Defense

Kansas Basketball.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Defense

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

What this team will do - Board, defend, insane depth and be able to have a height advantage over most any time.

What this team won't do - Shoot, handle the ball, have the typical Bill Self ideal rotation of 7 or 8 guys.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think we often overrate our depth at this point in the off-season.

I think we'll see a ton of minutes for Dotson, Ochai, Garrett, Moss, SDS, Dok, and DMac. Other than those 7 I don't see anyone averaging more than 10 mpg, barring injuries of course.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I'd drop Moss down to a tier below the other 6 with Wilson, Enaruna and Lightfoot that will get more than garbage minutes based on health, matchups and "they had it rolling so I left them in more" scenarios.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:33 am I think we often overrate our depth at this point in the off-season.

I think we'll see a ton of minutes for Dotson, Ochai, Garrett, Moss, SDS, Dok, and DMac. Other than those 7 I don't see anyone averaging more than 10 mpg, barring injuries of course.
While I think people are going a bit over the top on Wilson (seriously - every 30-50ish recruit should wait until this time to year to sign, you get slobbered over!), I don't think he'd come here if he wasn't in line for meaningful minutes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think there's an 8th person in there who averages around 10-11 MPG.
Whether it's Wilson or Lightfoot or Enaruna or Braun ( in that order I guess ), I dunno.

Give me Dotson at 34 MPG.
Ochai at 27.
Garrett at 25.
Dok at 24.
SDS at 24.
Moss at 23.
DMac at 14.
Aaaand......just guessing here....Wilson at 11.
Lightfoot at 7.
Enaruna at 6.
Braun at 5.
McBride at 4.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I'd guess lower for moss and maybe enaruna and higher for Wilson and braun.

I think brain will be better than people expect. Just not sure if it will be this year or next.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Braun will be good.
But higher ranked guys/guards like Elijah Johnson, Brannen Greene and Lagerald Vick came into stacked classes and saw fewer than 7 mpg their frosh season.
One of those four guys I mentioned I think finds double digit minutes in the rotation - I just think Braun is the least likely of them.

I could see Moss getting fewer minutes though and Wilson taking them - he's just a proven guy and is strong in the department where we seem most weak.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Minutes will go to whoever buys in to the little things, and doesnt mind getting dirty without necessarily getting a payday on the other end. Things brannen greene was terrible at but someone like Tyrel Reed was good at. Could be any of those guys really. We shall see
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:06 am I think Braun will be good.
But higher ranked guys/guards like Elijah Johnson, Brannen Greene and Lagerald Vick came into stacked classes and saw fewer than 7 mpg their frosh season.
One of those four guys I mentioned I think finds double digit minutes in the rotation - I just think Braun is the least likely of them.

I could see Moss getting fewer minutes though and Wilson taking them - he's just a proven guy and is strong in the department where we seem most weak.
I think people are high on Braun because Braun was getting talked up as an option when we didnt have any shooters. Now that we do, I think his hype can settle back down to a mor realistic level. I think he will be better than a Chris Teahan level walk on but below the rest of the scholarship players not named McBride.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I also expect McBride to be pretty damn good.
He was lighting up good squads for 40 points.
But in time.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:27 am
pdub wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:06 am I think Braun will be good.

I think people are high on Braun because Braun was getting talked up as an option when we didnt have any shooters. Now that we do, I think his hype can settle back down to a mor realistic level. I think he will be better than a Chris Teahan level walk on but below the rest of the scholarship players not named McBride.
I was leading the Brain bandwagon and said he’ll play more like a Top 50 recruit than top 100. That was kind of evidenced in this week’s scrimmage. I still think that and he’ll be more ready to play than Enaruna and McBride. Similar impact to Wilson.

All that said, minute predictions for Braun are obviously different now than they were even a week or so ago before Moss and Wilson.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:16 am Minutes will go to whoever buys in to the little things, and doesnt mind getting dirty without necessarily getting a payday on the other end. Things brannen greene was terrible at but someone like Tyrel Reed was good at. Could be any of those guys really. We shall see
TDub brings up a good point. Any headcases with this new bunch? Doesn't seem like it to me. I'm ready for a headcase/drama free season.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Who knows.
I wouldn't have guessed Brannen Greene would turn out the way he did when he first committed.
Nor Vick when he committed.

Conner? We saw that one coming.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Greene and Vick make me very suspicious of guys with obvious NBA talent but very low rankings.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

OCHAI!!!!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 am
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 am OK, fine, we should be really good on defense.

Let's talk rebounds.
Getting Silvio back was huge for that area. Monster on the glass.
Silvio's rebounding percentages are 23/25/24 (ORB%/DRB%/TRP%)...which are crazy good, Particularly Offensive, the NBA average PER TEAM is something like 27...which means SDS is almost as good on his own as an entire team. As a reference for total rebounding percentage, SDS is keeping pace with Andre Drummond, who's the NBA's all time leader (since the stat was kept).

Dok has gotten criticized for not getting enough boards, but I think that's more a function of foul trouble limiting minutes, because his percentages are also very good, especially on the defensive end 12/22/17. As a reference, his TRP% would put him ahead of David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Buck Williams on the NBA's all time TRP% list. And Dedric was known as a great rebounder and his numbers were very similar to Dok's at 11/23/17

McCormack also a good rebounder at 13/18/16
Lightfoot was 10/17/14
Och was 4/15/10
Garrett was 4/12/8
Dotson was 2/10/6

And we're loosing these two guys
Vick 2/11/7
Grimes 2/8/5
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:33 am I think we often overrate our depth at this point in the off-season.

Depth itself is probably overrated at least on an individual game basis. You only play 5 at a time and self only likes to go about 8 deep.

The past few seasons have shown that depth is important for injuries, suspensions, parents getting loans, players fucking in AFH, players kicking cars, players getting in car accidents, players being ineligible, etc.

I get a kick out of people thinking Self's gonna experiment with all these different lineups and game to game use different guys depending on matchups or hot hands, etc.. He's gonna go with 8 or 9 guys, and may go back and forth some between 2 in 3 out, and 1 in 4 out....but that's about it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Depth itself is probably overrated at least on an individual game basis. You only play 5 at a time and self only likes to go about 8 deep.

The past few seasons have shown that depth is important for injuries, suspensions, parents getting loans, players fucking in AFH, players kicking cars, players getting in car accidents, players being ineligible, etc.

I get a kick out of people thinking Self's gonna experiment with all these different lineups and game to game use different guys depending on matchups or hot hands, etc.. He's gonna go with 8 or 9 guys, and may go back and forth some between 2 in 3 out, and 1 in 4 out....but that's about it.
Agree with all of this.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:31 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:43 am
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 am OK, fine, we should be really good on defense.

Let's talk rebounds.
Getting Silvio back was huge for that area. Monster on the glass.
Silvio's rebounding percentages are 23/25/24 (ORB%/DRB%/TRP%)...which are crazy good, Particularly Offensive, the NBA average PER TEAM is something like 27...which means SDS is almost as good on his own as an entire team. As a reference for total rebounding percentage, SDS is keeping pace with Andre Drummond, who's the NBA's all time leader (since the stat was kept).

Dok has gotten criticized for not getting enough boards, but I think that's more a function of foul trouble limiting minutes, because his percentages are also very good, especially on the defensive end 12/22/17. As a reference, his TRP% would put him ahead of David Robinson, Hakeem Olajuwon, and Buck Williams on the NBA's all time TRP% list. And Dedric was known as a great rebounder and his numbers were very similar to Dok's at 11/23/17

McCormack also a good rebounder at 13/18/16
Lightfoot was 10/17/14
Och was 4/15/10
Garrett was 4/12/8
Dotson was 2/10/6

And we're loosing these two guys
Vick 2/11/7
Grimes 2/8/5
Dok seems pretty active defensively helping on drives and going for blocks too which I think gets him out position on rebounds. Being that big it seems like it would be difficult to go from blocking a shot to boxing out before the ball comes off the rim.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

I think some people are underestimating McCormack's contribution next year. I expect a good battle between him and SDS for minutes. If we end up playing at team like 2018 Villanova, we could benefit from having them both on the court while Dok sits. Let's just try to keep our guys uninjured.