I believe her

Ugh.
Deleted User 89

Re: I believe her

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:03 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:43 pm I didnt really have a strong feeling either way in regards to confirmation going into this hearing.

As it stands after, my opinion is that he acted exactly, under pressure, the way a guilty person acts.

And please, save me the whiney ass excuse that he was badgered into that behavior.
For me, it's not whether he acted guilty or not. It's that a Supreme Court Justice is supposed to be an unbiased, level headed purveyor of the law even while under extreme pressure as they listen to the most challenging, important and difficult cases in our nation's court system. He failed that test "bigly".
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^*
and yet pubs are still trying to ram him through

hopefully Flake, Murkowski, and ? (name escapes me), have the spine and integrity to what’s right

i’m not holding my breath
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:38 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:10 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:59 pm Either way, we shouldn't confirm this dude. Maybe it's unfair (maybe not), but he played his hand wrong and said way too much stuff in his hearing. Just find someone else. Pushing him thru just to avoid possible implications from the upcoming election cycle is just as bad as delaying it to possibly benefit from the upcoming elections.
He’s going to be confirmed. The temper tantrum didn’t work; the smoke and mirrors failed; the character assassination withered in the light of the truth. All it really managed to accomplish was to galvanize Republican voters. Game over.
This has to be among the most frightening part of it all for me.

GOP has weaponized scotus. They courted how many votes from folks who recognized Trump was deplorable, but held their nose and voted anyway cuz they thought they’re gonna overturn Roe v. Wade.
You know the dems want to weaponize the scotus too. It's a race between the 2 parties and both sides appear willing to do ANYTHING to see their side "win".

It's disgusting. Politics in this country is disgusting currently. Across the board.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:38 am

He’s going to be confirmed. The temper tantrum didn’t work; the smoke and mirrors failed; the character assassination withered in the light of the truth. All it really managed to accomplish was to galvanize Republican voters. Game over.

GOP has weaponized scotus. They courted how many votes from folks who recognized Trump was deplorable, but held their nose and voted anyway cuz they thought they’re gonna overturn Roe v. Wade.
You know the dems want to weaponize the scotus too. It's a race between the 2 parties and both sides appear willing to do ANYTHING to see their side "win".

It's disgusting. Politics in this country is disgusting currently. Across the board.
what's the dem equivalent? genuinely asking.

is there some settled case/s from decades ago that liberals are desperate to overturn - so much so that it's still a yuge factor in how liberals vote today?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

The Dem equivalent is using the courts as legislators of last resort in the first place.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and they're just as hysterical about that as the GOP is about Roe?

and again, genuinely asking: how so?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:32 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:52 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:42 pm They are repulsed by ending unwanted pregnancies...yet have no problem casting children into holding cells.
Don’t their parents put them there by insisting on coming here illegally - usually multiple times? I’d say it’s more shameful that you care more about cheap produce and manual labor than the well-being of those same children.
Where in the fuck did you get that conclusion?
It's a very logical conclusion. Why else would we allow a tidal wave of people to flood into this country every day who have no plans to assimilate, speak the language, become citizens, or pay taxes? Well, that and the hopes that the Dems can figure out how to get votes out of them somehow.

Side note: Do you speak like you type - i.e. is every other word an f-bomb or some reference to fecal matter?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that's fucked up!

(and still don't make Kav any more qualified)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sooo the Senate is voting today?

has anyone asked: do they even have enough votes?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:23 am and they're just as hysterical about that as the GOP is about Roe?

Roe created a constitutional right -- on par with free speech, free press, freedom of religion, etc. -- to abortion.

Whatever you think about the practice of abortion, this is a distortion of the Court's function, a distortion of the the very notion of basic civil liberties, and the distorter of our politics for four-and-a-half decades.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

story on npr this morning suggesting that kavanaugh was contacting potential witnesses prior to fbi questioning

witness tampering?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Uh, Merrick Garland was considered to be a pretty moderate nominee.

The Dems arent trying to "win". They are trying to keep the Supreme Court from having an unfit member for the next 25 years. Move past your trivial "right now" mind. This has impacts that will be felt for generations. It is beyond important.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:42 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:23 am and they're just as hysterical about that as the GOP is about Roe?

Roe created a constitutional right -- on par with free speech, free press, freedom of religion, etc. -- to abortion.

Whatever you think about the practice of abortion, this is a distortion of the Court's function, a distortion of the the very notion of basic civil liberties, and the distorter of our politics for four-and-a-half decades.
at first I was like, okay that seems fair maybe you have a point.

but at second glance...

SCOTUS didn't create a constitutional right to abortion. They interpreted the 14th amendment in a way that concluded a right to privacy extends to a women's decision to have an abortion.

and despite being settled law for four-and-a-half decades, the hope of eroding that right to privacy is still high on the list of GOP battle cries.
Deleted User 75

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:53 am story on npr this morning suggesting that kavanaugh was contacting potential witnesses prior to fbi questioning

witness tampering?
You must have skipped over the post a few above....or don't want to talk about that?....

seems like you just did a #bothsidesdoit
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:03 am

The Dems arent trying to "win". They are trying to keep the Supreme Court from having an unfit member for the next 25 years. Move past your trivial "right now" mind. This has impacts that will be felt for generations. It is beyond important.
I dunno if they're trying to "win." pretty sure they're just trying to not "loose."
Deleted User 75

My trivial right now mind.

LOL
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 am

but at second glance...

SCOTUS didn't create a constitutional right to abortion. They interpreted the 14th amendment in a way that concluded a right to privacy extends to a women's decision to have an abortion.

and despite being settled law for four-and-a-half decades, the hope of eroding that right to privacy is still high on the list of GOP battle cries.
OK.

The Supreme Court's interpretation created a de facto constitutional right that has, over time (and by the Court's own admission in Planned Parnethood v. Casey) become the foundational right of the current political era and the Court's measure of its own legitimacy.
Deleted User 75

Twocoach: maybe you missed it, but I've said repeatedly that we shouldn't confirm Kavanaugh because I'm not thinking "right now". I think there's plenty of other people who are equally as qualified without the extra drama.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:06 am

My trivial right now mind.

LOL
Part of all of our minds concerns itself with trial "right now" things. I just meant you have to avoid using that part of your brain to evaluate this and instead use the part of your brain that addresses more long term, conceptual thought.

I worded that poorly, my bad. I wish I didnt have to do this site over my phone; it's easier to get my thoughts from brain to forum using a keyboard.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:11 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:04 am

but at second glance...

OK.

The Supreme Court's interpretation created a de facto constitutional right that has, over time (and by the Court's own admission in Planned Parnethood v. Casey) become the foundational right of the current political era and the Court's measure of its own legitimacy.
And? We should all have the fundamental right to be our own medical advocate and to choose the medical course that works best for us. The law should have no more right to force a woman to carry a child to term any more than they should be able to force someone to stay on life support.

Both scenarios are intensely private and difficult and both result in the end of a life. Neither should involve the government at all.