Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:43 am McBride is all like wtf?
Battle for the backup to a PG who will play 35 mpg.
Yeah. If he came next year, I'd think nothing of it. Coming now, it's not a good sign for mcbride.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 276

Post by Deleted User 276 »

If Mcbride didn't want to play with other good players and earn his minutes then he came to the wrong school. If they both stick it out they'll both play big minutes eventually. But not this year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Is averaging 29 points for a 4A ( out of 7 classifications ) school and winning Arkansas player of the year better than a player averaging 11 points per game for a class 5 player ( out of 5 ) from MIZZOU?

Guess we'll find out.

Other Arkansas players of the year:
Malik Monk
Bobby Portis
Archie Goodwin

Of note, looks like Harris's teammate, Isaiah Mosley ( Missouri State ), won MrShowMeState of the year this season.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:37 am If Mcbride didn't want to play with other good players and earn his minutes then he came to the wrong school. If they both stick it out they'll both play big minutes eventually. But not this year.
This doesn't even need to be said.

My point was, this kid was set to be a 2020 pickup, since he was headed to prep school. The fact that we seemed to go after him so hard and wanted him as a 2019 recruit suggests that McBride hasn't looked that good this summer, especially given the timing of this. (It could be that he just looks great and we want to lock him down and get him here...I hope that's what it is)

From a strategic standpoint, if you're going to have two 4 year players at the PG position, it makes more sense to have them staggered in their class, so maybe one of them is going to take a shirt, or maybe one of them will be really successful off the ball at the 2.

It's different than having 3 multi-year wings in the same class (Braun, Wilson, Enaruna), because you can play more than one of them at a time, and it's more likely that one or more of them will leave early.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Unless there's a plan to push one of them to the other guard spot, I agree, this doesn't look good at first glance for McBride.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:57 am Unless there's a plan to push one of them to the other guard spot, I agree, this doesn't look good at first glance for McBride.
I mean, Self always says he wants to play multiple PGs. And that's what he did at Illinois, that's more or less what he did in '08 and '10 and '17.

But even when we play 2 PGs, there's always one who is the primary ball handler (Robinson, Taylor, Mason) and the other is off the ball (Chalmers, Collins, Graham). So...it's not like we take advantage of what having 2 PGs provides...in practice it just means we have a short SG.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think the advantage is in advancing the ball ( and distribution ).
When Vonte and Mason were playing ( could well apply this to Chalmers/Robinson/and the better player than Robinson, Collins ), in a fast break, it didn't matter who brought the ball up.
You find a 'PG' who shoots well off the ball, in college I don't think it makes as much a difference in their position/height ( don't tell Cascadia that! ).
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I'd like to see them do that more. Self says "whoever gets it goes" which I'd love, but the SG always becomes SO deferential that the advantage is lost.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 am So, McBride isn't very good?
Welp.

1. I don't know why you don't keep the open scholarship for a December surprise if McBride is ready to play now.

2. On the other hand, as I posted earlier, I like getting players in sooner than later and finding out what you've got with them.

No redshirts for either one of them. The best one stays and the other transfers. I'd be pretty surprised if Harris isn't the better one. Late-riser and better competition.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

So it sounds like Snacks was the lead recruiter for Harris and Wilson. My question is what in the hell is the rest of the staff doing? Has anyone, other than Snacks landed a guy?
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We had to put KT on ice.
BLACKMILD33

Post by BLACKMILD33 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:09 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:15 am So, McBride isn't very good?
Welp.

1. I don't know why you don't keep the open scholarship for a December surprise if McBride is ready to play now.

2. On the other hand, as I posted earlier, I like getting players in sooner than later and finding out what you've got with them.

No redshirts for either one of them. The best one stays and the other transfers. I'd be pretty surprised if Harris isn't the better one. Late-riser and better competition.
no one is goning to transfers
ROCKCHALKJAYHAWK
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

you heard it hair first
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Has their ever ben a yeer withouts a transfer?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

So..this class is now ranked in the top15. Not bad considering we had two guys outside the top 100 when summer started.

I like the composition of it too, everyone's a multi-year guy, but they're still good. We got the top ranked players from Utah, Misery, and Arkansas, the 4th ranked KS recruit, and the 8th best player outta TX.

Maybe being the best players in their immediate area means they'll come in with some confidence.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Sunrise players don't count as KS recruits.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

then we got the top player in 4 states.

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

this commitment has absolutely nothing to do with mcbride. for those saying its a bad sign for mcbride. its not. we had an open scholly. self found a prospect he likes. we added depth. both are multi year college players. they can compete against eachother in practice. one could redshirt maybe? hopefully. and both could play together the rest of their careers. dotson is gonna play 35 minutes a game so neither should be "needed" for this season. but both can learn develop and next year and the following years we should have damn good college players
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

This more about the 20-21 season than next season...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:53 am Anyone have the balls/gall to tell Snacks there is a difference between the words to, two, and too?
I suppose it doesn't really matter - but who knows? Maybe Snacks doesn't know the difference and would actually care to learn. You might be doing him a solid and he might appreciate it.
Just don't bother him if he's on the phone with some Adidas reps.

Asshole me would like to add today......
Snacks doesn't know how to spell the name of the GOAT and his son doesn't know how to spell the name of a former KU great that is a current NBA All-Star.