Finding New Shit on TV

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: Finding New Shit on TV

Post by twocoach »

Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:54 pm I watched Leave The World Behind last night.

Amazing.
Just watched it yesterday, Honestly, I didn't really like it at all. Just felt like they missed a ton of opportunities for it to be a lot better and there were so many holes in the story that it was frustrating for me to watch.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I wrote something about this a couple weeks ago but I can't find it now.

Hated it. Especially the stupid deer that "knew" what was happening when nobody else in the world did.
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I had a different take I guess. I think the lack of going deep into the situations that came up was by design. Hear me out. I took this movie to be a different version of the events in the movie Crash.

One thing that impressed me was that your perception of the events and plot lines was self determined.

Talking to a few other people who had seen the movie, it is apparent that how they perceived the actions and posturing by the characters was determined right at the beginning:

Who was in the right, Roberts' character or Ali's?

My wife, who is inherently suspicious, sided with Julia Roberts' character. I sided with Ali, as he clearly owned the home, was being challenged about how could he possibly own a home such as this one, and yet was being graciously accommodating. The wife and I came away with completely different views of the actions of all involved.

Ali was clearly hiding something, and that ill-at-ease vibe made him untrustworthy.
Roberts was clearly racist in her assessments, as was Ali's daughter. Was Ali's daughters behavior driven by Roberts' unabashed distrust of them? Depends on how you took your stance at the beginning.

An answer, as I viewed it, to the deer (and behavior of other animals, and humans) acting the way that they were is simply a mammals ability to quickly sense changes in their environment and to react before humans would have the ability to pick up.

The scenes where the deer are acting out of their norm can be explained (IMO) as reacting to those changes. In the environment of sonic pulses, for example, the deer would migrate away from those unnatural sounds. The cabin in the woods was down in a fairly deep valley, where the deer could block out some of those sounds (that humans would have a difficult time perceiving at low levels) with the terrain. When the sonic pulse sounds became intense enough, the humans could be paralyzed by them, and possibly at that level would not be as disruptive to the deer.

Much discussion about the ending. My idea is that the girl was the only survivor of the group.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:47 pm I wrote something about this a couple weeks ago but I can't find it now.

Hated it. Especially the stupid deer that "knew" what was happening when nobody else in the world did.
And the way they show they know something is up is to gather in large groups and just stare at the humans? So dumb. And don't get me started on the teeth nonsense.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:42 pm I had a different take I guess. I think the lack of going deep into the situations that came up was by design. Hear me out. I took this movie to be a different version of the events in the movie Crash.

One thing that impressed me was that your perception of the events and plot lines was self determined.

Talking to a few other people who had seen the movie, it is apparent that how they perceived the actions and posturing by the characters was determined right at the beginning:

My wife, who is inherently suspicious, sided with Julia Roberts' character. I sided with Ali, as he clearly owned the home, was being challenged about how could he possibly own a home such as this one, and yet was being graciously accommodating. The wife and I came away with completely different views of the actions of all involved.

Ali was clearly hiding something, and that ill-at-ease vibe made him untrustworthy.
Roberts was clearly racist in her assessments, as was Ali's daughter. Was Ali's daughters behavior driven by Roberts' unabashed distrust of them? Depends on how you took your stance at the beginning.

An answer, as I viewed it, to the deer (and behavior of other animals, and humans) acting the way that they were is simply a mammals ability to quickly sense changes in their environment and to react before humans would have the ability to pick up.

The scenes where the deer are acting out of their norm can be explained (IMO) as reacting to those changes. In the environment of sonic pulses, for example, the deer would migrate away from those unnatural sounds. The cabin in the woods was down in a fairly deep valley, where the deer could block out some of those sounds (that humans would have a difficult time perceiving at low levels) with the terrain. When the sonic pulse sounds became intense enough, the humans could be paralyzed by them, and possibly at that level would not be as disruptive to the deer.

Much discussion about the ending. My idea is that the girl was the only survivor of the group.
Because she walked into the doomsday bunker that probably cost a half million dollars to build yet had zero security and was sitting completely unlocked.

Sometimes movie producers/directors are just too artsy fartsy and need everyone to look at things through a conceptual artsy fartsy lens. "Don't take anything I show literally" is just a fancy way to say "I wasn't able to pull off what I envisioned".

I liked the concept of the movie. I just didn't like that actual execution.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:50 pm
Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:42 pm I had a different take I guess. I think the lack of going deep into the situations that came up was by design. Hear me out. I took this movie to be a different version of the events in the movie Crash.

Because she walked into the doomsday bunker that probably cost a half million dollars to build yet had zero security and was sitting completely unlocked.

Sometimes movie producers/directors are just too artsy fartsy and need everyone to look at things through a conceptual artsy fartsy lens. "Don't take anything I show literally" is just a fancy way to say "I wasn't able to pull off what I envisioned".

I liked the concept of the movie. I just didn't like that actual execution.
What about the home gave you the impression that it was a "doomsday bunker"?

*Edit*. I see, you mean the house at the end. I got that it had already been ransacked, or fled from in a hurry.
Last edited by Overlander on Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

To me, it was the part about having a doomsday bunker in the basement.
Defense. Rebounds.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Expensive new builds often times have a bunker or safe room in them.

It doesn't mean that you are in a proximity to use them when SHTF.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:01 pm Expensive new builds often times have a bunker or safe room in them.

If they had the ability to generate their own power and whatever signal they had to receive the emergency broadcast messages dosplayed on rhe monitor in the bunker then there should have been a passcode or scanner to access said bunker at all times. Zero chance you stumble upon that just sitting unlocked.

It felt like they had reached the end of their filming calendar and just rushed through it to get done. When movies are pressing me to "imagine this as my reality" then things like that break me out of that.

Besides, Kevin Bacon's character would have already been in that thing if he was really the tin foil hat guy he was supposed to be and the door was unlocked.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:12 pm
Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 3:01 pm Expensive new builds often times have a bunker or safe room in them.

If they had the ability to generate their own power and whatever signal they had to receive the emergency broadcast messages dosplayed on rhe monitor in the bunker then there should have been a passcode or scanner to access said bunker at all times. Zero chance you stumble upon that just sitting unlocked.

It felt like they had reached the end of their filming calendar and just rushed through it to get done. When movies are pressing me to "imagine this as my reality" then things like that break me out of that.

Besides, Kevin Bacon's character would have already been in that thing if he was really the tin foil hat guy he was supposed to be and the door was unlocked.
You win.
Sorry you found nothing of value in it.
I did.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I did like the interaction between Julia Roberts and the home owner.
Defense. Rebounds.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

You gotta love Reacher season 2 on Paramount Plus. He’s even bigger this season 6’5 and 250 or so. He could whip Tom Cruise with one arm tied behind his back.
Also Fargo (FX) new season is a fun show to watch.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:51 pm I did like the interaction between Julia Roberts and the home owner.
I thought she was a bitch.

But, I must admit that I don't think I actually ever finished watching the show, so my opinion is only based on the first hour roughly.
Just Ledoux it
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:24 pm
Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:54 pm I watched Leave The World Behind last night.

Amazing.
Just watched it yesterday, Honestly, I didn't really like it at all. Just felt like they missed a ton of opportunities for it to be a lot better and there were so many holes in the story that it was frustrating for me to watch.
Same here😑
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:51 pm I did like the interaction between Julia Roberts and the home owner.
Yeah, it was interesting for sure. I could definitely see being resistant to the person entering the home, not because they were black but because I would be very hesitant to let anyone enter a house I was renting and my wife would be full on against it as a 5'2" female. There's a whole host of things that would have happened very differently for me in that entire situation.

But I give the movie some credit. It gets you thinking about such things. Always nice to have a unique "what-if" scenario to daydream about to try to plan out what you think you would be best to do.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:08 pm
I thought she was a bitch.

But, I must admit that I don't think I actually ever finished watching the show, so my opinion is only based on the first hour roughly.
She was but honestly, we all have some scale of bitch/asshole to us. It's just a matter of how much and what triggers it I suppose.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Best opening sequence:

Rat Patrol or Hawaii 5-0

I vote Rat Patrol. Nothing is cooler than jumping sand dunes in a jeep while shooting 50 calibers at the krouts.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'll be very happy when that goddam John Travolta Disco commercial dies. Disco is dead and needs to stay dead.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:28 am I'll be very happy when that goddam John Travolta Disco commercial dies. Disco is dead and needs to stay dead.
I'll be happy when a law is passed to ban the use of doorbells in commercials.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think perhaps there is more pressing litigation needed.
Just Ledoux it