F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: F the NCAA

Post by pdub »

No doubt twocoach.
I have no realistic expectations of this being what it used to be.
Off my lawn and i'm fine with that.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The courts said we can't allow players the option to play in a professional league or play in a collegiate league with rules and stipulations for participation?

So high school leagues are illegal?
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:55 am The courts said we can't allow players the option to play in a professional league or play in a collegiate league with rules and stipulations for participation?

So high school leagues are illegal?
I think the most important thing about where things sit is that the courts have signaled that schools (individually and in association with each other) can be liable to athletes for restricting athletes' ability to seek compensation for NIL. So it's not that courts have said what schools can and can't do, but that schools cannot act without exposure.

The legal basis for this is in, among other things, antitrust laws and regulations.

This is why the NCAA is seeking what is effectively the same sort of antitrust exemption that MLB enjoys.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

nobody ever has to sign am NDA or a no compete clause again
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:42 pm nobody ever has to sign am NDA or a no compete clause again
That's the direction the wind is blowing, yes. I don't necessarily agree with it, personally.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Why do you need to be associated with a school now though? And I’m not joking. Why can’t the Flint Tropics try their luck in the Big10?

Anti-trust anyone?

Edit: haha I did t read Fish’s post above or I would have splintered off of that.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

TDub wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:14 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:55 am
TDub wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:09 am

none of that = wants to strip all the prospects out of college basketball.

You're argument is so extreme.

So let's say top 50 are gone, for ease of argument 2 top prospects off each top 25 team.

So, Hunter and Elmarko are gone.....twocoach and nobody else is gonna watch now. ?? serious?
The whole discussion is absurd because it would never happen. So how exactly do you see that working? Is the ncaa going to say "anyone ranked in the Top 100 is ineligible to play for an ncaa program? Good luck with that. See you in court.

I get his point but it's a purely hypothetical rant due solely to the fact that he hates the current model and in no way is a solution that should be treated with any sort of seriousness as it is not based in reality at all.

But if you're bored and want to keep arguing about what would happen if this impossible scenario magically happened then go for it.
what....the fuck? Thats your understanding of the argument? My god.
LOL

He's all over the place.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Love it.
The less like college football the better.
We could call it something like the Nationwide Football Legion.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... conference
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

pdub wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:10 am Love it.
The less like college football the better.
We could call it something like the Nationwide Football Legion.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... conference
At this point, I love it too.
God bless/damn the NCAA for being an archaic institution.
I (and many other people) saw this coming 10+ years ago. I have to imagine the brain trust at/in the NCAA did too. Cleary they couldn't figure out a way to prevent it. Or maybe they didn't want to figure a way to prevent? Either way, one thing I can laugh about is that the NCAA is not nearly as powerful as they once thought they were. Speaking of "lack of institutional control", seems the kettle is speaking back to the pot. F the NCAA!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NCAA blew it.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

at this point I might as well rope the wind and I know exactly the responses/reactions ill get from each but...

over the last couple weeks I've had several conversations with some old friends, several I haven't talked to in a while. All of them are what I woukd qualify as sports fanatics, not all of the same team or even sport, but, very very into sports. Sports has a lot to do with why we were/are friends. I was sort of amazed that throughout the conversations the universal, to a person, thought was that these fanatics were all more or less apathetic about their teams, and Sports in general. These are people who used to live and die sports, a loss ruined their week etc. All of them felt, while they still cared, increasing apathy for all of it. As pretty much each one said, nobody cares anymore, nothing matters but money. Nobody is loyal, why should we care. General consensus is that college sports doesn't exist anymore, only rhe Mascots. Pro sports salaries have gotten out of control and, for the most part, the players are sort of whiny babies and the coaches aren't any better.

I know some of this is just age, we aren't 20 year old students anymore, we have kids and jobs and careers and things to worry about more than Game day. I think some level of apathy towards sports as anything more than entertainment as we age is normal. But, a big part of me thinks the sports world has overplayed its hand and will, in the next decade or so, reap what is has sown.

We shall see.
Just Ledoux it
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

TDub wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:50 pm at this point I might as well rope the wind and I know exactly the responses/reactions ill get from each but...

over the last couple weeks I've had several conversations with some old friends, several I haven't talked to in a while. All of them are what I woukd qualify as sports fanatics, not all of the same team or even sport, but, very very into sports. Sports has a lot to do with why we were/are friends. I was sort of amazed that throughout the conversations the universal, to a person, thought was that these fanatics were all more or less apathetic about their teams, and Sports in general. These are people who used to live and die sports, a loss ruined their week etc. All of them felt, while they still cared, increasing apathy for all of it. As pretty much each one said, nobody cares anymore, nothing matters but money. Nobody is loyal, why should we care. General consensus is that college sports doesn't exist anymore, only rhe Mascots. Pro sports salaries have gotten out of control and, for the most part, the players are sort of whiny babies and the coaches aren't any better.

I know some of this is just age, we aren't 20 year old students anymore, we have kids and jobs and careers and things to worry about more than Game day. I think some level of apathy towards sports as anything more than entertainment as we age is normal. But, a big part of me thinks the sports world has overplayed its hand and will, in the next decade or so, reap what is has sown.

We shall see.
I agree with you about more things to worry about as you get older.
There are also more "distractions" in the world in 2024 compared to when I was in my 20s.
That being said, seems college football interest hasn't really suffered. At least not this season in relation to how many people watched games on TV.

https://athlonsports.com/college-footba ... -bowl-game

https://www.on3.com/os/news/college-foo ... %20Alabama.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:50 pm at this point I might as well rope the wind and I know exactly the responses/reactions ill get from each but...

We shall see.
I just have a very hard time with the “salaries are out of control” thing where the only apparent alternative is…the owners’ estates compounding more quickly.

If I could wave a magic wand and change one thing about pro and major-college sports, it would be to simply end all taxpayer-burdening subsidies to owners. ESPECIALLY as to stadiums etc.

Make the owners pay the freight to own and operate and commercialize the highly lucrative businesses they choose to buy.

What’s causing salaries to spiral in a way you characterize as “out of control” is that these businesses generate enormous sums of money that must go somewhere. In my opinion, it makes no sense for taxpayers to pay an enormous chunk of the expenses that must be incurred in connection with generating the revenue.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think that response falls within the "nothing matters but the money" portion of my post.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if it's "nothing matters but the money" that's the problem, I'm afraid that problem is hardly limited to sports.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:40 am I think that response falls within the "nothing matters but the money" portion of my post.
They’re businesses. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect 30 business owners to get together and say “let’s donate all operating profit above X% to charity.”

But, I also don’t think they should be winning a rigged game by enjoying uncapped profits (wind-aided by tax breaks) by way of taxpayer-funded assets.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

And I would add - at SOME point the apathy you identify is going to manifest in taxpayers finally saying, “you know what, the team can leave. Go ahead.”

And then we’ll be in for another seismic reordering of things, along the lines of what happened when the TV rights bubble popped a few years ago.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The universities and colleges bring a nice financial windfall for the places they reside. Pro teams should put more back in the cities who largely financed their arenas. Especially the NFL.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:50 am
TDub wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:40 am I think that response falls within the "nothing matters but the money" portion of my post.
They’re businesses. I don’t think it’s realistic to expect 30 business owners to get together and say “let’s donate all operating profit above X% to charity.”

But, I also don’t think they should be winning a rigged game by enjoying uncapped profits (wind-aided by tax breaks) by way of taxpayer-funded assets.
Thanks, Lawyers.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:50 am

this is the part of my post that refers to predictable responses
Just Ledoux it