KU basketball expected to face multiple major violation allegations from NCAA:

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: KU basketball expected to face multiple major violation allegations from NCAA:

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:57 pm Oof, what’s wrong with some of you? Nothing significant is going to happen to KU.
I think they'll try. I'd view any postseason ban as significant, certainly. Would it stick? Who knows.
noosh

Re: KU basketball expected to face multiple major violation allegations from NCAA:

Post by noosh »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:57 am

The NCAA is going to lose. It’s going to lose in the courts, it’s going to lose in state and federal legislative bodies, it’s going to lose in the papers and it’s going to lose in the wallet. So, as an organization, there’s two paths: adapt or die. The ritual sacrifice of a bell cow program (but not quite the most indispensable program) tells you what path the current powers that be seem intent on taking.

If this is what you're banking on you might not want to hold your breath...
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Sounds like the NOA may be coming sooner than later. It will not sound good at all but KU has 90 days to respond and from all reports they plan on fighting this to the bitter end.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah, think it'll be soon.

KU classifying Gassanola as a booster is going to come back and get them, big time.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I have heard that sentiment expressed as well and someone feel free to correct me but what I got from that wordage was Long classified Gas a 'hypothetical' booster to clear SDS...something along those lines. With all the legal NCAA bullshit KU has been in for the last four years'ish I can't keep them all straight.

Part of me believes that KU deserves what is coming for them. They were sloppy, arrogant and mostly plain dumb but at the same time if KU gets a NOA before Arizona something is incredibly wrong.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Classifying Gassnola was supposed to be on a different set of train tracks from any investigation into the program.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Kansas has been charged with lack of institutional control, three Level I violations in men’s basketball and there is a head coach responsibility charge against coach Bill Self, according to multiple sources. There also are allegations against football, sources added, although those are Level II violations. The football allegations include charges of allowing an extra coach to work during practice under former head coach David Beaty.

Football is a joke. That is all on Beaty and thus the reason why Long fired him and won't pay him his buyout.

Basketball..come on now. Why is the NCAA still trying to pin KU down with SdS and Preston. If that is all that came from that I hope KU scorch earths the NCAA. What is the NCAA, an amateur athletic union going to dig up that the FREAKING FBI didn't.
Those are big, harsh words but I don't see any substance with the claims the NCAA is trying to make.
Last edited by holidaysmore on Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sooooo at least 2 of the 3 Level I charges are tied to Billy Preston and Silvio. One never played a meaningful game and the other got cleared after a multi-month process.

The biggest thing here in my eyes is the Head Coach Responsibility Charge against Self.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:17 pm Sooooo at least 2 of the 3 Level I charges are tied to Billy Preston and Silvio. One never played a meaningful game and the other got cleared after a multi-month process.

The biggest thing here in my eyes is the Head Coach Responsibility Charge against Self.
Self is rehearsing with the KU lawyers right now. Deny, deny, and deny some more. If the NCAA doesn't have anymore ammo we as the public don't know about, and Lord knows if it did exist I hope it is long destroyed by now how can anyone prove without a reasonable doubt that Self approved payment to players based on rather 'vague' texts.

NCAA grasping for straws at this point. Trying to make KU the scapegoat when they got 'caught' by the FBI for practices that they have for decades turned a blind eye to.
Holidaysmore - 2005
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

One of two things is going to happen:

1. We get what we deserve.

2. We get less than we deserve.

What won’t happen is we get more than we deserve.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And here's a thing to keep an eye on as well. These are all allegations and KU will fight like hell and could do quite well. Lots of moving parts.

sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

The NCAA is only using evidence that the Feds allow them to use (which ain't a whole lot). This is the most desperate "look at me" move the NCAA has attempted to do in quite sometime. Based on the Federal investigation with Adidas, it's like they are hell-bent on blaming SOMEONE. Why not their cash cow KU?

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm actually not sure how we could have played it any more careful with Billy and Silvio, if it really is limited to those two situations.

KU is ready to fight this.

The NCAA has already met with Self and KU about this and there are no surprises in the NOA besides the football program thing. I would think the (weak) football charges really need to stick for a lack of institutional control to be found.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Wasn't it already determined that the football thing was going to come out when Beaty didn't get his money from Long? Wasn't that one of the reasons?

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I had thought the nature of it was different, but I could be misremembering.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:57 pm Wasn't it already determined that the football thing was going to come out when Beaty didn't get his money from Long? Wasn't that one of the reasons?
Yes.

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

This sucks but saw it coming.
The issue is not that we are getting punished but that other schools will get lesser or no punishment.
It's like a police officer arresting you for running a red light when you've seen him/her let people off with a ticket, a warning or completely ignore them.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:09 pm This sucks but saw it coming.
The issue is not that we are getting punished but that other schools will get lesser or no punishment.
It's like a police officer arresting you for running a red light when you've seen him/her let people off with a ticket, a warning or completely ignore them.
It's like getting arrested for going 70 in a 25 because the Speed Limit 25 sign from 1907 was stupidly left up on an interstate.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:49 pm I'm actually not sure how we could have played it any more careful with Billy and Silvio, if it really is limited to those two situations.

KU is ready to fight this.
as they should, as vocally as possible, publicly emphasizing how many times the ncaa cleared both as Certified Amateurs, as well as emphasizing how we cautiously sat both and self-reported every potential issue that came up.

I really hope this ends up being the straw that breaks the ncaa’s back.