serve and protect

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: serve and protect

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:56 am there ya go again, deliberately misrepresenting because you’re incapable

can’t believe i’m actually humoring you, but…

define “kids”

i put at least some blame on anyone who did, and most certainly those who still do, support hamas…that would certainly include 15, 16, 17 year old “kids”, and probably those a bit younger

at that age i knew right from wrong, i knew the kkk was a piece of shit organization, and i knew what terrorism was

i blame trump supporters for the level of power/influence he has, and any damage he does to our country

i blame anyone who deep down knows better, but chooses to do nothing for the sake of “power”
I promise I don’t mean to misrepresent.

But fwiw, I was 17 when W announced we were invading Iraq. I was skeptical of the move at the time, even critical, tho I also recall voting for him in our mock elections in high school social studies class. I guess that’s to say, I hope you don’t blame my 17 year old self for the Iraq war.

Bear in mind tho, you and I both grew up in decidedly better situation than pretty much any kid in Gaza.

One big reason I quit much of my social media feed, and quit the Israel/Palestine thread (besides just being annoying) is, I was so tempted to oblige mjl’s call to “document everything,” and even post it in that thread.

Of course, the shit I saw documented didn’t support mjl’s views. It still haunts me.

There was one little kid, maybe 7 years old or so, digging thru rubble while holding an arm. Like a severed arm, Saving Private Ryan style, but instead of Spielberg it was real life. And a fucking 7 year old kid! It was apparently his brother’s arm, and he looked determined to find the rest of his bro in that rubble, as if he was gonna put him back together.

And that’s maybe not even the most fucked up shit I saw.

There was another girl, again maybe 7 or so, who was bleeding from the eyes. Like both eyes and both eyeballs and both entire eye sockets full of blood. Apparently it’s a symptom of crush trauma. Israeli forces rolled a tank over her house, over and over and over again, with her entire family trapped inside. They rolled until they no longer heard screams. She was the only one who was recovered alive, but who knows if she made it.

And even THAT might not be the most fucked up shit I saw!

The most fucked up goes to the Israeli soldiers and the shit they’d shamelessly post on social media. They’d see a Gazan family, shoot a bazooka at them, and then cheer and high 5 each other. They’re posting mocking reels like, “look at me with water to drink and food to eat!” They’re posting themselves going thru Gaza residences, waving around Palestinian women’s undergarments like some sorta checkered flag. They’ll congratulate each other for shooting down civilians like they might as well be at the satellite shack playing big buck hunter.

That’s all to say, they’re documenting their war crimes in real time!

I just couldn’t take it any more.

And, I’m also very cognizant of the fact that maybe that shit isn’t even real. Maybe it’s from some other conflict yet, or maybe it’s just AI generated clips from a Russian troll farm.

Point is, I’m pretty sure there really is more than enough evidence to indicate entire generations of Palestinians have grown up in apartheid conditions. Gaza has been operated like an open air prison, for fuck’s sake! They don’t even control their own food or water or energy or anything!

When the Nazis did this to the Jewish people, it was overwhelmingly recognized as not OK.

So how do we shrug it off when Israelis are doing it to Palestinians?

Or would you like to articulate why some 15yo growing up in an open air prison should recognize the folks who confined him and his fam and whole community there and has systemically deprived and brutalized all of them, are actually the good guys?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But let’s assume that’s all actually just bad guy propaganda.

Let’s instead go with what even mjl not only didn’t deny, but even tried to normalize.

He admitted Israel was bombing hospitals and schools and mosques and entire residential neighborhoods.

And tho that’s a crime against humanity when anyone else does it, it’s A-OK when Israel does, cuz they drop flyers on the area like “heads up we’re gonna bomb you!”

Did anything like that ever happen to you when you were growing up, trad?

If it did, do you think maybe it coulda influenced your perception of things just a tad?

Or would your 15yo self still be able to see, “oh the ones dropping flyers are actually the good guys!”
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

:lol:

take a break, guy

go fishin
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

He is just a single guy, on a Friday night, fighting the good fight.

Over and over and over and over.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

What Hamas did on Oct 7 was repulsive. How Israel has responded has been repulsive. There are no good guys in this conflict, just innocent civilians caught in between. It fucking sucks.

The US is more likely to get the Israeli government to stop behaving like terrorists than getting the terrorist organization Hamas from behaving like terrorists.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You’re getting warmer, twocoach.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

One key factor.
Hamas terrorism involves the purposeful killing of innocent civilians for the purpose of killing of innocent civilians.
Israeli "terrorism" has the consequences of the killing of innocent civilians for the purpose of killing terrorists.

Back to serve and protect....

Kudos to the Chicago Police who were out in abundance in my neighborhood last night.
Of course the piece of shit rodents were out and about scurrying around - but kept their unlawful activities to a minimum due to the police presence.
I decided to go out for a short walk and thank the officers for serving and protecting.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

To get this thread back on the actual topic that it was intended to discuss (wince we have a separate thread to discuss the Israel/Palestine conflict):

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/12/us/win-r ... index.html

It is so sad to see cases like this where someone is having a mental health issue and cops show up looking for a chance to escalate to violence. I truly believe that some officers join the force so that they can have a chance to hurt people without repercussions.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:17 am It is so sad to see cases like this where someone is having a mental health issue and cops show up looking for a chance to escalate to violence. I truly believe that some officers join the force so that they can have a chance to hurt people without repercussions.
Those are some pretty big accusations to make.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DeletedUser wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:37 am
twocoach wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:17 am It is so sad to see cases like this where someone is having a mental health issue and cops show up looking for a chance to escalate to violence. I truly believe that some officers join the force so that they can have a chance to hurt people without repercussions.
Those are some pretty big accusations to make.
So be it. It is how I feel and it is based on a disturbing amount of cases, statements and actions. Of you feel differently, that's your feeling.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

LOL. OK.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I mean, for how many other professions do they have to war body cams cuz they get caught lying so much.

But, I know I know, the body cams are just as much to protect the cops too. So then never turn them off. And never harass or threaten bystanders filming either.

Remember when they initially reported George Floyd died of a “medical episode?”
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

the wife and i watch a bit of body cam and dash cam footage (youtube and A&E), and comment regularly on how cops seem to escalate situations rather than the opposite

a bunch of officers yelling with firearms drawn, and too often officers giving conflicting commands

obviously these are exceptional instances (otherwise they wouldn’t be televised), but it seems to happen often enough to be an issue
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:17 am To get this thread back on the actual topic that it was intended to discuss (wince we have a separate thread to discuss the Israel/Palestine conflict):

It is so sad to see cases like this where someone is having a mental health issue and cops show up looking for a chance to escalate to violence. I truly believe that some officers join the force so that they can have a chance to hurt people without repercussions.
This was a large component from whence the "Defund the Police" movement/slur sprung.

That, instead of having police always be the first responders to what are often mental health or social, not criminal situations, funds should go toward having social workers etc. available to respond, with police backup if indicated, rather than always sending guys with guns who often seem to only inflame and exacerbate the situation.

Makes sense to me, but once the right-wing propaganda machine got ahold of it, diverting money from law enforcement to pay for it, it all went to shit.

#sameasiteverwas
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Shirley wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:09 am
twocoach wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:17 am To get this thread back on the actual topic that it was intended to discuss (wince we have a separate thread to discuss the Israel/Palestine conflict):

This was a large component from whence the "Defund the Police" movement/slur sprung.

That, instead of having police always be the first responders to what are often mental health or social, not criminal situations, funds should go toward having social workers etc. available to respond, with police backup if indicated, rather than always sending guys with guns who often seem to only inflame and exacerbate the situation.

Makes sense to me, but once the right-wing propaganda machine got ahold of it, diverting money from law enforcement to pay for it, it all went to shit.

#sameasiteverwas
My wife is a social worker.

A girl I went to high school was a social worker. Went to a house without law enforcement to do a wellness check and got stabbed to death by the person she was there to help.

In my opinion, it has to be both. Cops and mental health professionals working together. You can't send unarmed people (usually women) to deal with crazy and dangerous people.

Nobody will sign up for that job. Especially not for what they pay social workers.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

that's interesting. for entertainment you watch bodycam footage. hmm.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:21 am that's interesting. for entertainment you watch bodycam footage. hmm.
For entertainment, you watch Fox News.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:06 am the wife and i watch a bit of body cam and dash cam footage (youtube and A&E), and comment regularly on how cops seem to escalate situations rather than the opposite

a bunch of officers yelling with firearms drawn, and too often officers giving conflicting commands

obviously these are exceptional instances (otherwise they wouldn’t be televised), but it seems to happen often enough to be an issue
What’s that saying like “in America surprised civilians are expected to remain calm with a gun in their face, but trained cops are allowed to panic”
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:21 am that's interesting. for entertainment you watch bodycam footage. hmm.
this’ll blow your mind…

we’ll also watch funny animal compilations and mountain bike crashes, among any number of other things depending on how the mood strikes

hmmmm, indeed
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

KUTradition wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 5:19 pm
this’ll blow your mind…

we’ll also watch funny animal compilations and mountain bike crashes, among any number of other things depending on how the mood strikes

hmmmm, indeed
My wife and I watch a lot of these same things.

I also watch body cam and real world police / offender interactions. I see so many lapses in control, custody and security protocols that it sometimes nauseates me.

Also, unnecessary escalations get worse every single day.

BTW, Instructor Zero videos are how I calm these feelings down!

https://youtu.be/KL5IIvVWzXI?si=vFKq_FeGKyuLxSzR