F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 276

Re: F the NCAA

Post by Deleted User 276 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:41 pm Also is anyone concerned any penalties the ncaa levies will be disproportionately harsh against us?
No. Not after seeing what they're doing to these other schools. I know it's hard to believe, but there isn't some secret NCAA conspiracy to ruin Kansas.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:53 pm I think NCAA will hit KT hard. Really hard. He's the guy who's voice is on the recording saying we have to match.

All Self says is "We good"
I didn't think the NCAA could use that tape...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
Deleted User 276

Lonestarjayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:34 pm
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:53 pm I think NCAA will hit KT hard. Really hard. He's the guy who's voice is on the recording saying we have to match.

All Self says is "We good"
I didn't think the NCAA could use that tape...
I'm pretty sure the NCAA can use anything they want. They make the rules.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Court couldn’t use that tape. NCAA can do whatever the hell they want.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

http://m.kusports.com/news/2019/jun/12/ ... tes=mobile

“During the CBS Sports interview, Wilcox did mention KU specifically. He confirmed that the NCAA was unable to obtain a wiretap the FBI has of assistant KU basketball coach Kurtis Townsend and an Adidas representative talking about the role money or other inducements might play in landing prized recruit Zion Williamson.

Wilcox said because the Townsend wiretap was not admitted as evidence in the trial, the NCAA could not obtain the wiretap and can only ask Townsend about it during its investigation into KU. Although the recording was discussed in court, Judge Lewis A. Kaplan did not allow it to be entered as evidence for procedural reasons.

"Any wiretap that was introduced into evidence [we can use]," Wilcox said, according to the report. "It wasn't. That was leaked. We don't have access to that.

"We can use the information that was put in the media but … we would take that information and when we sit down and talk with the coach we would use that as [a talking point]."”
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

PortlandHawk wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:04 pm http://m.kusports.com/news/2019/jun/12/ ... tes=mobile

“During the CBS Sports interview, Wilcox did mention KU specifically. He confirmed that the NCAA was unable to obtain a wiretap the FBI has of assistant KU basketball coach Kurtis Townsend and an Adidas representative talking about the role money or other inducements might play in landing prized recruit Zion Williamson.

Wilcox said because the Townsend wiretap was not admitted as evidence in the trial, the NCAA could not obtain the wiretap and can only ask Townsend about it during its investigation into KU. Although the recording was discussed in court, Judge Lewis A. Kaplan did not allow it to be entered as evidence for procedural reasons.

"Any wiretap that was introduced into evidence [we can use]," Wilcox said, according to the report. "It wasn't. That was leaked. We don't have access to that.

"We can use the information that was put in the media but … we would take that information and when we sit down and talk with the coach we would use that as [a talking point]."”
Sounds like a bad day for the NCAA 😂😂
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

We good
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Really? I hope you're right but I figure we probably not so "good" if KT sits down with the NCAA and is truthful.
If he lies and the NCAA knows he is lying then that's not good either.
The NCAA stated they can and might speak with KT about the "wiretap".
That's a good thing if it happens?
I don't think so but wtf do I know? Heck, I'm not so sure anyone knows wtf is going on. Including our coaching staff, our legal advisors, the NCAA, and their legal advisors. It's a major cluster fudge and one that may or may not have major repercussions. Stay tuned.
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

Paul1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:16 am Really? I hope you're right but I figure we probably not so "good" if KT sits down with the NCAA and is truthful.
I don't think so but wtf do I know? Heck, I'm not so sure anyone knows wtf is going on. Including our coaching staff, our legal advisors, the NCAA, and their legal advisors. It's a major cluster fudge and one that may or may not have major repercussions. Stay tuned.
So if the NCAA doesn’t really have any evidence can KT just tell them to fuck off and not talk to them? Or is he required to speak to them? Seems like his best course of action is to just shut his mouth?
Deleted User 266

I don't have an educated answer to your first and second questions.
First question - If I had to guess, I would think the NCAA feels they have sufficient evidence. Thus the reason why it was brought up.
Second question - If I had to guess, KY could refuse to talk to them. Not sure if that would or would not be in his best interest/s. I figure legal representation should and will advise him on what he should and should not say - and what he should admit or deny.
Third question - I figure his best course of action (in terms of what is best for the KU Basketball program) is to be cooperative but again I'll say, wtf do I know?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:16 am Really? I hope you're right but I figure we probably not so "good" if KT sits down with the NCAA and is truthful.
The only way they know that he is lying is if they have the recording. They dont.

Not that I am advocating for KT to lie but F the NCAA.
Deleted User 276

They heard the recording.
Lonestarjayhawk

Out of context...
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
Deleted User 266

twocoach - Besides the alleged conversation, the NCAA can and will determine if KT is/was lying about other things. My guess is he offers as little as possible.

Illini - I'm not so sure they did hear the recording. Did they? It was not played in court and they stated they do not have access to it.

Lonestar - If they do/did hear the recording, would it be out of context? I don't think so.

Come on folks, we are forgetting one important factor. The TEXT messages were admitted in court.
No one is denying that there were text exchanges and a "five-minute, six-second phone conversation" took place between Gassnola and Self.

The phone conversations and text exchanges have some bearing on the decision.
Enough so that THE NCAA MADE A PUBLIC STATEMENT ABOUT IT.
Should they not have some bearing? Did they not happen? Have Self and KT denied the conversations and messages took place?

The only predictable thing about the NCAA's decision it is that most people will feel it will either be too harsh or not harsh enough. As their history has proven.
I have said it before and I will probably say it again, the NCAA is screwed. They could very well and probably should nail multiple elite programs and punish them harshly but if they do - their "product" suffers severely.

Stay tuned......
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Paul1 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:42 am I have said it before and I will probably say it again, the NCAA is screwed. They could very well and probably should nail multiple elite programs and punish them harshly but if they do - their "product" suffers severely.

Stay tuned......
The NCAA could very well nail every single program, not just the elite ones. I've mentioned in the past how I've witnessed first hand players being handed money by alum/boosters where I went to school, and that was a measly D2 school that was middle of the pack in the conference. If it's happening that low on the totem pole, I have no doubt it is happening everywhere in the D1 level. Maybe not to the level of Adidas and Nike funneling recruits to schools like Florida A&M, but I would bet that every single one of the D1 teams plays at least one ineligible player if you go by the letter of the law set by the NCAA.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I have a hard time getting too exercised over what might happen here, because it could literally be anything. The NCAA has clearly abandoned even the pretense that self-punishment or self-reporting matters. And yet, sometimes it points to those things as mattering.

I don't expect this ends with Bill losing more than a handful of games to suspension. It would seem out of step to take away any results based on what we know right now, because we so aggressively sat Billy and then Silvio. But - again, the NCAA is bound by neither logic nor rule (and, I'd note, is now implicitly backed in these things by federal fucking law enforcement).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

NCAA ruling is like spinning a wheel of punishment.
We could get nothing.
We could get a one year postseason ban, a loss of a couple schollies and a FF banner.
Lonestarjayhawk

Is KT saying ...we will have to find a way to get him to Lawrence...but not getting him there really evidence of breaking a rule or just unrealistic chatting?
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

In a September phone call between Townsend and Adidas consultant Merl Code, the discussion turned to KU’s recruitment of Williamson, a top-five national recruit out of South Carolina. Mark Moore, one of the attorneys for Code, read a transcript of the call.

Townsend: “Hey, but between me and you, you know, he asked about some stuff. You know? And I said, ‘Well, we’ll talk about that, you decide.’ ”

Code: “I know what he’s asking for. He’s asking for opportunities from an occupational perspective, he’s asking for cash in the pocket and he’s asking for housing for him and his family.”

Townsend: “I’ve got to just try to work and figure out a way because if that’s what it takes to get him here for 10 months, we’re going to have to do it some way.”

I think that is clear evidence of attempting to break a rule.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:15 am In a September phone call between Townsend and Adidas consultant Merl Code, the discussion turned to KU’s recruitment of Williamson, a top-five national recruit out of South Carolina. Mark Moore, one of the attorneys for Code, read a transcript of the call.

Townsend: “Hey, but between me and you, you know, he asked about some stuff. You know? And I said, ‘Well, we’ll talk about that, you decide.’ ”

Code: “I know what he’s asking for. He’s asking for opportunities from an occupational perspective, he’s asking for cash in the pocket and he’s asking for housing for him and his family.”

Townsend: “I’ve got to just try to work and figure out a way because if that’s what it takes to get him here for 10 months, we’re going to have to do it some way.”

I think that is clear evidence of attempting to break a rule.
"Break" is a heavy word. It's clear that getting parents jobs is either not prohibited, or not enforced against. That's "some way" to get someone housing and cash.

This is why it's so outrageous for the NCAA to be able to rely on evidence introduced, but never tested or contextualized, in a wholly separate proceeding.