:00 pm
KUTradition wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:27 pm The USS Carney, a Navy destroyer in the Red Sea, on Thursday shot down multiple missiles launched by Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen that the Pentagon said were potentially headed toward targets in Israel.

per abc
Sons a bitches, if it’s not Hamas or Hezbollah, now Israel’s got those Houthis to deal with.
they’re all supported by the same regime, so in sense, this sort of provocation might have been expected (as were the recent skirmishes along Israel’s northern border)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sparko wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:05 am Even John Brown violated the rules of war at Black Jack. He violated a flag of truce to take the senior commander hostage.
I find comment this curious.

How does history remember John Brown?
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:04 pm
Sparko wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:05 am Even John Brown violated the rules of war at Black Jack. He violated a flag of truce to take the senior commander hostage.

All’s fair in love and war, if you’re not cheatin’ you ain’t tryin’.
Taylor Sheridan
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:04 pm

He is remembered as a patriot or terrorist.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that's a helluva tombstone.

"Here lies John Brown

Patriot or Terrorist"
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto