F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by jfish26 »

Just Ignore It: Nike's response to internal emails that discussed paying high school players

https://sports.yahoo.com/just-ignore-it ... 18802.html
The exhibits are full of behavior that looks similar to the what has Adidas’ James Gatto and Merl Code facing federal prison time. Why no one from Nike has been charged also remains unknown.

“These emails raise real questions whether all of the individuals that may have violated federal law have been held accountable,” said Stephen L. Hill, the former United States Attorney for the Western District of Missouri who prosecuted the somewhat similar Myron Piggie case in the early 2000s.

“On these documents’ surface, they raise similar questions that need to be answered if you are committed to holding everyone accountable for this type of conduct,” Hill continued. “Failure to do so raises the questions whether or not you’re committed to fully and completely addressing the situation.”

The Feds, much like Nike, haven’t addressed the situation publicly either.

Throughout college basketball there is bafflement how people have kept their jobs. “I don’t get it,” said one Final Four head coach, who, because he is sponsored by Nike, sought anonymity.

Of course, that’s part of the problem, too. Plenty of college coaches have long suspected Nike of being a puppet master, stocking a few preferred schools with top talent in an effort to create corporate-branded powerhouses that can rule March Madness. Same for Adidas and Under Armour.

Yet almost everyone in college athletics is either taking money from Nike, one day wants to work at a school that takes money from Nike or fears the backlash of speaking out.

Money buys silence.

Kansas, after all, famously cried it was a victim of its shoe-partner, Adidas, when it was revealed Adidas helped them try to land top prospects. Then it immediately turned around and signed a new, long-term deal with Adidas because it needs that Adidas money and, if it was honest, the help with recruits, too.

If the corruption is everywhere, then it’s nowhere.

[...]

Maybe that’s Nike’s plan here. Hope the feds have stopped caring and tell everyone else to go pound sand.

How it runs its youth basketball division was spelled out clearly. It hasn’t lobbied to have amateurism rules altered. And it hasn't apparently changed a thing.

It’s difficult to imagine anyone could think it’s good for players, families or the game, yet who is going to do anything about it?

The college coaches? The schools? The NCAA? The FBI? The Southern District of New York?

So far, no one. So far, it’s still business as usual in the business of college basketball.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Of course, that’s part of the problem, too. Plenty of college coaches have long suspected Nike of being a puppet master, stocking a few preferred schools with top talent in an effort to create corporate-branded powerhouses that can rule March Madness.

I'm telling you it was CAL. Once he took over Kentucky he got everyone. Then Coach K woke up and said Fuck this and now he gets who ever he wants. Just go back and look at the classes you can see it. Kentucky was getting everyone and poof uh oh Duke gets everyone.
noosh

Post by noosh »

hartjack8 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 pm Of course, that’s part of the problem, too. Plenty of college coaches have long suspected Nike of being a puppet master, stocking a few preferred schools with top talent in an effort to create corporate-branded powerhouses that can rule March Madness.

I'm telling you it was CAL. Once he took over Kentucky he got everyone. Then Coach K woke up and said Fuck this and now he gets who ever he wants. Just go back and look at the classes you can see it. Kentucky was getting everyone and poof uh oh Duke gets everyone.

Yet we remain an Adidas school, can't get shit now in terms of overall comprehensiveness of a class, and we're stuck in the Fed fiasco while the Nike schools just laugh. Also, Nike shit is so much better and that's what kids want to wear because it's what the pros wear in this country. How KU hasn't figured out that the few extra bucks they make from Adidas are actually killing them in terms of lost revenue elsewhere is beyond me.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

14 million isn't a few extra bucks.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:45 pm 14 million isn't a few extra bucks.
Because Nike or UA would pay $0?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I'll just take a wild assed guess that they wouldn't pay 14 million.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

I always thought it was to diferate ourselves from the other schools. Say there were some players we wanted and NIKE pushed them to other schools. If we are with Nike then where are we on the pecking order. With ADIDAS we are number 1 which got us Josh, Wiggs, JOJO players that won some games.

The shoe companies involvement in grass roots basketball is 100% corrupted college basketball. Puts all the college's in a bad spot. Really do not think this has anything to do with the colleges except them navigating the system to help them the best they can.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Good point hartjack.
Basketball wise Adidas just may be a better choice for KU. Hard to argue KU isn't the premier Adidas basketball school. I know Louisville fans might disagree but other than them - who wouldn't agree?
I would still strongly consider being a top 5 Nike school over the top Adidas school - as a better choice for KU.
Nice variety of Nike schools (not all named Duke, Kentucky, or UNC) that have hung championship banners the past 20 years. Plenty of Nike kids to go around and still be very successful.

I agree 100% shoe companies involvement is one of the main factors that have "corrupted" college basketball.
I also feel that's 99% the NCAA's fault and they (both the NCAA and the show companies) know there isn't much they can do about it. Or at least not much they have done in terms of the totality of the issue/s.

Dumb question time. Why is college basketball so influenced by the shoe companies and no one really mentions their influence over Football?
I guess the simple answer is there are a lot less elite basketball players than there are football players.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

do football players get shoe contracts and have their own models?

i honestly don’t know
Deleted User 89

Mahomie should have a model if he doesn’t already
noosh

Post by noosh »

I'd rather be with the cool kids sporting better shit that the studs want to wear because that's what the pro guys wear (Nike) and keeping the feds at bay than being the "premiere" school for a shit brand that forgot to pay everyone but the agents. The federal agents, that is.

We deserve whatever is coming to us for being the dumbasses to go with 3 stripes. Or maybe not dumbasses but meth snorting money grubbing whores.
Deleted User 89

somebody from misery?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If Adidas was holding recruiting back, we would not have re-upped. We've also had the best run in the history of Kansas basketball with Adidas.

A close-second care of mine is fan gear, and Nike absolutely blows in that department. It's for kids and purple tater tots.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 am If Adidas was holding recruiting back, we would not have re-upped. We've also had the best run in the history of Kansas basketball with Adidas.

A close-second care of mine is fan gear, and Nike absolutely blows in that department. It's for kids and purple tater tots.
On the adidas point...it's also not inconceivable that we have very good and valid reasons for not pissing them off.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Very true Fish. I was in the camp of letting adidas go and going to UA or Nike or whoever.

But then as I thought more, adidas could come and hit KU and Self very, very hard. adidas helped out KU quite a bit throughout the entire process, if KU gave them the boot, I'm sure they had things ready to go that would be quite damning to KU and Self.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:47 am If Adidas was holding recruiting back, we would not have re-upped. We've also had the best run in the history of Kansas basketball with Adidas.

Right, because Adidas "fan gear" is so stellar.
In your opinion Nike might blow in the "fan gear" department but I (and dare I say most people?) feel it's > Adidas.
By a lot.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

50 year olds buying t-shirts is a most important consideration.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I much prefer adidas wearables.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:17 am do football players get shoe contracts and have their own models?

i honestly don’t know
It depends on what you want to define as models. Signature athletes will get an existing cleat that will have there logos on them or in team exclusive colorways (called player editions, PEs or special make ups, SMUs). I cannot recall a Nike or adidas signature athlete that actually had a shoe, built from scratch that was there own signature model. The last guy I can think of that got a signature shoe was Calvin Johnson.

I have talked with a few people in the athletic department about the adidas relationship and they did hear proposals from UA and Nike. In the end KU wanted to be the top school for adidas compared to a top 20 school for Nike.

I am certainly viewing this from a different angle compared to most but adidas is, and will always be second to Nike. Nike sets the trends while everyone else follows suit.

The things that frustrate me the most is that either adidas or KU is not maximizing the consumer relationship. Leaving potential dollars on the table. Go look on adidas.com website right now...there are TWO freaking items, shorts and a mini autograph basketball available for purchase. That is ridiculous compared to Nike.com who has 40+ items available for purchase for tOSU, Michigan, MSU, Texas, etc. For being the so called #1 collegiate program for adidas they sure as hell don't market KU as that. Nothing mentioned on adidas.com during March Madness. No mention on social media when KU won 14 straight. Nothing about Les. During March Madness fans could Nike ID a shoe with a logo on them. Nothing from adidas.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

https://twitter.com/tsnmike/status/1164951124698456065

That's the whole problem, Mike - when there's no consistency or rhyme or reason behind anything...it's just an arbitrary, ad hoc mess.