Hudy gone...

Kansas Basketball.
ChalkRocker

Re: Hudy gone...

Post by ChalkRocker »

JayhawkInIowa726 wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:21 pm ChalkRocker.... You've said this like 3 times and its bugging me. You keep saying if you canvassed 50 S&C coaches, you'd get 50 different approaches to S&C but Hudy's was unique. If what you're saying is true, everyone's S&C is unique. 50 S&C coaches, 50 approaches, each of those approaches is unique.

I'm not diminishing the impact Hudy has had on our program during her time in Lawrence, but you're not offering any reason that she isn't replaceable beyond her unique approach, even though by your own reasoning every single other S&C coach has their own approach as well.

Again, not saying she won't be missed, but I'm pretty sure we'll get another S&C coach who will kick some ass and we probably won't think about it too much once the season starts unless we have tons of injuries.
To be fair, I think I posted that exactly once. I couched in terms of "my strong impression", which is to say, it's my opinion. I agree she is replaceable, and will be replaced. I'm just not sure it's as easy as some think. As with other coaching positions, it might take a few tries to find the right fit.

Maybe I'm wrong; I get that.

I think we'll be fine, and vote that we do not close down the Basketball program. But I think it's a shame she's leaving and I wish she'd stayed. That's all.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

have we talked about firing Self because of this? it’s obvious to anyone who’s paying attention that he’s lost control
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

You're an angry man, Traddy
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

This thread is 4 pages too long
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Replaced by 28-year-old dude from the Kings.

https://www.nba.com/kings/roster/ramsey-nijem
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Kings have been ran pretty well lately, including player development. Might be a rising star.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

I admire your positivity/optimism.
Let's hope Nijem earns and gets as much love as Hudy got - and he is just as if not more competent.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Hudy got the athletic department to spend big bucks on excellent, top tier equipment and systems. The framework is in place for success. The hire seems to have good experience so now we'll see.

On a positive note, maybe we will have fewer guys having cramping issues than we've had in the last 4 years or so.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Instant credibility with 'croots that the new S&C was working for an NBA team.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Does it matter that it was one of the worst franchises in all of professional sports?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

In Nijem's tenure, the Kings haven't been a big joke.

Skewed perceptions because they historically have been a big joke. And, KU fans don't like to think that Thomas Robinson, Ben McLemore and Frank Mason just were not NBA players.
noosh

Post by noosh »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:48 am Instant credibility with 'croots that the new S&C was working for an NBA team.
lol CROOTS more interested in us sporting the best gear (Nike) than the strength guy. Some might look at this fella and wonder why he's going backwards in career....
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

OK. Since I'm here messing around with youse people, I have a question. Anyone know of any studies comparing the effects on performance and injuries between "performance training" and "strength training?"

The below video popped up in my Twitter feed, and it reminded me that I hate the direction of sports training. I believe and have always believed that strength and performance are two separate variables. On affects the other, of course, but developing each should be independent processes. Developing strength is achieved through "training," while performance development is achieved through "practice." Conflating the two ensures that you do neither well. I'm open to having my mind changed, but I just think that this is...well...stoopid.

https://twitter.com/norton_training/sta ... 6320202752
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’m DC bragging about her Max Bench again?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

So...no?
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Using my own completely simplistic model, isn't interval training combining the two?

I had a heart attack in June, and now that i'm back to 'running', i feel stronger and perform longer at a much more fit level doing intervals, versus a singular pace or resistance.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:21 pm OK. Since I'm here messing around with youse people, I have a question. Anyone know of any studies comparing the effects on performance and injuries between "performance training" and "strength training?"

The below video popped up in my Twitter feed, and it reminded me that I hate the direction of sports training. I believe and have always believed that strength and performance are two separate variables. On affects the other, of course, but developing each should be independent processes. Developing strength is achieved through "training," while performance development is achieved through "practice." Conflating the two ensures that you do neither well. I'm open to having my mind changed, but I just think that this is...well...stoopid.

https://twitter.com/norton_training/sta ... 6320202752
I guess it depends on what the guy in the video is trying to accomplish. If he were trying to bench 405, then he is definitely wasting his time. From watching it, I would guess that he is trying to maximize explosiveness and lock down his core, both of which would serve him well in game settings and would be important for injury prevention.

I think part of the reason we see more training like this today vs. the 70's and 80's is how much time people spend sitting now vs. then. The old school strength training worked back then because kids were up and around most of the time and had spent their childhoods running, climbing, and swimming, while today they are either slumped in front of a screen or doing the same repetitive movements over and over again, e.g. training solely for basketball year round, which overdevelops some muscle groups and atrophies others. Add in a fast food diet with "healthy" drinks like Gatorade predominating, and you have a system primed for collapse.

I have been shocked at the number of first and second semester Freshmen I see on campus who almost immediately blow out a knee or an ankle within weeks of the start of college-level practice. A decent percentage have surgery, rehab, and come back only to do it again the next season. A few of my colleague in the athletic training department point to the ideas above as the culprit and are trying to convince the coaches to shift their prehab and rehab routines away from a focus on heavy squat, bench, and deadlifts to address them.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The ol’ kids these days argument. Never fucking fails.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:05 pm The ol’ kids these days argument. Never fucking fails.
I didn't intend it as a criticism or condemnation. It just is.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Group A is lazy. Not a criticism, just an observation that a KCAC track coach relayed to me!