Uncle Joe

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Uncle Joe

Post by Shirley »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:59 am Fascist republican Cult leader Trump could not have phucqued up the response to the china fungus any worse than he did. one of the greatest clusterphucques of all time.
^^^

This guy gets it.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:59 am the world could not have phucqued up the response to the china fungus any worse than it did. one of the greatest clusterphucques of all time.
Thank donnie
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

He who sits in the Big Chair…right Mich?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

- Jan. 22 to CNBC: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

- Jan. 24 tweet: "China has been working very hard to contain the Coronavirus. The United States greatly appreciates their efforts and transparency. It will all work out well. In particular, on behalf of the American People, I want to thank President Xi!”

- Feb. 23 to reporters: "We're very much involved. We're very — very cognizant of everything going on. We have it very much under control in this country."

- Feb. 27 at the White House: “It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.”

- March 10 after meeting Republican senators: "This was unexpected. … And it hit the world. And we’re prepared, and we’re doing a great job with it. And it will go away. Just stay calm. It will go away.”

- March 13 to reporters: "Yeah, no, I don't take responsibility at all, because we were given a - a set of circumstances and we were given rules, regulations, and specifications from a different time."

- March 15 at a White House briefing: “This is a very contagious virus. It’s incredible. But it’s something that we have tremendous control over.”

- March 18 tweet: “I always treated the Chinese Virus very seriously, and have done a very good job from the beginning, including my very early decision to close the ‘borders’ from China - against the wishes of almost all.”

- April 3 at a White House briefing: “With the masks, it’s going to be really a voluntary thing. You can do it, you don’t have to do it. I’m choosing not to do it, but some people may want to do it and that’s OK ... As I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens ... I don’t see it for myself, I just don’t.”

- April 23 at a White House briefing: “I see the disinfectant, where it knocks it out in a minute, one minute, and is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets in the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it’d be interesting to check that.” Pressed later about the issue, Trump said he was not encouraging people to ingest disinfectant and portrayed his remarks as sarcasm.

- May 21 on a Ford plant visit: “I wore one (a mask) in the back area. I didn’t want to give the press the pleasure of seeing it.”

- July 12 before publicly donning a mask for the first time: "When you are in a hospital, especially in that particular setting when you are talking to a lot of soldiers, people that in some cases just got off the operating table, I think it’s a great thing to wear a mask."

- July 21 announcing a change of heart at a White House briefing: “We're asking everybody that when you are not able to socially distance, wear a mask, get a mask. Whether you like the mask or not, they have an impact, they'll have an effect and we need everything we can get... I will use it, gladly ... Anything that potentially can help ... is a good thing."

- Sept 29 at a presidential debate, after producing a mask from his pocket: "I wear masks when needed. When needed, I wear masks." Ridiculing Democratic rival Joe Biden for wearing them regularly, he said: "I don't wear masks like him. Every time you see him, he's got a mask. He could be speaking 200 feet away from them and he shows up with the biggest mask I've ever seen."

- Sept 29, when asked during the debate whether he was worried about the disease spreading at his rallies: "Well, so far we have had no problem whatsoever. It's outside - that's a big difference according to the experts. And we do them outside, we have tremendous crowds, as you see.... We had no negative, no negative effect. We've had no negative effect, and we've had, 35 40,000, people at some of these rallies."

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 ... two-years/

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/19/10985438 ... eath-tolls

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart ... finds/amp/

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news ... eath-rates
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Herman Cain remains elusive on the topic.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:59 am the world could not have phucqued up the response to the china fungus any worse than it did. one of the greatest clusterphucques of all time.
The response was not good but it could have been worse. A lot worse. That's a scary thought to me.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

That is seriously discounting the fact that the response would have been more proactive.

You know, like the leader of the free world not treating a highly transmissible disease as a personal affront to King Cheeto
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Trad, thanks for posting that reminder of how absolutely, totally incompetent Trump's response to the most severe public health crisis the American public had experienced in a century. Although I do think it might have triggered my PTSD...

Such a small, petty man.

Ex-White House Aide Reveals Why Trump Refused to Wear Mask During Covid

Donald Trump staunchly refused to wear a mask during the peak of the Covid-19 pandemic, and a big reason why is that he didn’t want to smudge his makeup, former White House aide Cassidy Hutchinson has revealed.

Hutchinson worked as the top assistant to Donald Trump’s chief of staff Mark Meadows, and she eventually became a star witness for the House January 6 investigative committee. She reveals Trump’s turning point on masks in her new book Enough, The Guardian reported Thursday.

Trump toured a Honeywell mask-making factory in May 2020, and he sparked criticism for not wearing a mask during the tour. He told reporters he chose not to after the Honeywell chief executive gave him the go-ahead.

But Hutchinson writes that Trump initially chose to wear a white mask, and then asked staffers what they thought.

“I slowly shook my head,” Hutchinson says. “The president pulled the mask off and asked why I thought he should not wear it.”

“I pointed at the straps of the N95 I was holding. When he looked at the straps of his mask, he saw they were covered in bronzer.”

Trump immediately decided to forgo the mask, according to Hutchinson, who wrote, “‘Why did no one else tell me that?” he snapped. “I’m not wearing this thing.”

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Overlander wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:43 pm That is seriously discounting the fact that the response would have been more proactive.

You know, like the leader of the free world not treating a highly transmissible disease as a personal affront to King Cheeto
the dismantling of the early warning surveillance system coupled with his behavior during the first half of 2020 put the US behind the 8 ball (and more so the maga following). we’ve all seen the power his words can wield is certain situations
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

We thought the previously reported third quarter 4.9% GDP was great.

The numbers have been revised upwards to 5.2% from July to September for President Biden's economy, according to the Department of Commerce!

And, despite all of Trump's empty campaign promises, he wasn't even able to hit 3%.
Anand Giridharadas
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

So, according to mich, Joe is the greatest president ever.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

If you're rooting against a recession and for a "soft landing", this is good news. Of course, nothing is certain, but if you're looking for signs that a soft-landing is more likely than a recession, that the Fed is less likely to increase rates again or hold them "higher for longer", &/or that the Fed might actually cut rates in the nearer future, this is a good sign.

Increased manufacturing implies there will be increased supplies of goods, and increased supplies of goods implies decreasing inflation.

Any reading of the index above 50 indicates improving conditions, while readings below 50 indicate a deteriorating economic climate.

Chicago PMI for November was the best report relative to expectations (55.8 vs 46.0) since September 2020 and the 5th best versus expectations since 1998.

Holy shit!!! Chicago #PMI went to the moon!

I don't know what the markets think of this over the short term, but THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!

What Is the Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI)?

The Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) is an index of the prevailing direction of economic trends in the manufacturing and service sectors. It consists of a diffusion index that summarizes whether market conditions are expanding, staying the same, or contracting as viewed by purchasing managers. The purpose of the PMI is to provide information about current and future business conditions to company decision-makers, analysts, and investors.

KEY TAKEAWAYS
The Purchasing Managers Index is a measure of the prevailing direction of economic trends in manufacturing.

The PMI is based on a monthly survey of supply chain managers across 19 industries, covering both upstream and downstream activity.

The value and movements in the PMI and its components can provide useful insight to business decision makers, market analysts, and investors, and is a leading indicator of overall economic activity in the U.S.
Anand Giridharadas
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:18 am So, according to mich, Joe is the greatest president ever.
Moral of the story is? Less than 52% of voters elected a guy "way past retirement age" who possibly (probably?) has daily bouts where he doesn't remember he's the President and we have ourselves the "greatest President ever".
GBA Baby! GBA! USA! USA! My man Joey B bringing MAGA to fruition!

your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:01 am If you're rooting against a recession and for a "soft landing", this is good news. Of course, nothing is certain, but if you're looking for signs that a soft-landing is more likely than a recession, that the Fed is less likely to increase rates again or hold them "higher for longer", &/or that the Fed might actually cut rates in the nearer future, this is a good sign.

Increased manufacturing implies there will be increased supplies of goods, and increased supplies of goods implies decreasing inflation.

Any reading of the index above 50 indicates improving conditions, while readings below 50 indicate a deteriorating economic climate.

Chicago PMI for November was the best report relative to expectations (55.8 vs 46.0) since September 2020 and the 5th best versus expectations since 1998.

Holy shit!!! Chicago #PMI went to the moon!

I don't know what the markets think of this over the short term, but THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!

What Is the Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI)?

The Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) is an index of the prevailing direction of economic trends in the manufacturing and service sectors. It consists of a diffusion index that summarizes whether market conditions are expanding, staying the same, or contracting as viewed by purchasing managers. The purpose of the PMI is to provide information about current and future business conditions to company decision-makers, analysts, and investors.

KEY TAKEAWAYS
The Purchasing Managers Index is a measure of the prevailing direction of economic trends in manufacturing.

The PMI is based on a monthly survey of supply chain managers across 19 industries, covering both upstream and downstream activity.

The value and movements in the PMI and its components can provide useful insight to business decision makers, market analysts, and investors, and is a leading indicator of overall economic activity in the U.S.
Jamie "I'm a More Negative Person Than Gutter" Dimon called.
Told me he read all the recent HORRAY economy related posts on this thread and then he laughed. Then he cried. Then he laughed again. Then he hung up.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/29/investin ... index.html
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I saw that interview yesterday. I'm not sure it would change anything, but it was before today's PMI and the very positive PCE earlier today.

Not saying he's wrong, and he certainly knows better than me, and as we all know, anything could happen.

He's also the guy who, in June of 2022, predicted:

Jamie Dimon is no meteorologist, but the JPMorgan Chase CEO is predicting an economic “hurricane” caused by the war in Ukraine, rising inflation pressures and interest rate hikes from the Federal Reserve.

“Right now it’s kind of sunny, things are doing fine. Everyone thinks the Fed can handle this,” Dimon said at a Bernstein conference. “That hurricane is right out there down the road coming our way.”

[...]
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Jamie Dimon seems to be rooting for his predictions rather than adjusting his thesis. He is wrong very often. Ukraine support serms to have buoyed the economy since 90-percent of the money goes back to the U. S. Places like Ohio, Texas and Pennsylvania in particular.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Jamie Dimon SOMEWHAT reminds me of something that I remember vividly.
There was a teller at Arlington Race Track that would give me "tips" on horses.
I was foolish enough to believe since he was "in the game" every day - he knew more than I did.
He would give me a verbal tip on a winning horse, I would give him a monetary tip back.
He would give me a verbal tip on a horse that didn't win, oh well. It sucked to be me. Didn't suck to be him.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I am not reading this thread, but I love that Y-axis
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:35 pm I am not reading this thread, but I love that Y-axis
^^^

A few days ago I was planning to post to the "Weather" thread in the "Off Topic" forum that it:

Looks like DrPepper is going to go through some things", in anticipation of the impending Snow Storm Lake Effect heading your way. But, I decided to check the forecast for Buffalo first, and they predicted only 1" of snowfall in your area, so I didn't. How much snowfall did you get? (Inquiring minds want to know!") And, good to see you on the message board.
Anand Giridharadas
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I have not touched a snow shovel yet. I am still hoping to mow the lawn one more time this season. I was raking leaves this morning in the 45F weather. I did, however, see some snow-covered cars at work a few days ago when it was colder. Lake Effect is like that.... bands of snow. One neighborhood gets nothing and two blocks over it is a whiteout.