KU basketball expected to face multiple major violation allegations from NCAA:

Kansas Basketball.
Cascadia

Re: KU basketball expected to face multiple major violation allegations from NCAA:

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:57 am There’s two conversations, right? A specific one, and a general one.

As for the specifics - it is 100% certain that we did things that were not 100% compliant with the rules. So we’ll start there. But unless the NCAA has a case of sudden-onset-rationality, it won’t matter that, practically speaking, we handled both the Preston and De Sousa situations about as conservatively as you can. It also won’t matter whether what we were doing was normal or some number of standard deviations away from normal. We’re at the whim of the Committee on Infractions and, eventually, whatever the appeals committee is called.

This isn’t about rules anymore, but politics within a flagging organization.

Which is the more general conversation.

The NCAA is going to lose. It’s going to lose in the courts, it’s going to lose in state and federal legislative bodies, it’s going to lose in the papers and it’s going to lose in the wallet. So, as an organization, there’s two paths: adapt or die. The ritual sacrifice of a bell cow program (but not quite the most indispensable program) tells you what path the current powers that be seem intent on taking.

If we’re spared a very serious blow to the program’s short- and medium-term viability, it will not be because we were *right*, but because rationality won inside NCAA headquarters. So, not much reason to be optimistic.
Thoughts of a coherent person
MICHHAWK

Re: KU basketball expected to face multiple major violation allegations from NCAA:

Post by MICHHAWK »

HCBS has won a lot of basketball games at KANSAS. For that he gets a shit ton of rope. He will move on of his own making before he gets fired.

But, I am about the name on the front of the jersey. If I can survive 2003, I can certainly survive this.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Would you rather
A. Final Four season along with wins and conference title taken away
B. 2020 post season ban
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh geez.

I’m tempted to say the retroactive punishment?

because no matter what the ncaa thinks, they can’t make us un-play the games, or un-replay the video highlights, or un-drive the road trip to Lawrence with beaver, or un-not take off the t shirt that I still haven’t taken off.

I mean how often does anyone really say “yeah but that Memphis DRose final four don’t count?”

And I mean anyone in general, not KU fans trying to be snarky.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And regarding the conference streak and what that could mean - how often do people really discount UCLA’s streak even though everyone knows their player payroll was damn near as big as the Lakers? Is John Wooden not celebrated as among the goats?
Trustee

Post by Trustee »

Goats??
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh hi trustee!
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I would rather have what has already happened taken away.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Me too but there is ZERO possibility that would be the only punishment. The punishment will affect the present and the future.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:30 am I would rather have what has already happened taken away.
Of course, yes. It's trite, but you can't make me forget the Duke win, etc.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Anything but a post season ban. The idea of the tourney happening and us on the sideline is the worst scenario for me.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:59 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:30 am I would rather have what has already happened taken away.
Speaking of Duke, how pissed are we gonna be if Kansas is the school that takes the fall for Zion?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Not at all. As someone said earlier “we were sloppy and we got busted.” We should be better at this.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:40 pm
Speaking of Duke, how pissed are we gonna be if Kansas is the school that takes the fall for Zion?
Very pissed, of course. And, it will happen as it has happened in the past.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:47 pm Not at all. As someone said earlier “we were sloppy and we got busted.” We should be better at this.
Which institution is the sloppy one, again?

http://m.kusports.com/news/2017/aug/01/ ... tes=mobile

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -play-ncaa
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:05 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Very pissed, of course. And, it will happen as it has happened in the past.
I’m just not sure I understand why anyone would take seriously an organization that is utterly disinterested in even trying to try to look fair, impartial and evenhanded.

I continue to hope that, if the NCAA fires the big guns at us (which sure seems to be the case), that Bill goes fucking apeshit, loudly and publicly and often. The NCAA will not deserve deference or closed-door treatment.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Let Self rightfully go apeshit but what is that going to do other than point out the obvious - the NCAA blows? We still committed violations no matter how you choose to slice it.
After Self goes apeshit most people who aren't KU fans are going to think little else other than rules are rules and KU has said fuck you to the rules too many times - and got what was coming to them.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Courts might disagree that it won't do anything.

The atmosphere needs to change, and most likely it will take someone like Self going apeshit for that to happen.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The statement isn't hard to write.
The penalties assessed by the Committee on Infractions are excessive, unjustified and the result of a failed investigation and enforcement regime. We will vigorously assert and defend all of our rights, including in the courts if necessary.

We expect to prevail in this matter.

We also think it is long past time for our sport to have an honest and candid conversation about the piece of the pie that is going to student-athletes. While we maintain that the educational opportunities and other benefits afforded our student-athletes are worth significantly more than the sticker price of tuition, room and board, it is clear from the atmosphere prevalent in high school-level basketball that the student-athletes have market value well in excess of what we can provide.

We fully support, and will add our voice to, the growing calls for student-athletes to be free to profit from their name, image and likeness. We strongly believe that an open market, with proper disclosure and protections, will be the best defense against the influences presently corrupting our sport.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Oof, what’s wrong with some of you? Nothing significant is going to happen to KU.