Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: 2024

Post by ousdahl »

so as we all know, Trump is fucked up.

But, man. Imagine enjoying the “biggest annual profits in a decade,” and “producing more oil than any country ever has,” and still calling it a “wet blanket.”

Oh, and here’s your friendly reminder that Biden’s “green energy” bill actually provided pretty yuge concessions to big oil. More public lands drilling yaaay. Wolf in sheep’s clothing. You think big oil got those big profits and big production with some environmental type in charge?

And if you really wanna go down the rabbit hole - you know, in another installment of, “every war is pretty much the same” - shall we discuss that headline that quietly came and went like, “Biden administration meeting with Israeli officials to discuss oil and gas opportunities off Gaza coast”
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

in today’s episode of missing the forest for the trees…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

KUTradition wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:41 pm in today’s episode of missing the forest for the trees…
🤣🤣🤣
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I did say Trump was fucked. Right?

The shit about trying to make a deal with oil bros for his personal gain is like totally fucked, and so on point for that doosher.

What more did you want me to take away? That Biden is some champion of green energy (even tho he’s not even according to that very article)?

Or that Biden is at least not Trump?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 6:05 pm

Or that Biden is at least not Trump?
Good enough for me.

End this thread.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

What a waste of time.

How naive do you have to be to think anything in American politics gets done without compromise, without making concessions?

But, but, but, I want it all, I want it now, and I want it delivered!

Making the perfect the enemy of the possible in American politics might be emotionally satisfying, but good luck if you actually want to get anything done.

“Politics is the art of the possible, the attainable — the art of the next best.”
Otto von Bismarck

I don't know how anyone who has been paying attention for any length of time can realistically believe otherwise.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Shirley wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 pm What a waste of time.

How naive do you have to be to think anything in American politics gets done without compromise, without making concessions?

Making the perfect the enemy of the possible in American politics might be emotionally satisfying, but good luck if you actually want to get anything done.

“Politics is the art of the possible, the attainable — the art of the next best.”
Otto von Bismarck

I don't know how anyone who has been paying attention for any length of time can realistically believe otherwise.
I don't hear a lot of policy ideas from some people. People are saying they like to bitch. In diners.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Sparko wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:04 pm
Shirley wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:50 pm What a waste of time.

Otto von Bismarck

I don't hear a lot of policy ideas from some people. People are saying they like to bitch. In diners.
"policy ideas"?

"policy ideas"?

Hard to believe that one of the two major political parties was so bereft of "policy ideas", they didn't even bother to pretend to have a platform to run on in 2016, and instead, became a personality cult. Even harder to believe, their cult members didn't, and still don't, seem to mind.

(I'd name the major political party I'm referring to, but I'm too nice...)
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

People are also saying that republicans are bereft of redeeming qualities. And are fascist fantacist foolish freaks.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

twocoach wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:26 am
TDub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:04 pm 2coach continually misses the point. Of course we don't want trump....thats not what this was/is about....
I know, it's about whining about how you don't like your choices. Feel free to rewrite our entire voting system. I don't have any great ideas on how to fix the system without breaking it more and I haven'ytheard any other ones either.

I am probably just at the point where I spend my day around people who bitch and complain too much so I have reached my limit. Everyone hates everything around here. Bitch about NIL, bitch about conferences, bitch about voting, bitch about everything. Some people just like to bitch and complain and it's annoying to be around after a while.
More trash.
If you complain one single time about KUBB at all about anything I’ll just blame it on you and call you whiny.

As far as what am I going to do about it?
I have suggestions on how we would change things but that would never get passed through anyway at this state.
So my method, as I’ve said before, is a write in vote, and hope enough people do the same to the point where there are more write ins than votes for either candidate.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 11:01 pm
TDub wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:04 pm 2coach continually misses the point. Of course we don't want trump....thats not what this was/is about....
I know, it's about whining about how you don't like your choices. Feel free to rewrite our entire voting system. I don't have any great ideas on how to fix the system without breaking it more and I haven'ytheard any other ones either.

I am probably just at the point where I spend my day around people who bitch and complain too much so I have reached my limit. Everyone hates everything around here. Bitch about NIL, bitch about conferences, bitch about voting, bitch about everything. Some people just like to bitch and complain and it's annoying to be around after a while.
More trash.
If you complain one single time about KUBB at all about anything I’ll just blame it on you and call you whiny.

I have suggestions on how we would change things but that would never get passed through anyway at this state.
So my method, as I’ve said before, is a write in vote, and hope enough people do the same to the point where there are more write ins than votes for either candidate.
If one NFL stadium’s worth of people in five states take this approach this year, my daughters might have to register their periods with the government.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:14 am

More trash.

If one NFL stadium’s worth of people in five states take this approach this year, my daughters might have to register their periods with the government.
This has to be wrong fish, because I heard there are no choices.
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

He is a stinky and vile man trying to take people to Hell on his way out.
Last edited by Sparko on Sun May 12, 2024 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 11:39 am

More trash.

more proof that there is no choice.

One "option" is unelecteable piece of trash. That leaves us with 1 pre approved person as our "choices". Awesome.

No matter how you present it, the choice is nothing but a word for you to feel better about yourself for not checking the box of a lunatic. That doesn't make it a "choice". Real choices would involve actual candidates and having to think about what you arr selecting, bot blindly checking the box of the guy that wears the correct color ribbon.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:41 pm

One "option" is unelecteable piece of trash. That leaves us with 1 pre approved person as our "choices". Awesome.

No matter how you present it, the choice is nothing but a word for you to feel better about yourself for not checking the box of a lunatic. That doesn't make it a "choice". Real choices would involve actual candidates and having to think about what you arr selecting, bot blindly checking the box of the guy that wears the correct color ribbon.
No disagreement in principle. I don’t, however, think a protest write-in is the correct move at this time. I think there is value in each and every person who considers Trump to be an unelectable piece of trash casting their vote in the one way that is a clear rebuke of that piece of trash.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Gosh. Not checking the box for a lunatic is such a sacrifice. Jeebus.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sparko wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:46 pm Gosh. Not checking the box for a lunatic is such a sacrifice. Jeebus.
you're missing the point again, it's not necessarily about this vote
Just Ledoux it
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:26 am I am probably just at the point where I spend my day around people who bitch and complain too much so I have reached my limit. Everyone hates everything around here. Bitch about NIL, bitch about conferences, bitch about voting, bitch about everything. Some people just like to bitch and complain and it's annoying to be around after a while.
Isn't your post kind of bitching and complaining?
Last edited by DeletedUser on Sun May 12, 2024 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:42 pm
TDub wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:41 pm

No disagreement in principle. I don’t, however, think a protest write-in is the correct move at this time. I think there is value in each and every person who considers Trump to be an unelectable piece of trash casting their vote in the one way that is a clear rebuke of that piece of trash.
didn't say it was but its the heart of the argument that's silly to me.

Not saying you, but many responses in this thread speaking of how we do have choices and what are we going to do about it..

- of course you have a choice, but you have to vote for Biden or you're enabling a traitor

-you have the primaries to exercise your choices.....as long as your choice is to vote for Biden!

- ok, I'm gonna vote for a third party. Oh no, you can't do that, that's the same as voting for Trump!

- ok I'm gonna write in a candidate. Oh no! you can't do that either.

Ok so how exactly is it that we can "do something about it" if the only things we theoretically can do (even if these theoretical options are also null and void because the lobby purse strings pull the numbers for candidacy) we actually cant do. It's all bullshit, burn it to the ground. We have no choice and no say, regardless of the lip service paid to the constituency.

bread and circus.....with overpriced, mass manufactured welfare bread and a circus we can't afford even if we had any desire to be "entertained".

broken. all of it. I don't have answers, but I do know the last decade has made people stupider, less amiable and turned once tolerable lack of choices into gangland conflict. I've never liked people, I especially don't like people now. I do not support what either party is doing *yes the bloods are currently significantly worse in most regards. But, both sides need to calm down on control. The fight for control of citizens every move is....unacceptable.
Just Ledoux it