Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by PhDhawk »

Self is replaceable.

But let's not pretend like that's always an easy thing for a school to get right. Look at UCLA, look at Indiana, UK got it wrong with Gillespie, UNC got it wrong with Doherty.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:59 pm Well, whether it's this offseason or a different one, there's a reckoning coming for KU fans.
That's a pretty vague prediction. And the same could probably be said for every school. At some point.
msu has a reckoning coming. duke. unc. villanova. gonzaga. khintuckey. and so on. and so on.

If we can survive HCRW leaving, we can survive HCBS leaving.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I mean we survived during HCTO's tenure, but I'm not looking forward to sub .500 seasons very much.

Surviving is a pretty fucking low criteria.

I think if you have a HoF coach who's 9 years away from the standard retirement age, I think you'd want to avoid having to make that hiring decision if you don't have to. Because whether you want to admit it or not, that's an easy thing to get wrong.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

If we found ourselves with a coaching vacancy this April 2019, our candidate pool need not be any deeper than:
in order of the phone calls from our awesome search committee

the guy at Villanova
the guy at the boston Celtics
the guy at virginia
the guy at Michigan
the guy at texas tech

we need not look no further. I'm good with that.

But of course I would prefer that our current HOF coach stay put.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:59 pm Self is replaceable.

But let's not pretend like that's always an easy thing for a school to get right. Look at UCLA, look at Indiana, UK got it wrong with Gillespie, UNC got it wrong with Doherty.
Yes. Following, for example, Roy with Bill is a crazy-ass outlier. The much easier examples to find are steps backwards like these ones (and others - Guthridge at UNC; the guys that followed Lute at UA; etc.).
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Yikes. This thread has taken a rather grim turn.
Holidaysmore - 2005
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:25 pm If we found ourselves with a coaching vacancy this April 2019, our candidate pool need not be any deeper than:
in order of the phone calls from our awesome search committee

the guy at Villanova
the guy at the boston Celtics
the guy at virginia
the guy at Michigan
the guy at texas tech

we need not look no further. I'm good with that.

But of course I would prefer that our current HOF coach stay put.
I'm not sure anyone on your list other than Beard (that's the name of "the guy" at TTU) would be very likely to leave their situation for KU.

And let's also keep in mind that good coaches don't always have success at Blue Blood institutions. Eddie Sutton is one hell of a good basketball coach, but things didn't exactly work out for him at UK.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also, Beilein, that's the guy at Michigan is 66 and Jay Wright, that's the guy at Villanova, is older than Self, was born in PA, played in college in PA, has been a HC on Long Island and in Philly.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Also, "we need not look no further" would mean we needed to keep looking, grammatically.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think it's also hard to know exactly what someone else would think of this job right now...there would sure seem to be a lot not to like.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:48 pm I think it's also hard to know exactly what someone else would think of this job right now...there would sure seem to be a lot not to like.
Right, and that also makes me think (hope) Bill won't leave if something is coming down around the corner.

Last time we had a coach duck out right before NCAA sanctions, we had to hire an assistant coach from UNC. Hubert Davis, anyone?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:48 pm Also, "we need not look no further" would mean we needed to keep looking, grammatically.
Mich was dropped on his head as a kid.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Would Beard really move from one Big 12 school to another? Seems sketchy
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the funny thing, is that there is already a Chris Beard at KU
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PortlandHawk wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:04 pm Would Beard really move from one Big 12 school to another? Seems sketchy
Sketchy?

The answer, in a vacuum, is of course he would.

It gets a bit more difficult when what was probably always his dream job (before KU was a realistic dream) seems likely to be open soon, and it would come with a lot less pressure - and possibly a lot fewer problems - than the KU job.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

It would be Beard or bust
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:15 pm
PortlandHawk wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:04 pm Would Beard really move from one Big 12 school to another? Seems sketchy
Sketchy?

The answer, in a vacuum, is of course he would.

It gets a bit more difficult when what was probably always his dream job (before KU was a realistic dream) seems likely to be open soon, and it would come with a lot less pressure - and possibly a lot fewer problems - than the KU job.
Not that it is shady, but rather that I don’t see it *looking* good for him. I like him so I’d be fine with it but the perception would be weird. Similar to players transferring to a school in the same conference.
Deleted User 167

Post by Deleted User 167 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:48 pm Also, "we need not look no further" would mean we needed to keep looking, grammatically.
Good lord. I hate it when people try to make themselves look smart by correcting minor grammatical errors by others.

Also, you're wrong. The "not" was unnecessary but it does not change its meaning.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

cjbooth38 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 pm
Good lord. I hate it when people try to make themselves look smart by correcting minor grammatical errors by others.

Also, you're wrong. The "not" was unnecessary but it does not change its meaning.
Father forgive him for he need not not know what he has done
BigTamale

Post by BigTamale »

cjbooth38 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:24 pm

A poster on .COM once corrected me because I capitalized the "A" in adidas.

This stemmed from the release of the 2014 basketball uni's... (the ones with the Blue Shoulder for home games and red for road). I told him they were bad and wouldn't last very long. He said that he had friends in the graphic design/clothing design industry that were experts who said those jerseys looked nice. I said who cares, he corrected my grammar.

True story.